Looking for some traditional Hot Rod insight

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikec4193

Hi Rat Rodders

So when I was a kid back in the mid 1960's there was this bobber style truck like the one pictured here but (this is a current build of course) I would like to build one with more like it was built back in early 1960's. The truck I remember was pretty crude from construction end of things, it was low but not too low, even had the crazy beer keg on the back. I think it had hanging pedals too, big stick shift transmission sticking up inside the cab...

So how did young guys with little or no money drop these cabs down in the pre-1965 era?

Motors I cant remember what it was...not sure if it was small block or flat head of maybe could have been a big 6 cylinder.

I wanted to build a model A next but I got scared off by the prices of everything model A....so I got to thinking about this local truck I remember from my childhood...

thanks for any insight.

MikeC

Attachments

• 46-international-rat-rod-truck-1.JPG
    46-international-rat-rod-truck-1.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 49
Cheapest route to dropping a cab would be to channel it over the frame. Probably on a Model A frame or similar. But you better be short or it's gonna be cramped.

Sam is right, not everyone had the tools like a Mig welder, band saw, or other power tools so common now. Usually a set of Oxy/Acetylene torches and a stick welder was hi-tech, average guys weren't building deeply dropped frames from 2x4 box tube, etc., channeling was the common way. Whatever was cheapest from the boneyard or farmers field, lots of grass roots rods were built in driveways and back yards with a tree to hook a come along up in it to pull engines...

I was looking at this Studebaker that I found online and I saw a pic from inside and it was really tight...not a comfortable deal at all...this one appears to be the cab dropped over the frame rails...

I could do that...I am not that big at 5'6"...wondering about pedal placement for sure...

MikeC

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 38
I was looking at this Studebaker that I found online and I saw a pic from inside and it was really tight...not a comfortable deal at all...this one appears to be the cab dropped over the frame rails...

I could do that...I am not that big at 5'6"...wondering about pedal placement for sure...

MikeC

It may look cool on the outside but you will most likely be very uncomfortable. If you can't drive it it will take the fun out of it.

The one other trick you can do is stretch the cab. Instead of stretching it at the doors or behind, I'd suggest the drivers side firewall in the foot area. Even drop the floor in front of the seat if there is enough room between the trans and frame rail. If you give yourself enough leg/foot room, you can tilt the whole seat back a bit for more comfort as compared to that last pic.

I'm 5' 8" and that deep channel would suck.
Lower the vehicle as much as you can with the suspension and then about 3" channel wouldn't be too bad.
The 35 Dodge in my signature was channeled 6" and it was miserable to drive very far. I took the channel out and Z'd the frame.
A budget build can be performed by doing the Z on a factory frame.
Study the builds before jumping into something you'll hate.
Find a person who can weld and would like to be involved in your project.

First let me say this is just my experience! I grew up in Houston in the 50's & 60's and we had a pretty active hot rod scene. Guys were into muscle cars back then so there wasn't that much stuff being built like there is now & the guys that were were using 20's & 30's Ford cabs which were easier to come by & much cheaper and most ran fenders! Guys did some channeling but not the extreme channeling like the cars you're interested in. When people started doing extreme channeling that also lead to Z'ing frames to keep the interior space needed for peoples big bodies & feets. On my '41 Ford pickup build I lowered the original frame & did a 3.5" channel which led to a reduced interior. It wasn't all that bad but at 6'1" with big feets it made long trips uncomfortable. There are a lot of examples of bobber truck builds on here so you might want to check them out for more ideas! Good luck & keep us in the loop!

BoB

I'm 5' 8" and that deep channel would suck.
Lower the vehicle as much as you can with the suspension and then about 3" channel wouldn't be too bad.
The 35 Dodge in my signature was channeled 6" and it was miserable to drive very far. I took the channel out and Z'd the frame.
A budget build can be performed by doing the Z on a factory frame.
Study the builds before jumping into something you'll hate.
Find a person who can weld and would like to be involved in your project.
Hi Old Iron

I have been thinking about keeping it simple and I think (what you said) if I do a Z channel that will keep what little cab space there as is. The last old truck rat rod (see attached pic) I had I did a front z and rear z too....the proportions didn't look right when I got it done...There was room inside the cab tho...I never got it finished and I sold it to a young guy in the next county North of here...he finished and I guess he drives too...

I am hoping with starting with a smaller cab the proportions will turn out a little better. If all I do is Z it the frame rail width front and back then the geometry won't get all wacked out...

The truck I want to do this to is totally stock (see last pic) but in pieces...I might even leave the cab on the frame while I do the frame surgery...

I think the traditional look will be the easiest to sell too...

Thanks for all the insight...

MikeC

Attachments

• 100_2885_zpsd3da6ba5.jpg
    100_2885_zpsd3da6ba5.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_2887_zpscc00f14e.jpg
    100_2887_zpscc00f14e.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00679.jpg
    DSC00679.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 12