Door popper/solenoid help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarDog

I have a 58 Ford wagon and shaved the doors, my problem or maybe not is that the solenoids don't want to overcome the spring tension and unlatch the door if I leave the inside door handle connecting bar attached to the door latch so.

Question, is it typical to remove inside handle also and just use the fob to open the doors when getting out also or?

The solenoids I have are plenty strong enough I believe and placement is good, fairly straight for leverage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chew

I have a 58 Ford wagon and shaved the doors, my problem or maybe not is that the solenoids don't want to overcome the spring tension and unlatch the door if I leave the inside door handle connecting bar attached to the door latch so.

Question, is it typical to remove inside handle also and just use the fob to open the doors when getting out also or?

The solenoids I have are plenty strong enough I believe and placement is good, fairly straight for leverage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chew

Most times the inner door handle is left on for safety reasons. Solenoids come in different rates of Lbs. pull as I'm sure you know.
The inside handle should not be moving when the solenoid is activated, just like the inside handle does not move when the outside handle was used.
A couple of questions.
How well does the door open when you use the handle? Is it an easy open/close or do you have to lift up or push the door in to get it to latch.
If you are using poppers(Spring loaded Buttons) to push the door open when the solenoid activates, is it putting too much outward pressure on the door to keep the latch from releasing?
Post up some picks of your setup if you can.
Keep messing with it and keep us posted.
Torchie

Most times the inner door handle is left on for safety reasons. Solenoids come in different rates of Lbs. pull as I'm sure you know.
The inside handle should not be moving when the solenoid is activated, just like the inside handle does not move when the outside handle was used.
A couple of questions.
How well does the door open when you use the handle? Is it an easy open/close or do you have to lift up or push the door in to get it to latch.
If you are using poppers(Spring loaded Buttons) to push the door open when the solenoid activates, is it putting too much outward pressure on the door to keep the latch from releasing?
Post up some picks of your setup if you can.
Keep messing with it and keep us posted.
Torchie

Thanks Torchie

The doors are aligned properly, no rubbing, sag etc. I'am using poppers, as far as putting to much pressure on the door, they open great if the inside handle connecting rod for latch isn't hooked up. The doors are big so i probably do have the poppers setup for max pressure to open them.
Pretty stiff spring on the inside handle and it has to move maybe more than the stroke of the solenoid, something I'm looking into.

Good on many points but I still don’t understand why the rod/ bar going to the inner door handle is affecting anything.That doesn’t make sense.
When stock, the inner handle and the outer push button? work independently of each other.
Does this door have a push button style lock or do you lock it via the inside handle.
Torchie

Good on many points but I still don’t understand why the rod/ bar going to the inner door handle is affecting anything.That doesn’t make sense.
When stock, the inner handle and the outer push button? work independently of each other.
Does this door have a push button style lock or do you lock it via the inside handle.
Torchie

Hey Torchie

After re-reading your post I went back out to the shop and sure enough my inside handle was moving so I activated the paddle the outside handle used to open the door and bingo, didn't realize and couldn't really see the 2nd mechanism that operates the lock latch. Looks like I can drill a hole for my cable there and my solenoid won't have to overcome the inner handle spring, should work properly.

Thanks, feel kinda DUH but didn't really see it...

Good!
I was struggling to find the right words to get my point across lol
Never feel dumb when you are learning new things.
Glad to have helped.
Keep at it.
Torchie

I think you did a wonderful job of wording that post...

Good!
I was struggling to find the right words to get my point across lol
Never feel dumb when you are learning new things.
Glad to have helped.
Keep at it.
Torchie

Absolutely the inside door handle should not move with the solenoid.. [P

Latest posts

Back