Chop Top V8 89' S10 - Scrap Pile

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to see you on here! Those guys on S10Forum werent even giving this project a chance. I look forward to seeing some progress.

Good to see you on here! Those guys on S10Forum werent even giving this project a chance. I look forward to seeing some progress.

Hahaha you're on there huh? Are you the one that referred me to this site? No they were/are ruthless but im going to keep posting on there to hurt their feelings

Thanks for all the info guys, when I get another windshield I'll refer back to these posts and hopefully nail it on the first try

Hey, kind of know where you're coming from.....lol

you do one thing, it looks odd so you decide to do another.....check out my 96GMC.....you'll get an idea of where I went on that.....only started as an engine swap....then did the 59 caddie taillights, then chopped the top, then c notched the frame and the saga still continues.... :eek:

if the windshield thing becomes a problem, iv,e heard of the custom car group will cut a slot in the dash firewall area and slip the glass down into it so no need to cut the glass[cl

Here is a link for a method that should work pretty well. Another member here "drewski" used it with very good success
hope it helps[cl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl5nm48pYFc

There are different methods to cut down a windshield and since you have a friend that cuts glass you should be fine.
The cutting of a slot into the lower windshield channel is an old time customizers trick but most likely won't work with a 12" chop :eek: [cl

Keep at it. Looks like your having fun.[;) [;)
Torchie.

yeah, I am the one that referred you to this site. I have yet to make a project thread on here but I have been watching others builds for a while. From what I have seen, this is the friendliest forum out there.

Totally agree!!!

yeah, I am the one that referred you to this site. I have yet to make a project thread on here but I have been watching others builds for a while. From what I have seen, this is the friendliest forum out there.

I was lucky enough to stumble upon this site (via youtube) before other so-called hot rod/rat rod sites, though I have experience with other make-specific websites. I have to say that this is one of the most friendly and helpful and non-judgmental forums, and am happy for that. Long live RRR !!! [cl

here is a pic of how much I need to lose on the

Windshield....will be attempting the sandblasting method as soon as I get to that point.....it's 5 inches.....of course that will require a new windshield as this one was cracked.....lol

Attachments

• IMAG0921.jpg
    IMAG0921.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMAG0920.jpg
    IMAG0920.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 34
Thanks for the kind words everyone!!

@Jotts make a build thread! Myself and I'm sure others are interested to see what you've got!

@Sarge looks good, good luck with cutting the windshield!!

@torchie I'm having fun, it's a great learning curve for me and a change from just dumping everything I own to the ground haha

No new updates but I hope to get the truck to its winter parking spot and from there start tearing things down

Happy thanksgiving yall

Windshield....will be attempting the sandblasting method as soon as I get to that point.....it's 5 inches.....of course that will require a new windshield as this one was cracked.....lol

Nice work on the chop job there, looks great. I have a link for you that I wrote a while back on cutting glass. Give it a try, it works great. I've seen a few attemps made at the sandblast method and have never seen a successful one yet. Hope this helps.

http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1593&highlight=cutting+glass

my current build is a 88 suburban that i converted to 4x4 with parts from a 78 k10. So I'm not sure it would fit in on a Rat rod forum. lol

my current build is a 88 suburban that i converted to 4x4 with parts from a 78 k10. So I'm not sure it would fit in on a Rat rod forum. lol

Not just rat rods here, but almost everything with engines and tires! I'd like to see it because I have an '88 Suburban also! Would love to do a chop, but might be beyond my current capabilities. Perhaps one day... Pretty sure it will get a dually rear end, unless that goes onto one of my project trucks (which may be more likely). ;)

Here's my hunk o' junk:

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32237&highlight=suburban

So ya see, anything goes! Within reason, that is... :cool:

Not just rat rods here, but almost everything with engines and tires! I'd like to see it because I have an '88 Suburban also! Would love to do a chop, but might be beyond my current capabilities. Perhaps one day... Pretty sure it will get a dually rear end, unless that goes onto one of my project trucks (which may be more likely). ;)

Here's my hunk o' junk:

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32237&highlight=suburban

So ya see, anything goes! Within reason, that is... :cool:

I've been considering a dually rear end on this truck, if you or anyone else has suggestions on how to do so please let me know!!

I'm using a s10 rear in my pickup and couldn't find any dually conversions. I wish someone made 5 lug dually wheels that would bolt on by using longer studs.

Last edited:
thanks, will be taking a look at that....

Nice work on the chop job there, looks great. I have a link for you that I wrote a while back on cutting glass. Give it a try, it works great. I've seen a few attemps made at the sandblast method and have never seen a successful one yet. Hope this helps.

http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1593&highlight=cutting+glass

always appreciate any input....good or otherwise....open to any and all suggestions on any points....:)

Didn't take long to read thru that....

Seems a whole lot easier and a lot less messy than the sandblasting thing....I think that sounds like the ticket....great how to by the way....I do have a question.....

I'm interested in how you maintain a constand and steady scribe with the cutter on the bottom side without flipping it over....unless your hands are smaller than mine and fit between the work stand and the glass....I've made a couple of the folding padded work stands that I've seen glass guys use (as well as other uses)...but with curved side up seems that you would have to stop, then move the glass and pickup the scribe where you left off....doesn't that risk cracking it? Unless I'm just not seeing it properly...or your using a different stand than I'm thinking....

It's been a while fellas!! No place to wrench and currently very motivated on a different hobby. But my buddy has got an old mercedes (pictured below) which we dropped on the ground and has got an LT1 in it, he just pulled it out today and sent me a video of it running. Which really motivated me again, I pulled the truck out of hiding and we pulled my little 4 cylinder out! the transmission will be following shortly then its time to get the sbc 350 in!
Eyhb3zxl.jpg

qwMcIHcl.jpg

jDXpv9kl.jpg

Latest posts

Back