Exploder frame

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
I've seen a couple builds on these. One guy on FTE put a 40 Ford pickup on a 1999 with the 5.0 and it turned out pretty slick. I had a guy offer me one (whole car) with a bad engine (4.0) for $150. One owner, he bought it new. Now I really don't need to be thinking about such a project but sheesh, the disc brake rear end is probably worth more than that.

I've seen a couple builds on these. One guy on FTE put a 40 Ford pickup on a 1999 with the 5.0 and it turned out pretty slick. I had a guy offer me one (whole car) with a bad engine (4.0) for $150. One owner, he bought it new. Now I really don't need to be thinking about such a project but sheesh, the disc brake rear end is probably worth more than that.

For that price how you not [S Engines are cheap [cl

Engines are cheap but 15 year old Exploders ain't worth much even if they run. And there are plenty of dead ones around but usually trashed out by the time they die and the ghetto methhead in the trailer house still thinks they are worth $500.
If it was a 5.0 I would be all over it for the heads.

I run a 8.8 in my chevy. We used factory links and all. Works great. I think i gave $150 for the rear end. Disc brakes and all.

If it is done right, a frame swap is a great way to go. Trouble is, a lot of people who do them put them under some fenderless car and it ends up looking really bad. But your plan sounds great, and you could probably get most of the money back for the leftover parts, even if you scrap them.

As was mentioned, that rear is worth it alone.

Don

I paid $100 for an 8.8 from a sploder, it has discs and a 4.10 locker in it. :D

My buddy is looking for one to put his KB1 on for a year round 4X4.

IIRC, rear discs started on the 96 models. Everything before that was drum rears. I had a 93 4.0, it was drums. Put 225,000 miles on it, couldn't kill the engine but went through two transmissions.

There was a 47 Ford Tudor on Ebay a week or two ago that was on a 5.0 Explorer frame. It sat up high like a 4X4! They used all the factory wiring, even put the dash panel in, it looked crappy. I toyed with the idea of checking on it, but I knew it was going to have to be totally redone, so I passed. If it had of been done right, it would have been a deal at the $4500 they wanted for it.

Latest posts

Back