1945 dodge brothers truck first time rod build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redyota

brought this home a few months ago and have made some head way so i decided to make post about it 1945 dodge brothers truck cab building a box tubing frame and have a cummins 4bt to drop in it.
first thing was to see if i could manage to swap the front axle over to new disc brakes made some wooden templates and used explorer rotors and chevy calipers this should work out fine.

the start of the frame some 2x4 and 2x6 .125 wall box tubing will be platting the sides with some 11ga when I'm done

cummins and nv4500 mocked into place
had to duplicate the drivers side mount so i could take the 10deg lean out of the motor that the step van had in it.
frame mounts and trans mount started will be boxing them in the rest of the way once i pull the motor and trans back out

made up a front crossmember out of a old driveshaft that was taking up space going to cut the front of the frame down soon to get the look I'm going for.

Nice work. I helped a buddy do a 39 IH with a 4 BT. It had the Ford adapter so we used a ZF. Ran like stink and got about 30 mpg. You're going to love it.
I will say I think you need to rotate that caliper bracket a little to get the bleeder more on top. I've done a few and just start with those cheap speedway weld on brackets for rear discs and modify them to bolt to the spindle.

the brakes were more proof of concept that it could be done to see if it was worth my tome to save the dodge axle or ditch it the final bracket will be different most likely.

decided I'm going to redo the trans crossmember with something stronger and started braking down some propane tanks to make a fuel tank out of

got a third propane tank broken down so i can make a decent size fuel tank and got a new trans crossmember fabed up this ones removable. i will be adding some kicker braces to the parts welded to the frame

Nice work, I'm looking at building one with a 6bt. Does the engine still have some lean? Just mocking up the motor mounts to the chassis now?

How did you come about making your frame (looking to do my first)?

the motor is as straight as i could get it the adapter plate that probably won't be your problem like mine. the 6bt didn't have a leaning chevy adapter. if i was to run a auto id think about making sure the trans is orienting they way its supostobe. as for the frame i did some looking at pictures and found some ideas of what i liked and started from there. i have a long way to go on the frame till it looks the way i want it but atlas we are started.

got the sold leave spring mounts fabled up today worked out better than planned now need to strip the paint from then so i can tack them in place

got home from work had to hang the springs just cause it was bugging me will likely roll the 8.8 under later tonight to see how all it fits

Latest posts

Back