My 41 Dodge

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice

Hey man I'm building a 51 dodge pilot house and your ahead of me and I'm learning lots from reading this thread so keep the pics and info coming.

Sweet truck too. Its gonna be sick with the V8...
Ben.
President The Muscle Rats car club.

Well I will try. Good luck with your 51, have you started a thread for it yet? I want to drop the V8 in it next summer. We will see how that goes, going to have to be some big changes to do that. Either that or I am thinking about ditching the V8 and putting a turbo on the straight six. Rat rods are all about being different right? I think I could do it, will take a lot of work and ingenuity but I have seen it done on that motor before.....

Do you have a picture with a view of the side of the truck marked up with tape? Looking at your front windshield again, you may only have to move the line down about 1/4" To hit the straight point for lowering the top. 1/4" may be able to move all the way around the truck without effecting your rear window cut.....

Dont really have one from the side, I do however have one from the front. But after looking at this picture aparently I need to remark it because for some reason one side is marked higher than the other.... I guess I was a little too tipsy that day to be doing this.... hmmmm. In any case here is the shot from the front.

Marked1.jpg

Dont really have one from the side, I do however have one from the front. But after looking at this picture aparently I need to remark it because for some reason one side is marked higher than the other.... I guess I was a little too tipsy that day to be doing this.... hmmmm. In any case here is the shot from the front.

Looks like maybe the tape was just stuck down on the wrong side of your mark?

On the windshield posts find you a spot that closest matches each other once the missing piece is gone it will help in matching back up. Everbody has their way of chopping, I suggest making straight cuts on the window posts as opposed to a slant cut makes it easier to cut and mate back.

Attachments

• frontmarked.jpg
    frontmarked.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 37
Hey thanks for the tips guys, I will remark it on monday. After I do that I will take some new pictures and post them up and see what you guys think, then hopefully the saturday following I will start the cuts. I would love to do it sooner, but I have to work this weekend......... Oh well.....

Tere is a guy on here Donsrods, I think, that chopped one of those cabs 4", I believe. He layed the A pillars back. Looked sick. I'll find the link for those pics. He had alot of pics, I had saved them to do the same, but got irrated and let the junk guy have my 40 cab. As for the speedo, I'll also post a link to a gear company, they have a little calculator, you enter rear tire diam. rear end ratio, and it will tell you which gears for your trans so speedo will register correctly. Most speedo's are 1000 to 1. 1000 revolutions to move odometer 1 mile. Looking good will post those links tonite or tomorrow morning. Hope it will help.

I am afraid that I will get too irritated doing this too which is one of the main reasons I havent started yet. Would really like to see those pictures though.... Good for a little inspiration. Also thanks in advance for the speedo help, that is one of the last items on my list that I want for the interior...

Well I decided yesterday I better do a little more reading before I got into cutting this monster. Ordered a book on how to do a chop top off of ebay, hopefully I will be making some cuts by the end of next weekend!

Ok something to think about, on your front door posts when you cut out and put back see how much wider the bottom piece is than the upper piece that will cause you mating problems. Measure the thickness of each piece, you may want to raise your cut a little until the thicknesses are a closer match.

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 46
Tere is a guy on here Donsrods, I think, that chopped one of those cabs 4", I believe. He layed the A pillars back. Looked sick. I'll find the link for those pics. He had alot of pics, I had saved them to do the same, but got irrated and let the junk guy have my 40 cab. As for the speedo, I'll also post a link to a gear company, they have a little calculator, you enter rear tire diam. rear end ratio, and it will tell you which gears for your trans so speedo will register correctly. Most speedo's are 1000 to 1. 1000 revolutions to move odometer 1 mile. Looking good will post those links tonite or tomorrow morning. Hope it will help.

if you lay the a pillars back you can leave the top in one piece but you want to cut the a pillars 1/2 inch less or the top will be to low in the front.thats the way i chopped the truck in my avatar. i like the look of the laid back windshield.

Looks good.
As for the chop, I have a 42 Dodge, chopped the back 5 inches and the fron...3 1/2 or 4. Laid the posts back...looks awesome.

Ok something to think about, on your front door posts when you cut out and put back see how much wider the bottom piece is than the upper piece that will cause you mating problems. Measure the thickness of each piece, you may want to raise your cut a little until the thicknesses are a closer match.

I know what you are saying. The reason the marks are so low now is because everyone before said I have them too high and wont be able to line the windshield back up.

if you lay the a pillars back you can leave the top in one piece but you want to cut the a pillars 1/2 inch less or the top will be to low in the front.thats the way i chopped the truck in my avatar. i like the look of the laid back windshield.

Do you have any more pictures of it? I would like to see it a little closer up! I like the way they look laid back too, but I heard that is harder to do than to just split the middle and add back in. What do you think?

Looks good.
As for the chop, I have a 42 Dodge, chopped the back 5 inches and the fron...3 1/2 or 4. Laid the posts back...looks awesome.

Do you have any pics of yours?

lol neverdone, I am working up the thought of maybe doin the 39, if I do it will be with the laid back posts.......been watching this thread thanks for the info.

Do you have any pics of yours?

lol neverdone, I am working up the thought of maybe doin the 39, if I do it will be with the laid back posts.......been watching this thread thanks for the info.

I am thinking that mine is going to be laid back posts, just because they look cooler. If I can just get my marks where everyone thinks they will work, I will get started with the chop. As soon as I get the top back on in a good spot and lined up I am going to start the suicide doors. I work for a glass plant so getting windows wont be an issue.

I am planning on ordering the airbags in a couple weeks, I have found a good source for some wipers, and also found a place to get the 15x4 wheels to fit the front. Once all that is done Things should be pretty close to driveable.

I just finished drawing myself a schematic for the wiring. I have little bullets for tail lights, some big old headlight buckets I am going to try and use, and since I like the look of guide lights but dont want to spend the money, I am trying to make my own. Got the idea of getting some $5 metal cab lights then try and shape them to the light bucket, then those will be my turn signals. Not sure if it will work or not but I am going to try it.

After that I just need to finish the cosmetics like I am going to shorten the bed I think the sides come down to far. I also have a big visor for the front, and I just bought a spot light from eBay.

My plan is to have this monstrosity on the road by next summer.

Latest posts

Back