how to paint candy apple

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jensen

have this paint i got a while back . candy apple green by dupl- color but paint so it looks like its been on there awhile any ideas

Attachments

• 2013-03-19 15.43.52.jpg
    2013-03-19 15.43.52.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 58
candy apple paint

im just thinking of ideas how to do this cant seem to find pics of ones .

Did somebody ask How to paint a road apple? :)

I've done a little painting and I'm having a tough time conceptualizing this one.

With the candy paint of course there will most likely be a gold or silver basecoat?

Are you wanting the green to look weathered so the basecoat shows through?
do you want metal showing through the basecoat?
Do you want it to look like an old speedboat with big metal flakes and with the clear all burned out cracked and yellowed by the sun so it looks good when it's wet but looks oxidized when it's dry?

to make it look weathered thanks

OMG I don't think I know what weathered candy paint looks like. except for maybe what I've seen on old boats and carnival rides.

if i remember right not only the clear yellows but the color washes out under the clear kinda like it does with florescent paints>
but i don't know what the base should look like cuz all the faded candy paint I've seen like I said is on old metalflake jobs where all you see through the paint is metalflake

If your gonna paint it and want weathered, just miss a few spots then use satin clear coat.
Won't be a perfect copy but, may get something you can live with.

pain candy apple

what if you paint just over the rust . might be dump questions but new at this thanks

If you paint over rust it will just bubble your paint later down the line and the paint will chip off. However if you do want to paint over rust i would recommend using a rust inhibitor. You can buy it any body shop supple store and what it does is it stops the rust from eating anymore metal. When it comes to doing a candy green finish it just depends on how you want it turn out. If you want a brighter effect you need to lay down a fine silver base coat as the candy is transparent. If you want a darker candy finish use a darker silver like a charcoal colored silver or gold base coat.

I own a custom paint shop and we spray house of kolor on a regular basis and they offer a wide variety of candies along with bases and clear coat options such as flat and satin additives that you add to the clear coat itself.

I hope i could help out and clear things up a little for everyone!

Here is whati would do.

Prep the car like any other paint job. Use a grey primer. Then a black sealer.
Shoot the silver base and let dry. The next day and within a 24 hour window.
Wet sand various areas of the silver and make sure you go through the color down to the black sealer and in some spots to the grey primer. Now shoot your candy green. When done clear with satin clear.

Lungs

Latest posts

Back