Nick's 52 Chevy COE build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steel is in, wheels delivered. Off to weld up cab cart. Stopped at the farm to get some pics and measurements. The more I look at it the more surprised how well the paint has held up.

This might be a bit out of the norm but I do live in Iowa. It is darn cold and I have a lot of time to think. I have two One-Link joints from a Rockwell Juggy build. It was awesome. Most use four link on the rear with bags. I am kicking the idea of using my One links.

Before you all go crazy on me. I know for a fact that they are way more than strong enough for anything this truck will be doing.

So. Little cad time and this is the start.

Essentially this will be a radius arm. I can fab a mount for the bags from the tube. Adj pinion by the outer C.

Getting the One links mounted below the frame and looking right might be tricky.

Really cool truck and build! That BBC looks awesome!

How much travel do you plan to have in the rear from aired up to aired out? I'd be worried about excessive pinion angle change with a setup like that and a lot of travel. When I first did my 4-link the geometry was awful, basically a swing arm, and the pinion angle changed a TON from high to low height. With really long arms it would be managable but not nearly as adjustable as a 4 link!

Really cool truck and build! That BBC looks awesome!

How much travel do you plan to have in the rear from aired up to aired out? I'd be worried about excessive pinion angle change with a setup like that and a lot of travel. When I first did my 4-link the geometry was awful, basically a swing arm, and the pinion angle changed a TON from high to low height. With really long arms it would be managable but not nearly as adjustable as a 4 link!

The long wheelbase, long drive shaft and long arms will help. I'm also not looking for a much travel. I'm not making a toy hauler. Wooden stake bed. The plan is to set up at drive height then lower when parked. Just like radius arms I can adjust pinion angle by the outer c clamp. The arm length adj by the joint just like a heim

The long wheelbase, long drive shaft and long arms will help. I'm also not looking for a much travel. I'm not making a toy hauler. Wooden stake bed. The plan is to set up at drive height then lower when parked. Just like radius arms I can adjust pinion angle by the outer c clamp. The arm length adj by the joint just like a heim

Ahhh I see! Its definitely a cool idea and if you have no intension of driving the truck around aired out or well below ride height frequently it should work perfectly. I have a stupid obcession with being able to drive my Rambler around all the way down and it has caused me a lot of extra work!

Slight change of plans on the motor. I have decided to scrap the E85 idea. I am going to swap the pistons to get my compression down to 9.8:1 and swap the crank. Going 496 stroker on pump gas. Call my buddy Mike at ARP and he sent me some goodies.

Also got new head studs, main bearing studs and rod bolts.

This might be a bit out of the norm but I do live in Iowa. It is darn cold and I have a lot of time to think. I have two One-Link joints from a Rockwell Juggy build. It was awesome. Most use four link on the rear with bags. I am kicking the idea of using my One links.

Before you all go crazy on me. I know for a fact that they are way more than strong enough for anything this truck will be doing.

So. Little cad time and this is the start.

Essentially this will be a radius arm. I can fab a mount for the bags from the tube. Adj pinion by the outer C.

Getting the One links mounted below the frame and looking right might be tricky.

Every mono-link that I have ever seen is a triangle like an early ford wishbone. One straight bar does a horrible job locating the axle.

Every mono-link that I have ever seen is a triangle like an early ford wishbone. One straight bar does a horrible job locating the axle.

Yes. My cad model shows a rectangular tube. What I actually use will be the same triangle just like a Ford radius arm. Of course there will also be a panhard bar.

Latest posts

Back