My rusty/ratty 1948 Chevrolet truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remembered the camera!!!!

This was my solution for the brake switch. I mounted a mid 80's GM switch in the top, rear surface of the S-10 brake bracket and then addwd an arm to the back of the brake pedal. The you hit the brakes, the lever moves up...and off of the switch. (I should have taken pics while the whole assembly was out.

HPIM0430.jpg

HPIM0433.jpg

Here are pics of my turn signals.

HPIM0437.jpg

With the lense removed. The arrow is made from 2 LED clearance lights from Wally-world.
HPIM0439.jpg

These were the left overs from the clearance lights (some cutting required)
HPIM0440.jpg

I made a bracket from a piece of jaguar XJS chrome (I recycle)
HPIM0441.jpg

I re-used the OLD turn signal switch that was in the truck when I bought it (spray-bombed of course). The wires are pulled through a piece of un-shrunk heat-shrink tubing. Looks nice and it was damn near free.
HPIM0454.jpg

Last edited:
I realized I need more switches (electric fan and hazard lights), but didn't want them mounted just anywhere. I squeezed them in my new "seat dash"

HPIM0426.jpg

It was a tight fit trying to fit them in the switch panel that was not designed for any extra stuff. I made a cardbodrd template that was the same size as the switch and used a cener punch to find a spot where the switches fit.

HPIM0434.jpg

HPIM0435.jpg

It worked great!

HPIM0423.jpg

Last edited:
The dash-dash now has idiot lights. The outside ones are for turn signals, the inner ones are oil pressure and water temperature.
HPIM0455.jpg

Wiring that stuff up.....sucked!
HPIM0451.jpg

HPIM0452.jpg

Now that we got a vid of it running, we need one of it going down the road. :D:D
Coming along nicely, love that flatbed.

With any luck, it will be "finished" after this weekend. .....and ready for louisville and frog follies.

I need to:

1) seat the front windshield a little better (the center rubber doesn't rest on the metal divider yet).

2) Install side windows.

3) make some simple door panels/armrest.

4) make a shifter boot.

5) quickly plug some of the holes in the firewall.

6) install some of that bubble insulation.

7) Install wally-world carpet.

8)take pictures for insurance

Am hoping to see our favorite flatbed in person @ Louisville. Won't get to the Frog Follies this year, my daughter in WI is getting married that weekend. If you make it to Louisville, let me know & I'll pm you my cell #. We'll be there from Wed thru Sun.

Man, what a hot nasty weekend for working on a truck!

I started out buy making a ton of plugs for all of the holes in the firewall.

IMG_0296.jpg

Yes this was fresh, clean metal a day earlier. 100% humidity sucks! I welded them in from inside the cab to preserve the 60 year old dirt on the firewall.

Then I installed bubble wrap.
IMG_0281.jpg

Then installed most of the carpet. I still need to cut pieces for the firewall. I also attempted to make door panels, but the clips I had were too short and didn't really work.

IMG_0286.jpg

Dad didn't want me doing burnouts on the concrete, so we rutted up the yard :) One set was mine, the other was his!

IMG_0314.jpg

Am hoping to see our favorite flatbed in person @ Louisville. Won't get to the Frog Follies this year, my daughter in WI is getting married that weekend. If you make it to Louisville, let me know & I'll pm you my cell #. We'll be there from Wed thru Sun.

Dad got insurance yesterday. We are going to Louisville!!!

I PM'd you my cell number.

I look forward to meeting you on Saturday.

Latest posts

Back