'39 dodge truck powered by a 6.7 cummins

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunzenrosa

Well here it goes, a build thread.
After taking as much information from the world wide inter webs I have decided to share what I have learned or more so what I have been up to in the last little while.
Since I'm new here and I skipped the intro thread, here is a little about myself.
I spend 2/3rds of my time working in the oilfield and have for the last 15 yrs so I have grown accustom to the lifestyle and being away from friends and family. This gives me all kinds of idle time when I actually make it home.
So it all started this earlier this year when I went out and bought my first motorcycle. I immediately had to make it mine, I blame media for this with all the bike building shows and what not.
I started with buying a welder and some fenders and eventually came up with this

So that's when it all started, this disease, for the lack of better terms.
On with the show before I get told I have posted two different threads into the 'build' thread section.

Hey from Southeast Michigan....

I'd say you did well man....looks cool as heck.....planning any cars or trucks in the future or mainly the bikes?....either way....it's bad a$$....not a bike guy but appreciate good work and good looks....[cl

Like I said on with the show.... this project all got started this summer when I was on time off for the birth of our first son.
I had a 2011 dodge that was on its second life and the insurance company didn't want to give it a third due to the negligence of my own self and that left me with two options. Sell it for parts, or part it out and not really wanting to do either I made up another choice. Choice number 3, build a bitchin rat rod out of this thing.

And after a few bad life decisions

got it started and driving, well 'kinda' on the driving

drove it onto the trailer and into the shop

I spent about a months time slowly picking this truck apart. Everyday reminded me of why hitting an approach at 120mph is not a healthy life choice and just being grateful that I was still alive and that my new born son was also given the chance to not only have life but to have a father around to share it with.
Pretty motivating to say the least.

Notice the all important BFH on the seat, when you absolutely positively don't have the right tool, the hammer will get you out of a bind, sometimes. Kinda like "90% of the time it works all the time"

Last edited:
Yep....lucky you didn't kill yourself....lol

so the damage was mostly cosmetic..any of the suspension damaged? doesn't look like it....you know, like tweeked axle tubes or broken springs.....
Lets see....a 4x4 turbo diesel rat rod.....hummmmmmm :D

So it is safe to say I have been humbled by my experiences. The first picture of this truck was a very beautiful thing some would say. It was lifted with all the bells and whistles, had 24" rims and big ole 13.5" wide tires and on and on. I've learned a few good life lessons. 24"R is not a common tire size, try getting a tire from just any local dealer. Impossible. So now you have to buy a spare rim and tire or when you get a flat your hooped. So do you think those big awesome "looking" tires fit where the stock spare one does, negative. So in the bed it goes. Well now that you had to fight the lift to get that big ole tire in there you are left with zero bed space....makes sense, doesn't it. Oh the lessons a guy learns on his own sometimes I tell ya.
Anyway part of this build is motivated from just being plane stupid and trying to rectify my own stupidity by becoming gratefully humble and the other part is my passion to be creative. I couldn't just sell off the parts and forget about where this truck had put me and others whether good or the mostly bad I couldn't just forget it

So moving on, got the truck tore down to the frame and reconnected the wiring. There is three miles of wires and relays and god knows what that make this engine run.

After I got everything connected I figured I would simply just start the engine and start cutting wires until the engine shut down.....uh ya, another life lesson learned. I cut about 80 wires and the engine just purred away. I then decided to shut the engine off and restart, nothing. So while cutting wires I went after things I knew I wouldn't need like the rear door power windows, speakers and things of that nature. I didn't just go on a blind rampage. But at any rate I spent another three days splicing every wire I had cut in order to get the engine started again. After I got the engine started I figured it was time to just unplug what I needed out of the way and call it good.

Ill have to figure the wiring out later.

So onto the hunt for a body and some other parts. To answer your question SGt the axles and frame appeared to be straight, the front suspension was bent but I hadn't planned on using it.
I scored these two bodies, the frame and axles, two doors, bed sides and an extra set of cowl lights for 160 CAN
from an older guy who had don't a full restoration of his fathers dodge.

I set one of the bodies on the frame and started eying up what I was going to do with the frame

I used the existing frame and just made a few modifications to Z the rear and utilized the original tow package, not sure if I'll ever use it but hey it was there to be used.

Did my first channel and set the cab down low on the frame

I learned all this stuff from a lot of guys just like yourselves. Its not difficult especially if you have the passion. Here I was checking out a visual wheel base

At this point I was looking at using a front drop axle and ditching the transfer case for a 2 wheel drive 6sp manual transmission for the 'cool' tractor factor.

