Should I Build It Or Stop Now?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is supposed to be a hobby that makes us happy. If things like ca$h flow, or Big Brother are making this too stressful, walk away from the project. There is no shame in swimming away from a sinking ship.

Life's too short to not be happy.

While that's true, there are many of us in the hobby that continue on despite budgetary limitations. Because while it may not be the first financial priority for some, it's still something that we enjoy doing or always dreamed of doing.

All the ideas and opinions are coming honestly from people that have gone thru this stuff before(except the epa bs that is likely to change some). I think it should still hinge on how much you want to build something before I would just abandon plans. Everybody that has a scratch built car or truck has had to jump thru all kinds of hoops the whole way just to build the amazing pieces we see today. Battling the Dmv is surely one of the things that will cause you to shake your head and wonder why all the crap is flying out of this hole. Anything that has to do with government regulations anymore seems to be just done that way to intimidate and discourage. There is really no real need for all the red tape they use in their everyday operations. Most people here will tell you too, that the info you find at the DMV depends on who you talked to and if you make several trips, and talk to different people each time you will probably get different stories every time...

My only advice...........
Keep on keeping on.
If it was easy everybody would be doing it.:D
My last wooden boat project was 99% done when I had to sell it. The final 1% was me splashing it and going for a ride....Oh well.
Torchie

just a thought if you like the 40s and 50s trucks , just get one and dont do the frame swap just buy the after market parts and put them on the original frame you can make it as low as you want .. this way its all matching (frame and body with title .. they cant make you keep the original engine , so you can put what ever you want in it , like a crate motor .. you get numbers with it dont you ? Just add them to the paper work .. It may not work as simple as this , but I think Alabama it will .. I think its gone to anything over 35 years old here in Alabama ,dont have to have a title no more .. I heard that , Im not positive , it used to be a 1975 and under didnt have to have it .

Think I may push forward with the woody.:)
But going to keep looking for 40`s-50`s pickup project to make everyday driver.
I love working with wood,but have very poor sheetmetal skills.
Can work heavy steel like chassis,etc,but Really enjoy wood.
Wish I could find some cheap used fiberglass fenders needing repair,but will go without them if need be.
My last build was going to be no fenders.
Here are some pictures of my last woody body before I had to sell off everything.
Will be march or april before I start because of finger in table saw.:eek:
So still time to think about it.
I really appreciate the opinions guys.It means a lot to me.

Attachments

• S10.jpg
    S10.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Picture 421.jpg
    Picture 421.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 1337206992.jpg
    1337206992.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 18
  • S6.jpg
    S6.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
That red cedar looks good. 30 years ago I used to go down the river here and cut cedar logs that had been blown down by a hurricane many years ago. I walked the swamps cutting logs that all the sap wood was rotted off of and only the red heart left. They were light enough for me to carry an 8" 8' long log on each shoulder. I'd load 10 to 15 in my boat and bring them home. I took them to a saw mill and had them sawed into lumber. I have a complete cedar bathroom walls ceiling and vanity. The east coast red cedar is fun to work with.

Latest posts

Back