Topless American

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronRat

What is your favorite American Convertible ever made? I mean one choice, one car, if you could have it you would never give it up favorite #! car?

For me is would be the '59 Cadillac

For me no other car screamed AMERICA in it's day like Caddy rag top. It had the 325 hp 390 V-8 with 10.5:1 compression and the Rocket Ship design with those Flash Gordon fins. :cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:
Love the big caddys, had a 60 ragtop once.As far as Eldorados, I like the 53-58 when they had their own body style. 59 and on were just more chrome on the same body as the regular ragtop.
I've never driven one but I think an original AC Cobra would be my choice.

Was lucky enough to have a brother in law for a while that owned a 57 Tbird vert(actually a removable hard top). Got to drive that some and it was always around. Although I've really always been a Chevy guy, that car was very cool. 312 motor, floor shifted auto, would bury the 140 mph speedo...ask me how I know....:D

Any late 40's Buick

Attachments

• 47 buick.JPG
    47 buick.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 13
shoot i thought topless was something else. lol
no way i can pick just one, but i might lean toward a 66/67 fairlane 500 gt.

Not American, but I love a 61 MG bug eyed Sprite!

Pretty sure you meant Austin Healey. :)

I went to a car show where there was a '20s(?) Packard 16 convertible that was simply perfect in every way. Looked into the engine bay and the only way you could tell it was sitting there idling was that the belts were going round and round. It was immaculate, stunning, and has left a lasting impression. I think that would have to be the "it" car for me. Or a Duesenburg... [dr

'62 impala conv. very nice. I believe it was rare? low production numbers??

I had a '68 skylark black on black. Stock, it was 'naturally" dropped - bad springs) not great on pot holes but a sweet cruiser.

I had two there convertibles as a kid. Warm summer nights always bring back those memories.

The convertibles that I have owned and loved.
My first was a 1955 Cadillac series 62 that I owned back in the 70's. My High School girlfriend used to get mad because unless it was raining I never put the top up.
1964 Olds Starfire with the Hi comp 394. 120 on the freeway and it wasn't even breathing hard.
1973 Corvette. Not a huge Vette fan but this was a rag top with a 4 speed.
1972 Eldorado . 500 cubic inches of pure American Luxury. Of course it was named "Elvis".
I also had a 59 Austin Healey "Frog Eye: sprite as my Brit friends used to correct me. And throw in a couple of Miatas. Handle like a go cart. But more reliable.:cool:
Torchie

I`m not into verts at all... most drive like crap and most break the lines of the ht versions... I saw Wayne Carini`s `21 Stutz Bearcat on tv last night.... that sure classifies as way cool imo. Also a Jaguar E-type looks better with no roof.... :cool:

I had a canary yellow white topped 57 Chevy convert when I was 17 that I drove to school.
I bought a 61 Vette red with white top when I was 21
About 5 years ago I had a two 70 Cutlass converts. One red with a white top and one gold with a white top.
:confused: :eek: Starting to see a pattern with the white top deal :D

This is a One-off...

But it is probably my all time favorite.

'53 studees rock, but this is :eek::eek:[dr

Attachments

• Stude1.JPG
    Stude1.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Stude2.JPG
    Stude2.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Studeerag.JPG
    Studeerag.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts