More tools

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my buddy has a set... Imo they are a waste of money. Just use a tuck fork and a hammer. Way faster, maybe 10 bucks investment and a cleaner finish.

I made this little 1" fork from 2 small centre punches. Takes a few hrs of practice to make the best shape of tucks and learn to hammer them down without spreading or tipping over. You could use pliers on both sides of the tuck to help keeping it from spreading or even heat the tuck, but it`s not necessary. Once you`ve got the hang of it, it works way faster and cleaner then the shrinker/ stretcher shown. I do own a shrinker / stretcher, and I use it, but mine is an Eckold, and that`s just not comparable with the hf ones.

I just don't see how using the tuck fork would be faster. Cheaper yes, but seams there is a lot more steps when using one.

What method do you use for stretching Dutch?

I'm just a novice with very little experience with sheet metal so I may not be seeing the obvious here lol

go for it. :) Worst that can happen is you don`t like it and screwed up a couple punches. Try a panel folded to a 90`angle and bend it using the tucks... give you a good idea of how fast this really works. If you bent it too far, just use the peen of a hammer and gently hammer a crosshatch pattern to stretch the metal and it will come right back to where you want it. ;)

I`ve taken this small fork as an example, since the shrinker / stretcher shown only works the panel an inch deep, but I used tuck forks as big as 6 inches... works but takes a whole lot of banging.... :p

go for it. :) Worst that can happen is you don`t like it and screwed up a couple punches. Try a panel folded to a 90`angle and bend it using the tucks... give you a good idea of how fast this really works. If you bent it too far, just use the peen of a hammer and gently hammer a crosshatch pattern to stretch the metal and it will come right back to where you want it. ;)

I`ve taken this small fork as an example, since the shrinker / stretcher shown only works the panel an inch deep, but I used tuck forks as big as 6 inches... works but takes a whole lot of banging.... :p

Then do you english wheel it, or what do you do from the point shown in the photo?

Then do you english wheel it, or what do you do from the point shown in the photo?

yes, that panel was a rear fender for a trike and after a few rounds of shrinking and hammering I used the e-wheel to planish it out and wheeled up the centre to get the curve I needed.

I want to ad to the subject that I`m by no means anti- shrinker / stretcher, but the one my friend has is this hf machine and I think it`s just not worth the money, even though it`s a cheap machine. I`ve never worked with the eastwood machine, but I wonder if it`s a different one. Problem with this and most other sheetmetal forming tools is ,there is such a huge gap between cheap china junk and professional tools. Most of the time you`re better off buying completely worn out pro tools instead of new china stuff. At the end of the day, you can make just about any shape you desire with very basic hand tools, you just need to understand what the metal needs. I`ve had my share of china tools, and I`m never ever going back there.

The second video is really what it`s all about. I didn`t want to bring up the stump subject since we were discussing shrinker/stretcher machines, but I love using stumps for working sheetmetal. it looks very dramatic but once the panel is all planished, there are no markings left and you can turn the panel to chrome like finish. Using a shrinker/stretcher would make that nearly impossible. You can also make a reversed curve by e-wheel only but you would have to stretch the sides a lot and therefor thin the metal a lot too.

Here`s another awesome vid:

https://youtu.be/tQCS3KCpNJY

I do have to agree. Al my hand tools are Mac and Snappy. Years ago I bought a cheap auto body set and I think I pitched all those hammers. The only 2 I have are a Mac and a Proto, had them 30 years now. I do have a HF bead roller and after beefing up the frame, it works ok.
Here is another good video with lots of good ideas for home made stuff. I need to find an old oxygen bottle and make this stuff.

I got distracted watching guys work with a wood or metal stump, seams to go fast and turn out great. Does Harbor Freight sell big ol wood stumps with dishes in them?

I'm looking for an old oxygen bottle to make a metal stump and those shoes. At one point toward the end he brings out a way cool tinners anvil on a hardy. Here is a hardy stand I buit to put different fixtures in. Basically a 1 inch impact socket welded to a model A axle housing. It needs more weight for heavy pounding, a little bouncy and jumps around.

The upside to a shrinker stretcher with the handle is they are less traumatic to your hands. I've banged and hammered on wood and iron for 50 years, and now I wake up in the middle of the night with my hands throbbing. The metal stump video sure makes me want to go beat on some iron though:p..

The upside to a shrinker stretcher with the handle is they are less traumatic to your hands. I've banged and hammered on wood and iron for 50 years, and now I wake up in the middle of the night with my hands throbbing. The metal stump video sure makes me want to go beat on some iron though:p..

Yeah, me too,lol, made me want to go pound tin. I also have worn out arms from a lifetime of heavy mechanic work and a full night's sleep is something that is so far in my past I can't even remember it.

Latest posts

Back