Any thoughts?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that it really matters but that's a Coe semi and not a truck. I believes there's some difference. It would be a cool build but I don't know about dumping 9k init a project right off the bat.

Pretty cool for sure. If a big truck is what you are after. I assume not to tear apart and use the cab to build something else.
Those old jimmys bring back fond memories. When I was a kid we lived about 1/2 mile from the state highway and a hill. I can still remember laying in bed listening to those jimmys drop gears. 3-4 downshifts on a hill trucks don't even slow up on now.

21Willys is right, that's a COE semi. Where it might make a difference is in finding body parts if you need them. The old Detroit Diesels are neat engines, but don't expect it to not need tinkering.

i see $1... lol ill give them a dollar for it

:D

cool truck, i would personally have to put it on a newer lighter frame, cause it being a semi you would need a CDL to drive it

It depends on what you want it for. That truck would make a great ramp truck to haul a car on, or put a box style bed on it and make your own motor home camper. But to just ride around in I don't think you'd be happy. Those old Detroits sound good, but that drone gets tiring if you drive it a long time. They make pretty good power for a small engine, about 238 HP IIRC, but you have to keep the RPM's up high to do it. Lots of gear changing on hills with any kind of load. The old guys said to properly drive a Detroit, you'd slam the door on your fingers first thing in the morning so you'd be mad at it all day and run the he!! out of it!

It being a Cannonball cab, a lot of parts are different than the smaller gas burner 1.5 tonners. And no power steering or AC back then, either. But I guess both could be added, used to be able to get a roof mount AC unit, don't know it anybody still makes those or not. It is the desirable sleeper cab, if you can call a 24" or 36" bunk a sleeper, lol.

I'd love to have it and build a ramp truck out of it. Wish I had time and money for something like that.....

cool truck, i would personally have to put it on a newer lighter frame, cause it being a semi you would need a CDL to drive it

Only if it was registered over 16,000 lbs and used commercially. If it wasn't used for a business, no CDL required.

I believe it has to be over 26k gvw, not 16k to need a cdl. That's if it don't have air brakes and in sure it does. But you can have the title redone as a RV or something to get pass that. Atleast in indiana you can.

You're right Eric, it is 26,000 lbs. I had a brain fart on that one. I don't think it matters on the air brakes as long as it's not commercial--lots of the big bus motor coaches have air brakes and don't require a cdl since they are private vehicles. As long as it's registered as a private not for hire vehicle you should be OK, but some states may be different.

Thanks guy's. I sure do think it's cool but 9500 is a bit much because of what my plans are. (I might pay it if I didn't have a wife I had to answer to)
Here's the deal; my well water is inconsistent and not all that good when it is producing so I haul about 95% of all my water. I have the standard 425 gallon truck bed water tank in my 97 PSD F350.
My crazy vision is some sort of vintage truck with a bigger tank like an old fuel truck, and Deer Mountain Water Department on the door. That way I'd have something cool to haul water up to the house from my shop in town 4 miles away. Plus if I could haul say 1000 gallons per load I could just about do in 2 trips what takes me 5 in my F350.
Funny, everything you guys said about those old Jimmy's is the same as my friend said. He's the one with the old Diamond T.

You're right Eric, it is 26,000 lbs. I had a brain fart on that one. I don't think it matters on the air brakes as long as it's not commercial--lots of the big bus motor coaches have air brakes and don't require a cdl since they are private vehicles. As long as it's registered as a private not for hire vehicle you should be OK, but some states may be different.

They fall under the part of be registered as a RV. If it's titled as a bus for passenger transportation you would have to have a cdl due to the gvw and air brakes.

Here's my old bus that we started aRV conversion on.

I had to do the title swap on it because I don't have a passenger endorsement.

It's a Model 10 Eagle with a aftermarket nose piece. It had a 6v92 Detroit.

I sold it to have capital to start a very large demolish job against my wishes. The guy who bought it was a complete jack @ss. I loved the bus and was very protective over it like I am my trucks. Within the first month the guy who bought it ripped the clutch out, broke the input shaft off of the transmission, ran over a mailbox, and hit a chunk of a blown tire destroying one side of the lower aluminum. It made me want to take it back from the guy and run over him with it!

Latest posts

Back