Old Wing

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
make a lid with a seal, and weld a piece with an NPT tap, and put an air fitting on it.
I did this with manifolds when fabbing them, and then spayed it up with soapy water on all the seams...

make a lid with a seal, and weld a piece with an NPT tap, and put an air fitting on it.
I did this with manifolds when fabbing them, and then spayed it up with soapy water on all the seams...

That is what I did with my tank, had 4 pin holes to touch up. I could of just did the tank liner at that point but I got the holes fixed and tested it at 60psi and had no more leaks.

Got back on this Friday for a bit. Cleaned up most of the back frame, finished welding most of the back frame. Got the spring mounts finished. Did a lot of grinding.... a lot... was pretty happy with how it turned out for the day. Still can't decide if I like the floor boards or if I want to keep the pegs. Picked up some paint and primer so I don't have to leave the metal bare. Hopefully get back on it tonight, I need to get the swing arm off so I can finish the welding and grinding in the back. I also need to get mounting tabs on the frame for the tank and tabs on the tank. Once I do that the welding on the tank is done and I will start leak checking the tank. Have to decide where I want my tail lights too so I can put some mounts on for those.

Plugging away, pulled the back wheel, finished welding the fram back together, ground it all down. Dressed up the frame for the stuff I cut off in the front. I am going to put a real thin coat of filler on just to smooth out some grinding lines/dimples. Need to get the old girl up on some stands to take off the front wheel and then going to get them in some paint, just want them to be a darker. Think they will look better that way. Guess once that is done it is time to start tearing apart my wire harness so I can get that all routed where it needs to be then mount the tank. Seemed to me last night that this project is coming along well.

Agreed!!

Only problem.....can't see the progress if you don't snap a pic or two....[P you build us up and then ....... no pic's.... :D

Sorry Sarge, haven't been able to push it out where I can get a decent picture. I just keep tearing it apart farther....... but....... here is the best I can do for now.

IMG_20130403_205804_603_zps95c09cc9.jpg

Pulled off the front wheel last night, gave both to my buddy, he is going to throw some paint on the centers to the wheels. Started building a battery tray, got most of that done, still need to mount it to the bike so I can sit that battery in it. It doesn't fit as well as I would like, but it will have to do. The battery is just way to big in my opinion, but it is the battery that the bike calls for so..... I would much rather have one half that size but am afraid if I do that it will struggle to start it and end up causing me problems. So I guess that I will have to make it work....

Just push start it, don't be a wimp!

Why don't you come over and get that 600lb beast rollin and show me how its done?!?! LOL

Nahhh I prefer some of the good old creature comforts such as electric start and crap. LOL call me lazy and what not but on a cold morning I dont feel much like runnin up and down the street trying to get that thing to start!!!

Thanks.....feel better now....

Sorry Sarge, haven't been able to push it out where I can get a decent picture. I just keep tearing it apart farther....... but....... here is the best I can do for now.

IMG_20130403_205804_603_zps95c09cc9.jpg

Pulled off the front wheel last night, gave both to my buddy, he is going to throw some paint on the centers to the wheels. Started building a battery tray, got most of that done, still need to mount it to the bike so I can sit that battery in it. It doesn't fit as well as I would like, but it will have to do. The battery is just way to big in my opinion, but it is the battery that the bike calls for so..... I would much rather have one half that size but am afraid if I do that it will struggle to start it and end up causing me problems. So I guess that I will have to make it work....

I was going thru some weird withdrawls or something.....depixation or something....

OK, neighbor finished up the wheels, I put a little primer on the fender and finished up the battery mount, modded the frame a little more and got it pretty well ground down. Need to pull a bunch of crap off so I can primer and paint the frame back black again. Still need to get the light mounts on, spring mounts in the back for the seat also. But put it back together and pushed it outside for a couple quick pics and so I could get some more motivation, one of those progress checkers ya know.....

IMG_20130407_200632_787_zpsd14649cb.jpg

IMG_20130407_200125_844_zps4d0b8a63.jpg

Looks good now that its all together, and we can see it!

I told the wife2b that I'd be looking for a CL350 to mess around with if I sold my bike, but I'll probably wait til after the truck is done to do that... Then build a cafe style..

The deal I got on this old Honda I couldn't pass....... It was just what I was looking for for the most part. Since I got it together last night I decided that it needs to have the seat lowered which is no biggy. Other than that I am pretty happy with how it flows. My buddy wants me to take off the front fender, but I am not sure about that..... I kinda like it.

CL350 would be a good bike to use, you can find them cheap enough. Either that or an XS650 I would really like to build one with one of those. But since I am such a big guy I needed a bigger bike to start with.

The deal I got on this old Honda I couldn't pass....... It was just what I was looking for for the most part. Since I got it together last night I decided that it needs to have the seat lowered which is no biggy. Other than that I am pretty happy with how it flows. My buddy wants me to take off the front fender, but I am not sure about that..... I kinda like it.

CL350 would be a good bike to use, you can find them cheap enough. Either that or an XS650 I would really like to build one with one of those. But since I am such a big guy I needed a bigger bike to start with.

Yes, you are like Shaq in a buick... yea right!
This is kinda what I'm thinking, bike from The girl with the dragon tattoo

Attachments

• girl_with_the-Dragon_tattoo_motorcycle4.jpg
    girl_with_the-Dragon_tattoo_motorcycle4.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 31
Yea thats a pretty neat looking bike, but just not my style. Probably because it would like an elephant on a moped. I tend to stay to bigger things. Plus I think it is one of those things that I like stuff that no one else has. Probably another reason I decided to use a wing to build with.

Latest posts

Back