TurnFlex Signal Switch Wiring I.D.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old28

Need some help with my old "TurnFlex" Yankee signal switch, made in Norwalk, Conn. USA with a # 730/6 on case.

It has 7 wires--Blue/Black/Yellow/Red/Orange/Green/Brown

I have no idea what any of the wires go to or what is the hot in from fuse box.

I know I could buy a new one and get the wiring diagram, but that would be to easy and I like using the old stuff with pits in the chrome. [S

I just went through this, where I removed the steering column from my 27 many years ago and over time forgot how the wires went. I sat down with the column and an ohm meter and did process of elimination. What you have to do is have a piece of paper and pen handy, and start checking wires when the switch is in various positions. After a while you will see that one wire will be your 12 volt power in (from a flasher) and one will be the signal from the brake light switch) From there it is a simple matter to determine what ones light up when you move the lever to the left side, and what ones light up when you move it to the right.

Takes a little bit of trial and error, but after a while and a lot of talking to myself, I figured mine out. As a start, I would think on yours the green, brown, blue and black would be for the front and rear, left and right lights. It could then be that the yellow, red, and orange ones are for the power in, brake light switch, and maybe a four way flasher mode.(if yours has that) I think mine only had 6 wires, no four way flashers on it)

Just pick one of the orange, red, and yellow ones and start there and see what is hot and what is not when the lever is in various positions. After a while it will become obvious what is what.

Don

BTW, I just remembered I have an old turnsignal setup still in the box at the shop and will look to see if it is the same brand as yours and if there is a wiring diagram in there. If so, I'll post back.

I found this on google may help.

Attachments

• signal%20wiring%20universal%20large%20size.jpg
    signal%20wiring%20universal%20large%20size.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 35
Turnflex S.S. Wiring

Don, thanks for the idea's and I will try again in the morning. I will not be running my pressure brake switch through the turn signal switch as I am using 4 Pontiac lights in rear (1 for tail/brake and 1 for turn on each side). This should not affect the signal unit operation?
I had done some testing with an Ohm meter but had not found the right combination. I will keep trying.

Sneaksnake, thanks for the diagram and I will see if any of those color combination work.

Will post results in a few days

Thanks to you both and have a great Holiday & New Year, Tom

Tom, then your's will be a piece of cake. Usually the hard part is getting the signal from the brakes interupted correctly so that one side will flash while the other light stays on with the brakes. Since you are using a seperate light for each turn signal, you won't have to worry about that. For that application Sneakysnake's diagram should get you there. Even if it isn't correct for your particular brand switch, it will be a simple matter to do process of elimination with an ohm meter or test light.

Good luck,

Don

Signal Wiring

Don,

just heading out to the garage to see what I come up with. Thanks again for the idea's.

Is there any resone why I can not tie my front & rear signal ligths togeather at the frame and the use one left or right wire from the switch? I only ask as I already have it set up this way on the frame, but I can change it if I need to.

I think it will be ok as I am not using the brake switch in the equation.

Will let you know later today.

Tom

Turn Signal Switch

Thanks To DonsRods (Don) & Sneakysnake

Thanks for all your help, this is why I love this site, great people, lots of help for us "needy" hot rod builders and a good place to learn stuff.

The diagram that Sneakysnake sent was right on with the color code and where each wire went. If others have a 6 or 7 wire Signal Unit they might want to keep this as a reference.

Yellow--Left Front Turn
Orange-Left Rear Turn
Green--Right Front Turn
Brown--Right Rear Turn

Blue--Power in through Emergency Flasher
Red--Power in from the brake pressure switch
BLACK--Main power in from your fuse block

I think I will twist the orange & yellow together and run them to my combo LFT/LRT frame harness wire and the same for the green/brown for the RFT/RRT setup as I am not using brake pressure switch and have 4 rear lights.

I will let you know how it all works in a few weeks when I start putting it all back together for the 10 time.[cl

Latest posts

Back