1934 Cadillac

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you should take the second photo back to the old owner and say " see what I did with that car!" Watch him fall down! [cl

You have the early version of selective ride control![/QUOTE

I'm sure he'd think I was totally nuts and had ruined the car :eek:!! He said that he'd like to come by and see how I was doing with it - that's why I want to get it inside quick so he doesn't want to burn my house down....

Progress!

Those frame rails look nice and beefy, are you going to try and use parts of the original frame or start fresh??

They are massive ! I'm going to start fresh tho.... looking for a front clip of the right width - S10 pickup is too narrow, even with 8" wheels, they would be 5" in from the fender edge. Possible a G body front clip, then all new from there back, likely 2x6" rails. Also hunting for a rearend, about 56" drum to drum. Did get a tasty piece of the pie today, a 500 Caddy engine :D , plus Turbo 400 and a driveshaft. I'm sure the 500 is half the weight of the original motor - even tho it is now just a frame and engine, I can still barely push it around on the dolly.

Attachments

• sep 07 10  34 cadillac 001z.jpg
    sep 07 10 34 cadillac 001z.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 164
Spent ALL day taking the wood out of the doors - good riddance !! They built the wood frame and mounted it into the door frame BEFORE the door skin was crimped on so the only way to take it out is in splinters.
Now I have a pile of tin that I can do something with.... I'll start with something easy - lengthening the front doors, then build a wood frame to mount the cowl and rear section to and start squaring it up.

Attachments

• sep 13 10  34 cadillac 003z.jpg
    sep 13 10 34 cadillac 003z.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 212
  • sep 13 10  34 cadillac 005z.jpg
    sep 13 10 34 cadillac 005z.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 182
Great project, gonna follow this build closely. Did ya consider maybe a pickup stub, or maybe complete frame, say a stretchcab?????? (Just my ole brain malfunctionin') However ya build it'll be b*tchin' [P

It saw a car at a local cruise night that you might like to see pictures of. If I remember correctly, it was a 1935 LaSalle. Not sure what they called the body style, but other makes called this body style a 5 passenger coupe. Oh yeah, this one had a 500 cad motor in it!

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

Last edited:
How unique is that?!?! I can't wait to see this one taking shape.

Awesome choice on the engine by the way! ;) :cool:

Thanks! I thought the engine choice would hit a note with you..

Great project, gonna follow this build closely. Did ya consider maybe a pickup stub, or maybe complete frame, say a stretchcab?????? (Just my ole brain malfunctionin') However ya build it'll be b*tchin' [P

Haven't found a pickup front end the right width, I need 58 - 60" hub to hub and would like a 5 on 4 1/2 or 5 on 4 3/4 bolt pattern for the best wheel choices. Closest I've found is the late 70's Malibu, Monte, Cutlass type, width is good, though the steering box is pretty far out front, might just fit behind the fender. S10 pickup is way too narrow.

It saw a car at a local cruise night that you might like to see pictures of. If I remember correctly, it was a 1935 LaSalle. Not sure what they called the body style, but other makes called this body style a 5 passenger coupe. Oh yeah, this one had a 500 cad motor in it!

Beautiful car!! It's a 33 Lasalle, they often called that body style a 'close coupled sedan' though it's still probably larger inside than a Model A Tudor. Interestingly the dash is very similar to my 34. Very nice stealth / resto-rod, the only tip-offs are the Lokar shifter, single pedal and AC ducts under the dash.

Organ donor....

Found a cheap 78 Malibu ($300) and trailered it home today. It will be unlucky enough to donate it's front clip, power steering pump, master cylinder/booster, etc. I may even use the rear 4 link arms for the rear suspension, with a little reinforcing, they will save building my own. It even has a running 350 and 700R4 tranny that I'll save for a future project. It has the usual rear frame rot so it wouldn't have been able to pass a safety check anyway....

Attachments

• sept 23 10 organ donor 004.jpg
    sept 23 10 organ donor 004.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 65
  • sept 23 10 organ donor 001.jpg
    sept 23 10 organ donor 001.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 65
Whyt not ditch the steering box and swap to a rack. Alot slimmer up front. Lighter too. Not to hard to lay into the front of the stock crossmember. This one was done on a 70 C10 but it is the same idea for the malibu.

truckpics001.jpg

jacotttruck3004.jpg

Definitely a good idea, I've thought about doing just that, just have to tweak the Chevy pump to work with that Ford rack. I'll see how the Malibu box fits under the fender first, tho I'ts good to have a plan B. Does the Ford rack have enuf travel to work with the Chev steering arms ? I had a buddy that swapped one into a 55 Chev and really increased the turning radius...

This one was used in a T bird and it worked out almost perfect. the turning radius change is due to the travel in the rack but also the length of the steering arm. I ran into the same issue when I swapped in an AGR 12:1 box in my chevelle. The internal stops on the box were closer than the original. So I have a bigger turning radius now.

After some quality time with the impact wrench and cutting torch, the Malibu gave up it's front clip, it needs a bunch more OEM ugliness shaved off it yet.
Got the garage cleared out today and brought in the body pieces in prep for reassembly into a new shape....

Attachments

• sept 26 10 34 cadillac 002.jpg
    sept 26 10 34 cadillac 002.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 241
  • sept 26 10 34 cadillac 003.jpg
    sept 26 10 34 cadillac 003.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 222
  • sept 26 10 34 cadillac 005.jpg
    sept 26 10 34 cadillac 005.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 210
Looks awesome! Great to see another Canuck...nay, another bc'r ratting! I'm in Nelson, not a lot of us around here. Keep up the hood work, maybe we'll catch each other at an event next season :)

Looks awesome! Great to see another Canuck...nay, another bc'r ratting! I'm in Nelson, not a lot of us around here. Keep up the hood work, maybe we'll catch each other at an event next season :)

I was planning to go to the Sept show in Nelson this year, but went to Radium Hot springs instead - DARN cold !! It was a 5 1/2 hr drive, good to have a rod with wipers and a heater ! Only 650 or so in attendance, down from last years 935, mostly from Alberta, I was surprised to see how many came on stretchers, still a good time tho. Hopefully Nelson next year...
Here's a few Radium pics.

Attachments

• sept 18 10 radium 042.jpg
    sept 18 10 radium 042.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 128
  • sept 18 10 radium 002.jpg
    sept 18 10 radium 002.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 123
  • sept 18 10 radium 019.jpg
    sept 18 10 radium 019.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 135
  • sept 18 10 radium 024.jpg
    sept 18 10 radium 024.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 120
  • sept 18 10 radium 030.jpg
    sept 18 10 radium 030.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 129
Sliced and diced the front doors today, took 12" off and added on 18" from the opposite side rear doors to make them 6" longer. Fortunately the rear doors were the same height so the lines match up. I left the door tops off till the rest of the body is together so they can be matched to the opening.
Feels good to get started tho my welding helmet went on the fritz and won't darken (more cheap import crap !), gotta get a new one, Im seeing spots !!

Attachments

• sept 28 10 34 cadillac 001.jpg
    sept 28 10 34 cadillac 001.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 236
  • sept 28 10 34 cadillac 003.jpg
    sept 28 10 34 cadillac 003.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 193
haha! I never thought of taking the other side rear door to make the fronts longer! good idea. Don't mind me, I am a slow learner. Looking good. [P

Latest posts

Back