Pin Striping

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R_CK_R

Hi, I don´t know in which thread i should write this, but i think im right in this one...
I want to learn how to Pinstripe... can anybody of you give me some advice?
I just bought two colours and a paintbrush to practice, but it´s harder than i thought [S
hope you guys can help me out!

I bought a pin striping kit and an instructional video tape from Eastwood. Once again I found something that I am a dismal failure at.

I gave everything to a sign painter friend.

If you are artistic you should have better luck.

How good are you with a pencil on paper? I'm thinking that is the place to start. You don't want to be wiping paint off and starting over very often.:rolleyes: I'm sure handling the brush and controlling the paint is like mastering anything else. A lot of hours of practice until you develop your own technique. First one you are proud of be sure to post a picture. Good luck with it.

I am teaching myself, still learning. Do your research and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. The more you do the more you will learn and you will get comfortable doing it. Go to car shows and find the guys stripeing, 9/10 times they are the coolest people and will answer your questions. I had the pleasure of picking Shane Syx's brain. Really nice guy.

I have a friend who started teaching himself. He was using picture frames for his startup he would do different designs on the glass and then when he liked it he would give it to one of us. He's been doing it about 6 months and getting better. Like super said practice practice practice

Good luck

I've watched talented stripers do their art and it is really amazing. I can't even write my name legibly ! :eek: All the advice I have ever seen when this subject comes up is to buy some one shot paint and some quality brushes, and then just practice and keep practicing.

It seems for every one good striper out there you find 10 who are so so or really bad. I have seen some striping on cars that is not good at all.

Don

I think its awesome that you are teaching yourself how to stripe! Honestly there will be no better teacher than yourself...be your own worst critic and you will go far!!! You can look at my blog, www.andyspinstriping.blogspot.com and hopefully get ideas or inspiration. Feel free to message me if you need any tips or pointers and if you have a fb account I am always adding things on there...im under Andy Kawahara (andys pinstriping)
You should add some pics of your work!
Good luck man,
Andy~

just tried a little bit today, and finally i made something i like :)

first pic is just black and second pic is black with dark blue...
the little holes in the lines are because i tried on wood and it wasn´t exactly smooth...

Attachments

• 2115f824.l.jpg
    2115f824.l.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 75
  • d0563059.l.jpg
    d0563059.l.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 71

but if you'd see it in real, some lines are a little bit too thick...

but i like it anyway :)

so, today my new brush came :) and i bought new colours :)
also tried it all, but it´s not as good as the first try

and my girlfriend is a little bit ****ed ´cause the whole flat smells like paint...
don´t know why [S ^^

tried again today :)
but some lines are still much too thick...

Attachments

• 1a7e8c2d.l.jpg
    1a7e8c2d.l.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 5301dd51.l.jpg
    5301dd51.l.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 35
so, today i tried a little bit...
painted a 20 Litre Canister i want to put in my olds (just in case...)

first i tried to paint a tiki in the middle but as i failed 5 times, i thought a 52 would also be cool :p (my olds is from 52)

i think its not as good as the last pin striping i made, but its okay.

Attachments

• f394040c.l.jpg
    f394040c.l.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 38
You might allready know this but, palleting the brush is critical. You sometimes need a reducer to get the paint to flow right. You will need a color catalog like the summit racing catalog, to brush the paint on and get the brush pointed nice, loaded up nice, and the paint the right consistency. After that it's all practice.

Best thing to practice on is and old window or a piece of glass.

Once you fill it up with practice and it dries. All you need is a razor blade to clean it off.

If the clear glass messes with your eyes, but something dark behind it.

Lungs

Latest posts

Back