Need a laugh? Craigslist find

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05snopro440

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/5471023926.html

This is a pretty melty 69 Camaro. While it could be fixed, the charred and annealed sheetmetal, frame, and everything else wouldn't be worth fixing, in my opinion. Funny how *almost* every 69 Camaro is an SS Z/28. [S

Sorry for the size of the ad details, I just stole these from Hot Rod Magazine's article about this car.

001-1969-camaro-fire.jpg

002-1969-camaro-fire.jpg

003-1969-camaro-fire.jpg

004-1969-camaro-fire.jpg

005-1969-camaro-fire.jpg

006-1969-camaro-fire.jpg

007-1969-camaro-fire.jpg

008-1969-camaro-fire.jpg

If it really is a SS Z/28, the title and ID plate are worth the asking price. Yes it is salvage, but it will be inspected upon rebuild and the VIN will still identify it as a very valuable car. You can purchase a complete body and every part to build this car, but paperwork is the missing link between a pile of parts and a pile of cash. Unscrupulous yes, but not uncommon...

If it really is a SS Z/28, the title and ID plate are worth the asking price. Yes it is salvage, but it will be inspected upon rebuild and the VIN will still identify it as a very valuable car. You can purchase a complete body and every part to build this car, but paperwork is the missing link between a pile of parts and a pile of cash. Unscrupulous yes, but not uncommon...

Are the VIN plates steel or aluminum on these? I know the trim tags were aluminum.

Still looks like a waste of money to me.

Are the VIN plates steel or aluminum on these? I know the trim tags were aluminum.

Still looks like a waste of money to me.

They are steel, that's why it is rusty in the pic.

A waste of money to some might be a bargain for others. Just the main body shell for repops start at $14k. Depending on what you put into the rest you could be north of $50k easy - that's just parts, no labor. If someone was dropping that kind of coin to build an all new Camaro then $3k for clean paperwork certainly wouldn't break the bank...

They are steel, that's why it is rusty in the pic.

A waste of money to some might be a bargain for others. Just the main body shell for repops start at $14k. Depending on what you put into the rest you could be north of $50k easy - that's just parts, no labor. If someone was dropping that kind of coin to build an all new Camaro then $3k for clean paperwork certainly wouldn't break the bank...

That and if the block & trans numbers match the VIN tag it is worth every penny he is asking. I'm pretty sure those are salvageable.

never seen a ss z28, but i have seen rs ss and rs z28. that car is a joke cause the only thing worth anything would be the vin number as i believe as bad as that is burnt even the rear end would have gotten to hot.

never seen a ss z28, but i have seen rs ss and rs z28. that car is a joke cause the only thing worth anything would be the vin number as i believe as bad as that is burnt even the rear end would have gotten to hot.

I agree. I don't think the engine is even worth salvaging. Everything is annealed now, I wouldn't trust a piece off of that car.

As I said... the price is for the paperwork, which didn't anneal. '69 Camaro titles don't grow on trees. The more repro bodies are manufactured, the higher the demand for original papers gets. Just ask anyone with a early Ford. One can't just pull a title out of thin air, as many of you know. If someone has the coin to build a new Camaro, they have a extra couple grand to drop on the ONE thing that makes it a legally operational vehicle. That is the seller's target audience here, or at least it would be if it were mine...

Last edited:
my uncle pulled a caddy motor that burnt to the ground, put it in a ford truck and ran it for years with out a rebuild. they had to break the carb off and changed the valve covers. it was as bad if not worst the the one pictured. but that is not a chance i would take.

As I said... the price is for the paperwork, which didn't anneal. '69 Camaro titles don't grow on trees. The more repro bodies are manufactured, the higher the demand for original papers gets. Just ask anyone with a early Ford. One can't just pull a title out of thin air, as many of you know. If someone has the coin to build a new Camaro, they have a extra couple grand to drop on the ONE thing that makes it a legally operational vehicle. That is the seller's target audience here, or at least it would be if it were mine...

i agree you can get the papers and go to dynacorn and get a brand new body. only problem is you will have more in it then it is worth.

tittle discussion

If car is burnt as bad as pic the vin plate I think is aluminum would it not melt too? Therefore rendering the tittle useless or scary to use.

If car is burnt as bad as pic the vin plate I think is aluminum would it not melt too? Therefore rendering the tittle useless or scary to use.

Yeah, that's how I feel. Other than the rare case that 26T is talking about (which is also fraudulent), for 95% of enthusiasts this probably holds no value.

There's a reason that Hot Rod and 3 other magazines shared this. http://www.hotrod.com/news/1603-craigslist-excellence-1969-camaro-fire-sale/

People often claim stuff can be used after a fire, but a fire like this where it melted the valve covers I wouldn't trust it.

Last edited:

Title. ;)

The VIN plate is pictured. Aluminum doesn't rust. It is steel and the numbers are legible. Maybe no use to 95% of enthusiasts, but it holds big value for the 5% of guys rich enough to build a new Camaro. There are plenty of them too, otherwise Dynacorn wouldn't be marketing and selling $14k body shells. I would bet dollars to donuts that drivetrain is salvageable, but even if it isn't - The right '69 will bring upwards of $50-$80k at auction, possibly MUCH more on the right day. Those numbers are easily researched, and were just from a quick glance at this year's results. Without a proper title however, it won't even be worth the sum of the parts. See where $2-$3k spent on papers comes in real handy? There's a reason Hot Rod said it was an opportunity and a foundation. Some folks see the trees, others see the forest...

Latest posts

Back