Home away from home

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finished that seam with hem tape for now. Kind of depressing. Time running thin. The show I want to go to is next weekend. I am hoping to have it there. Should make an interesting maiden voyage. 25mile pull which will be the farthest the rat has driven and I am going to try and do it pulling a trailer. If I can pull it off it will be very worth it, and hopefully a very rewarding feeling.

I got the bags last night. I also scored a 12V oscillating fan and a couple 12V sockets for phone chargers and crap. Put those in. Now just need to wire it all up. I am hoping to do that tonight. Need to wait until some one can help to finish the top.

25 miles... That's a round trip to town for me.:)
You can do it and yes it will be a rewarding feeling.
Be sure to post pics.[P[P[P
Torchie.

LED markers installed, did a little more on the wiring, welded a little piece to the front to hold the hitch out of the mud when not in use. Started taking the old brackets off the donor bags. Much to do. Hopefully the wife and I will be stretching the top tonight.

well......... not to happy that I couldn't get all the wrinkles out, but it seems to be fairly straight. Going to get out some of my RC tools and try to dress up the edges with my sealing iron. Not sure if once it spends some time in the sun if it will smooth out a bit?

IMG_20140719_205047_669_zpssjmkqwl0.jpg

You are getting there Neverdone.
Can't even count the number of times my wife and I have worked together stretching material. Always interesting.;)
Torchie.

Welp........!!!! Finished up all the wiring, all 12V power works as advertised. Finished all running lights, plumbed the bags and valves, finished the snaps...... and went for a test pull. Drug it with the pickup first. Towed AMAZING!! Tracked perfectly, looked like it was on a cloud floating down the street. I was shocked since well.... it has no shocks... Next hooked it to the rat and pulled it around the block. All checked out OK. So a few days later it was time for the test. 29 miles down to the show, all went well. Got a lot of attention at the show. Then the real test, slept in it for the night, it worked really well!!! Comfortable, enough room to not feel cramped, enough space for all your junk (including swap meet finds on the bunk bed :rolleyes:) It even rained a bit in the early morning, stayed nice and dry. Still a couple things need to be done, prop rods for the back, and need to see what I can do about getting a table in there some how, and some fenders. After that stuff see what I can do about making it more complicated.

Since there is no real picture of it, here is the trunk....
IMG_20140727_164216_706_zpshtshv68u.jpg

And a crappy picture of what it looks like at night.
PantyRaid2014179_zps8faa9d79.jpg

Now, every time you spend a night in it, you can subtract the cost of a hotel room off the build cost...you'll get ahead quickly! Nice job!

Nice work! I'm sure you will tweak it a bit as you find things you want to add!
Maybe some rear hatchback struts for the "prop rod" would be cool to hold it up without a rod!

Maybe some rear hatchback struts for the "prop rod" would be cool to hold it up without a rod!

Thought about it, but since there is no real latch that holds the hatch down besides the snaps I didn't know if that would cause me any issues. Actually thought about using some small pneumatic cylinders since I have an air supply and what not. I have the cylinders too....

Started screwing around the other day with making a table. 3' x 4' hooks to the side. Still working on the legs. Got an idea, just need to execute. Then will finish it to match the camper. Building a frame out of some 1" channel I made so when not in use the table will store under the camper.

IMG_20140805_195449_297_zps3ctnuncy.jpg

Latest posts

Back