700r4 tv cable

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthman

Fascinated by rolling objects!
Tempe AZ on the corner of Oak and Southern
I have just installed a Street Demon carb and Edelbrock intake on this 350 Vette engine after removing the injection system it came with. It has a 700r4 trans and i discovered it has something called a throttle valve cable that has to be connected to the carb linkage and correctly calibrated. Any one famliar with these? Thanks Curt

There is some good videos on you-tube showing how to hook up....ck out this one---How to install and adjust 700 r4 cable / Curts corner at Monster transmissions.

I have that set up in my Jag. Within about 3/8" you can adjust the TV cable how long it stays in gear and how hard it shifts. The longer the harder and it's also the kick down cable. Also good to know is the 700r4 has a converter lock up that's controlled by the computer. So when you lose the computer you loose the lock up. There's an after market switch you need to install to get the lock up back. It's my understanding if you run a 700r4 converter with out lock up it'll fry the converter. I'm pretty vague on the details but and expert like Toby can give you the scoop on it.

Offroadrolls, until and if i plan to take a trip out of town i will just be using drive range and not bother with OD. I will get on Utube and learn what i can. Thanks for your help guys. I think this thing will be rolling before long. :D

So Earthman how come you won't share any pics of this project?
Are you afraid we might like it or what?

I'm trying to ease the idea on you little by little so it won't be such a shock when y'all see it. [cl I do want to get the steering wheel in place and the side pipes from the inverted headers on before showing it.

It is NOT a kick down cable like the TH350 or TH400. The TV cable on a 700r4 or 200r4 controls line pressure as well as shift points. This is why when you adjust the sheath away from the throttle it firms up the shift. If you drive it around unhooked you will be making shifts at the minimum line pressure. Think of what will happen to your clutch packs if you do a couple of wide open up shifts with the equivalence to an idle speed line pressure. Not good. Get a bracket made for the carb and a 700r4 and adjust it correctly. It will save you a ton of grief down the road. [P

If this is the carb you got then it looks like it already has the correct hookup for the 700r4 cable and you will not need an adapter like you would for a Holley.
shopping

I went through all this with my '39. I think it will be fine. Had to get the adapter for the Carter AFB and the switch. And a neutral safety switch, as the trans didn't have one nor did the steering column. Just really lucked out that all the parts to make it work were available at the local speed shop.

Latest posts

Back