Last edited:
At this point I did a lot of pondering. Excited to continue but started to think about things like all the trim the cab needed like door handles, windshield frame, windshield regulator and the likes, they had been all used by the previous owner for his project and had only gave me two shells. I found most of the stuff online but quickly got up to way more money than I was willing to spend, I already have enough invested so to speak. So I went on the hunt for another cab and found this gem

It was pretty much complete, even had the keys in the ignition. 200 CAN versus the 1000 I was looking at spending on tracking down parts online.
Started with the channeling as I already knew where and how to cut. I used a 2x4 to mark out my lines as it was wide enough to give clearance on either side of the frame rails

Last edited:
this is the stuff that gets me excited, bought me a bead roller to build my first set of floor pans at some point

Now that I had a new cab that needed minimal work besides obviously a new floor I went back to the back of the frame.

That's what I have for a welder, its a Lincoln 150 AC welder my grandfather used out on the farm to fix tractors. Its not a pretty welder and its nothing like the mig I used on my bike. This thing sticks and splatters and anything but easy, but hey if it were easy everyone would be doing it. So I plug away and practice practice practice. One thing I learned is I'm getting to be a very good grinder and the better welding I do, then the less work I have to do. Ahhh lifes lessons self taught

Cant even weld in a straight line, lol

I know that some of you are thinking this guy doesn't know how to weld and he's building a frame that is structural. That's some dangerous stuff right there. I actually have a good friend that has been welding for the last 20yrs now that was more than willing to come give me a hand to make sure this contraption will be safe for me and everyone else on the road. He has a welding shop and up until recent I had no interest for anything in it, till now. He let me use his plasma to cut out these 3/8" plates for the frame. Now that's cool stuff. Let me use his tig too. After watching him I was like 'wow that's easy', then he let me have a go, uh ya, not at easy as it looks, lol but I'm enjoying learning.

Last edited:
So with the rear frame tied together I have ordered some airbags and a four link which I will be installing over Christmas as those will be my next days off.
I have to push my project off to the side of the garage so my wife remains a happy camper as its winter back at home and she likes to park inside

The plan is to work from the back to the front as the front is kind of intimidating at this point. This is one thing that I'm wrapping my mind around. I believe a carrier bearing and two piece drive shaft will work fine. I'm only doing 4 wheel drive cause 1. I can and 2. it gets winter where I'm from and I'm not having two vehicles I can only drive in the summer unless my wife breaks down and buys me that viper I've been going off about for Christamas than it ain't happening

I've spent hours and hours sitting on the 5gal pail pondering

Last edited:
like I said the rear axle, drive shaft, batteries, brake line, air tank, and fuel tank are to be finished before I move forward so to speak

Here is an idea to utilize the last two pieces of the frame steel for the front axle making a cantilever front end with air bags

And that pretty much brings me up to date. I'm taking things slow due to the nature of my business in the oilfield and my days at home are limited. One step at a time with no estimated finish time. This was my inspiration at the start
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...SNSYROy3fDcCBn-kILEWeavYpIJwKEGMbPUZ5mxMbkTGA

I'd say you did well man....looks cool as heck.....planning any cars or trucks in the future or mainly the bikes?....either way....it's bad a$$....not a bike guy but appreciate good work and good looks....[cl

Thanks Sgtpontiac didn't mean to ignore your post there,just didn't see it till I was done with posting what I have. My plans are here in the works, I'm addicted now so I can see me continuing on now. Just wish this bug bit me earlier in life but oh well. It's something my son and I can enjoy now

Sub'ed.......cause this is awesome!
LOVE cummins, have an 03 CCLB myself.
I know you said the front is intimidating, so you might not have an answer, but you going to run full fendered?

Thanks Jml, I'm going fender less in both the front and rear. I have mocked up the hood and grill from the '39 and there's just too much engine for them to cover. The tires are 35" and would also be a tight fit.
The intimidating part is the offset pumpkin and how to set up a unique and safe front suspension without losing the look I'm going for. After I get the suspension figured out then I have to figure out the grill and rad along with an intercooler to all fit into the offset and limited space. I have a few ideas so far but nothing concrete for sure yet. It'll come in due time.
The rear is pretty straight forward (at least in my mind) so I'll start there and as I work towards the front I'll get a better idea of what needs to transpire up there.
I stopped in and started reading your build of the International. Beauty truck man. I'll continue on reading as I've learned a few things in the first 10 or so pages I've read. I can't get enough information. It's true lay an addiction. *this is my edit. <<<< just an example how autocorrect is making us as people dumber. 'True lay' or 'truly'. Sheesh.

Got the rear bags and four link started.

Here is where questions arise, am I going to have issues with such little difference in the trans and diff heights? Trans 3 degrees down and diff is 3 degrees up.

Latest posts

Back