Bonneville 2016

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
23crate, I spoke with one of these guys today. Super nice guy! My daughter loves Minis and he took a picture of her and I by the car. She was pumped! They had set a record in one class and were working on another.

thank you Oneeye.. glad you and yours are having a blast ~~ :D

Last edited:
A friend of mine stopped by the shop today after spending the week out @ the salt flats. He goes out and pits for a friend of his that runs a 53 Studebaker with a Flathead. He said they ran 161 this year for a record in their class. Apparently they have a class for everything. Here's a picture of the car and a right up off the web from a few years back.

attachment.php

The chopped 1953 Starlight Coupe Number 653 entered by Gordon Driedger of Alberta, Canada ran 156.066 mph in Class XF/GCC. Engine class "XF" is for Ford and Mercury flathead V8's. Gordon's Stude is powered by a 296 cubic inch Ford flathead V8. Here is another view of this streamlined racer. This car also appeared in Bill Junge's 2010 Bonneville coverage.

attachment.php

Attachments

• bj11bon653fa.jpg
    bj11bon653fa.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 76
  • bj11bon653ra.jpg
    bj11bon653ra.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 75
Have not been near service for a few days.

We really don't know how fast of a run we saw. We did not have a portable radio to listen to when we were out walking in the pits. We did hear a car go close to 250 and a bike go 170. One of the turbine cars fired up at the line and then died as the push started. Dang! Lots of things we didn't know as first timers! Lots of questions I need to get answered before I go back.

I have more pictures on a card that I need to download when I get home.

I have a buddy that runs a 28 Dodge roadster in the vintage flat four class. They've set a bunch of records with it. They did 150 this year which would have been another record but cracked their block on the first run so couldn't back it up for the actual record. That's pretty dang fast for a flathead four banger!

1397562_10153486474825122_1939894469_o.jpg

Made it home! This Bonneville trip started out to be a solo motorcycle trip for me. When we talked about it as a family my 16 yo daughter pointed out to me that we had never taken a family trip that did not involve business. Guilty! So, we changed it to a family trip. I'm so glad we did! It was epic.[cl 9 foreign states in 8 days, over 3000 miles driven, visited the Omaha Zoo, drove thru beautiful Colorado, visited Arches NP in Moab Utah, survived driving thru rush hour traffic in Salt Lake City:mad:, spent a day at Speed Week:D, visited the Salt Lake City Zoo, swam/floated in the Great Salt Lake, visited Yellowstone NP, drove over Granite Pass in the Bear Tooth Mountains on just the craziest little road, visited the Crazy Horse Monument, Mount Rushmore and The Devils Tower in the Black Hills area and got home a day early because my daughter got the call to report to the State Fair for a 4-H job starting Sunday night.

The day on the flats was great. My oldest daughter and I could easily have spent several days there, wife and other daughter, not so much! I did not talk to very many people because they were mostly busy wrenching and I did not want to bother them. With the exception of one guy, everybody I spoke to was super nice. Now, I just need to figure out how to get back there!

I have been in a lot of public bathrooms but have never seen this sign before! [S[SThey were in all of the bathrooms in and around Yellowstone NP.

Attachments

• bathroom.jpg
    bathroom.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 26
Those signs are for the Chinese tourists. I don't want to sound prejudiced but they do tent to completely destroy bathrooms.

i never been to bonneville and would like to go sometime. my baby brother wrenches his bosses bikes and vette. i'll get with him later for details. i do know they are flatties and turboed. the twin engine one uses 1937 motors.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 18
  • bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Back