Newly commited to becoming a rat rodder

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skittle

Hi Guys I am a 30 Year old from Alberta, Canada. I am a Journeyman R.V. Tech and own my own company repairing trailers/rvs. I own a 1986 Chevy C10 Long box, that I have owned for about 13 Years. I have built it up, lowered it and customized it on the cheap to put it nicely. To get it to where I would love to see the truck it would cost ALOT of money. I have come to a crossroad to where i get rid of the truck or I start chopping and creating something that falls more along the lines of a rat rod. I realise that my truck is a newer style than your typical rod but I feel like in the rat rod world there is no rules. Am I as crazy as my wife thinks I am? Or can this project turn out pretty decent? Love to hear feedback

Attachments

• 199586_4614548421_960_n.jpg
    199586_4614548421_960_n.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 28
I am sure your more than correct earthman. Fact is where i am there is no longer a '46 in a field, heck there isnt even a '75 in a field anymore. now adays the generation has changed to young kids remembering their dads coming home in their brand new prius instead of their GTO or vette. Its quite sad really. the avergae man cant ever tinker on thier cars anymore without a laptop in thier hands.

Welcome from Flawda! My opinion is keep on looking for an older truck to build. Form the ideas of what you want and start gathering parts. Something will come up from surpring places. That's a nice Chevy you have and you'll need a runner to bring the stuff home. But as always, it's your choice and there are many. I looked for a long time down here in the liquid sunshine state for something to build. They usually don't last out in the open here and I couldn't justify buying something more complete with the prices and my pocketbook. Anything that stayed out in our weather was less than scrap. The complete stuff went for prices that some of these guys find for cheap, went for prices beyond me. Like Earthman said, "that will not get nearly the satisfying attention". I bet your truck in present condition gets alot of attention.
Sorry for the motor jaw but welcome to the best car/truck forum around. This place is a virtual encyclopedia of information and ideas...

Howdy and welcome,I"m with the other guys,I think you would like a old truck better.Sometimes you can find a good deal on a project that somebody started,but cant finish.

Looks like you have a pretty nice truck there. Why ruin it? Instead of wishing how much more money it had in it, just enjoy it for what it is and have fun. That's the spirit of hot rodding to me...

Thats what the truck looked like about 13 years ago when I first fixed it up. The years havnt been kind rust has returned to the rear fenders. Had a small en counter with a minivan on paseenger rear corner. Have over 600 000 km on orignial 305. So have a new engine being built now for it. I have a 2010 chev for my daily driver. I guess maybe rat rod wouldnt be the right term for what I am gonna do. I wanna chop the top. Remove box sides. Chop off as much frame from the back I can. Go open wheel on the rear. Im just going to have fun with it and stop worrying about bondo and paint so much

Welcome to RRR from northern Alberta. Grande Prairie area. Where are you in Alberta.
There's nothing wrong with customizing your own truck to your dreams.
There's nothing wrong with keeping you eye out for an old truck to fix up.

Welcome from SoCal. The whole idea of the sport is to due what you like [;)
The picture of you truck is a little deceiving [S Only 600,000 Km, just getting broke in :rolleyes:
have fun with it and keep us up to date with pix. [cl

Latest posts

Back