Remove Dents....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw an idiot flic his BIC at the filler neck we were flushing the flash took the eye brows off

I learned that trick in 1959 and been doing it since when needed. [S
Even some times use starter fluid to mount large tires.
Maybe i am crazy [S

I've done the starter fluid trick on tires for years, works great.

Several years ago, I had a CJ5 Jeep. The original tank was mia, so I had a 5 gallon tank off of a small air compressor I welded some fittings into to use as a gas tank. Well, my stick welded bottom fitting had a pinhole in it and leaked. Didn't find it until after I had put gas in it, it didn't leak when I had tested it with water, I figure maybe a piece of slag chipped off or something. So, I needed to reweld it. This was way before the internet, I asked a few guys how best to do it, everybody said just drain the gas and fill it with water, so I did. I was welding away, took off my helmet to see a 2 foot high flame coming out of the filler neck! Scared the crap outta me! Even with the water in there, there were enough fumes to ignite. I was glad I had the cap off, or it might have been a bomb! I got away, let it burn out, then finished my welding with no problems....

I have also used starting fluid for beading tubeless tires, successfully. It does not work as ether to put your dog to sleep so you can pull out all of those porcupine quills. You still have to have your wife sitting on the dog to hold him down and even then it's not a nice happy experience for anyone concerned.

I've seen a guy use a piece of twine as a wick or fuse to burn slowly towards the tank opening, when he wanted to burn out the gas, and get some distance between him and the action.

When I have to weld a fuel tank I blow air into it with a shop vac for quite a while to remove the fumes. Don't vacuum them out as the fumes going through the vac motor will ignite. After that I purge the tank with CO2 or argon gas before welding. I have welded on diesel and hydraulic tanks with liquid still in them after purging them with argon or co2 .

Latest posts

Back