Chop Top V8 89' S10 - Scrap Pile

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Small update, but no pictures

This weekend I am going to try to get the motor and tranny into the truck, just grabbed all new bolts today and using the same trans crossmember that came from the factory. Hopefully in a few days I'll have some pictures to update you guys with and maybe a header-less start up video!

No replies? Is my build really that boring?? :(

It's not boring at all.
I don't know about everyone else, but I read just about every post on this board, but I don't respond to much unless I think I might have something valuable to add.
It's a lot of work it is to maintain a detailed build thread & I for one appreciate all who do, I get to live vicariously through you!
-Chaz

Haha thanks man, if I've got time tomorrow I will shovel the truck out of it's poor snow den and pull it into the garage to get going on getting the motor in

Stuff that puppy! They go in sweet. Sorta? I don't remember, do you have the motor mount kit, headers, and all that stuff?

Stuff that puppy! They go in sweet. Sorta? I don't remember, do you have the motor mount kit, headers, and all that stuff?

I don't have the full kit, just bought a B8/S10 motor mount kit and can use the oem trans crossmember. For headers it's just going to dump behind my front tires which my buddy will fab something up for me.

So onto the next step (in my mind I like to think many steps ahead) I am just going to use the s10 rear end until I blow it up. Afterwards I was planning on using a ford 8.8 out an explorer... but I've also wanted a dually rear for the longest time.... Any of you rat rod veterans have any wise words on how to make that work and what I may be able to use??

I can dig any build that involves craftmenship...

And like Sam said....Don't think we aren't watching...[P..:D Remember...to each his own....

I don't have the full kit, just bought a B8/S10 motor mount kit and can use the oem trans crossmember. For headers it's just going to dump behind my front tires which my buddy will fab something up for me.

So onto the next step (in my mind I like to think many steps ahead) I am just going to use the s10 rear end until I blow it up. Afterwards I was planning on using a ford 8.8 out an explorer... but I've also wanted a dually rear for the longest time.... Any of you rat rod veterans have any wise words on how to make that work and what I may be able to use??
The exhaust sounds like fun.
As for a dually, any lighter one-ton PU should work OK, but unless you do some serious cutting on the diff housing, the wheels are going to be most all on the outside.

We are always watching and lurking...... just don't always say much. After all, it is winter and most of us are in hibernation mode..... But have no fear for we are here. If you have questions we answer if we can. This place seems to have about the best knowledge bank there ever was.

I'm fine if it takes a while to blow up the current diff, that'll just give me more thinking time on how to do a dually. In my head even having the inside tires as wide as the cab and the outside poking out a lot sounds badass to me! The only thing that I've been thinking may not go so well is how a dually is geared wouldn't really work towards all my evil burnout and donut plans :( guess I'll head to the junk yard when the snow clears and take some measurements on what they've got

Thanks for the words fellas, it's -13 degrees Fahrenheit where I am so it's a little less than motivating to get to work on this damn thing!

Would one of these work for your dually plans?
(sorry for the large pic, google images to the rescue)
2mre5no.jpg

S-10 diffs are stronger than everyone assumes, so it might take a while to blow it up. Depending on how its abused.

I ran the stock 4cyl S10 rear behind my 86 with a mild 350/TH350 in it. It had a 4.10 posi and I regularly abused it. When you start running more torque and actually start getting traction then you run into trouble. [cl

I'm fine if it takes a while to blow up the current diff, that'll just give me more thinking time on how to do a dually. In my head even having the inside tires as wide as the cab and the outside poking out a lot sounds badass to me! The only thing that I've been thinking may not go so well is how a dually is geared wouldn't really work towards all my evil burnout and donut plans :( guess I'll head to the junk yard when the snow clears and take some measurements on what they've got

Thanks for the words fellas, it's -13 degrees Fahrenheit where I am so it's a little less than motivating to get to work on this damn thing!

I'm not sure what you mean about the gears... A one-ton is likely 4.10 or possibly 3.73, either of which should help you with your burnout plans... no?

I ran the stock 4cyl S10 rear behind my 86 with a mild 350/TH350 in it. It had a 4.10 posi and I regularly abused it. When you start running more torque and actually start getting traction then you run into trouble. [cl
The guys at Duchman http://www.dutchmanaxles.com/ told me the stock S10 axle was good up to about 400 ponies. So I saved my 9 for another project.

Yeah I dont see why not with out actually looking at it!
Why? Got something in mind?

No, I've just always gotten a kick out of those Toyota dually full-floater rear ends. I read somewhere why the 4x4 guys don't use them & I can't remember why now.

It's near in size to the S-10 you want to put it in, meant for heavy loads & would give you the dually you're looking for, that's why I brought it up. I have no idea what kind of power they could handle, but at least if you broke something the wheels would stay attached to the truck!

-Chaz

Ding,Ding,Ding. We have a winner. jfg455 has it right. Unless you can get it to really "Hook up" you will get more use out of that rear end then you think.
The Olds rocket engine that I am putting in my project is much more HP than the stock Flathead. Many guys on other forums are telling me that the trans and rear end won't take the torque. I know a guy that has run the same set up as I am doing since about 1955 with no problems.
And as has been stated. We are [P [P [P [P :D
Torchie.

Latest posts

Back