Rustoleum?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am painting a friend's '65 Scout in Forest Green and White Rustoleum hopefully by summer. We are going to spray and I do have a respirator. When we do it I will post pictures.

Hello Ratrod94,Ive used rustoleum before+had good luck with it.If your going to paint a frame or something like that you can mix it with mineral spirits+it will work. Ive painted some work trucks with it +I mixed it with automotive enamel reducer+hardener.{Get it where they sell auto paint at}The hardener makes a big difference,it makes the paint alot more durable.A pint of hardener will cost more than a gallon of paint,but its worth it.I wouldnt paint a car without it.Dont forget to turn your air hose off when your done,a busted hose will ruin your day..Good luck ..I started painting cars in 1980 if you got any other ? Id b glad to help

Hello Ratrod94,Ive used rustoleum before+had good luck with it.If your going to paint a frame or something like that you can mix it with mineral spirits+it will work. Ive painted some work trucks with it +I mixed it with automotive enamel reducer+hardener.{Get it where they sell auto paint at}The hardener makes a big difference,it makes the paint alot more durable.A pint of hardener will cost more than a gallon of paint,but its worth it.I wouldnt paint a car without it.Dont forget to turn your air hose off when your done,a busted hose will ruin your day..Good luck ..I started painting cars in 1980 if you got any other ? Id b glad to help

I agree with eveything above....I have had 5 roundy round racecars in the past 10 years...painted everyone of them with "rustoleum". I cant vouch for the hardener end of things but no real problems....not that hard to do actually...yes I would say...give it a shot...it you dont like it you be out that's much money that for sure...

MikeC

You might also consider Valspar tractor enamel from Tractor Supply. Its better quality than rusto and lays down nice and smooth.

I painted this with Valspar. It was decently tough and looked good.

Attachments

• Speedster 1.jpg
    Speedster 1.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 173
Valspar low-end

I used the Valspar implement paint and it was super glossy till it cured! Used the hardener too, but wont't use it again.

Been painting corporate aircraft for almost 30 years. The tractor supply/ rural king implement paint works well when used with the hardener. Follow all the usual precations ( clean, dry air supply, proper ventilation and good prep) and it will deliver very good results.[;)

Try some rat rod camo i painted my truck with chassis saver first ( it was rusty)Then a coat of gray valspar then orang valspar and the red valspar let dry and sand till you get the look you like. if you scratch it paint and sand looks all the same.

Attachments

• Photo579.jpg
    Photo579.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 150
  • Photo583.jpg
    Photo583.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 151
  • Photo591.jpg
    Photo591.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 168
  • rat rod 0000.jpg
    rat rod 0000.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 201
Has Anyone worked with rustoleum? i think when i go to paint my car im going with a black rustoleum paint job looks really nice any tips?

I think it depends on what you are going for. As stated in other posts, if you are going to spray it use a hardener. It's tough to work with and the results are usually ok at best. (my opinion). If you're looking to save money and get a decent looking paint job and do it yourself, consider the Dupli-color paint shop system. It's designed for the do it yourselfer, it's premixed, it's lacquer, it's much easier to fix runs, drips, orange peel, etc. It's a little more $$ than the rustoleum but the results a far better. Again, depends on what you're looking for.

Not to pile on, but here is my two cents.
If I was going to brush or roll I would use Rustoleum. If going to spray I think that you will be better off with an Automotive paint with hardener. From my experience spraying the stuff can be tricky and I'm no newbie with a spray gun.

It does tend to get chalky looking with to much sun exposure plus if you ever repaint you will need to use Rustoleum again or strip it down to bare metal due to compatiblity issue's.
I am not a Rustoleum basher by any means as is evidenced by the pic I am posting.
1955 Thompson Off Shore lapstrake boat. Hull side are brush painted with Rustoleum.
What ever you choose post some pics.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_2880.jpg
    IMG_2880.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 67
The thing about Rustoleum is that it's so darn cheap!! Wish I'd thought of using hardener, it takes forever to dry. I used it on everything on my Black Rat project, though it takes practice to avoid runs (still got some...). I tried thinning with mineral spirits and Acetone with varying results. Like was said - recoating can sometimes be tricky, too heavy and it will lift the under coat, even Rustoleum primer. It's also a bugger to wet sand, though I expect using hardner would help there. I use it lots on frames since a perfect finish isn't essential, and find that it lasts a long time (also if prep is not too sanitary on a frame, it'll still hang onto grease and rusty metal - better than nothing :))

Attachments

• june 16 10 rat 55 038 a.jpg
    june 16 10 rat 55 038 a.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 127
  • june 16 10 rat 55 025 a.jpg
    june 16 10 rat 55 025 a.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 131
Just sprayed my A bucket with Rustoleum . I used High Heat satin black and thinned it with acetone. It won't run while you spray it on, it looks dark brown while it cures but turns black in a week. It's very tough after it cures. Did I mention it WON'T run!!!:)

I used sherwin Williams all purpose

Sprayed great in bad conditions , they mix colors for you and are always having sales, that's the house paint store not the car paint store.
You can also harden it. Not sure about holding up since I'm still wiring the motor but the semi gloss is a nice satin ish finish. My firewall is rustoleum purely because it was the color I wanted

I painted my 64 Pick up with Rusto....

It tuned out good...

I shot the bottom gloss black then used some dupli-color metal flake (clear coat) over the top of it. (wish I would have done a few more coats) the paint has held up very well over the past two years and the truck stays outside... I think I did the whole paint job for under $80. The frog tape was the most costly part, but WOW those lines were super straight and didn't bleed a bit.

I always use rusto with acetone for my flats, the acetone as a thinner seems to dry the paint better than the mineral spirits for me, but I could be doing it wrong LOL.

Attachments

• DSC00798.jpg
    DSC00798.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
paint ideas

You could ask someone who has worked with auto paint .henrys47merc.laughing with a smile .

Latest posts

Back