Way O/T but... who else has a garden?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got some fruit trees and hope to be able to clean up some ground this summer so I can start growing other foods next season [dr

Attachments

• IMGP8804.jpg
    IMGP8804.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 11
I went with box gardens this year. I have 11 acres of flat land but i work so much i dont have time to tend to it. I used oak monument crates for the herbs and casket boxes for watermelon and strawberries. I even built my chicken coop out of casket crates. Free lumber.

cool post...

we used some old railway sleepers for vege garden beds,, 2 high ,, destroyed chainsaw bar and chain (super hard wood) 4 beds @ 2 x 4 yards ,, beans silverbeet , pumpkin carrot lettuce asparagus potatos and some other stuff I wouldnt know ... around our yard theres blueberries rhubarb boysenberries raspberries peach pear plum and apple trees , grapefruit orange lemon and lime , assorted hazelnut trees tomatos and fiejoas .
we have a creek that has eels and nz native freshwater lobster , 3 sheep 3 alpacas ...a crazed woman ( who claims to be a project manger) a wild teenager 2 cats a horse...

and 9 chickens who think they own the place

gotta love life

WB, when I'm working, I'm usually only home a couple of hours a day, plus I have a 4 year old dynamo grandson that is hyper and ADD that takes a lot of time. The wife has him all the time, and I have to give her a break when I can, so my time is full.

I blew the engine in my semi April 12, since then I have been married to the phone and computer trying to get it fixed or get another truck. I haven't drawn a paycheck since then, been living off my little savings. I fought the folks with the warranty I had bought, they were willing to pay, but it was not even half the cost of a new engine. The finance company not only finances trucks and equipment, but also overhauls, but they didn't want to put that kind of money in that truck. They came up with the idea they would put me in a repo unit they had, taking mine in as trade and rolling the balance into the repo, so I agreed to it. That took time also, finally went to get the truck in TX Wed this week, got out there and it wasn't ready like they said it was, had to make them put 6 tires and a alternator on it. Carried it to the company I work for to lease it on, they denied it because it had a oil leak that I didn't see. I've been at a shop all day today waiting for them to fix it, and they drug around so it won't be ready until Mon. Then I get to sit at the office all day again to try and get it leased on. My a$$ is worn out, physically and mentally.

At best, I might get an hour or so after dark when the g son goes to sleep. The rest of the time is spent keeping up with him, not easy on this 58 yo body. I haven't touched my Lincoln in over a month, even though I was home. Not going to the big show in Tupelo this weekend either, just can't afford it.

Sorry for the long winded response, but you asked. I haven't said much about what was going on, just mostly kept it to myself. Things have been tough in Whoville, but they'll get better...

WB, when I'm working, I'm usually only home a couple of hours a day, plus I have a 4 year old dynamo grandson that is hyper and ADD that takes a lot of time. The wife has him all the time, and I have to give her a break when I can, so my time is full.

I blew the engine in my semi April 12, since then I have been married to the phone and computer trying to get it fixed or get another truck. I haven't drawn a paycheck since then, been living off my little savings. I fought the folks with the warranty I had bought, they were willing to pay, but it was not even half the cost of a new engine. The finance company not only finances trucks and equipment, but also overhauls, but they didn't want to put that kind of money in that truck. They came up with the idea they would put me in a repo unit they had, taking mine in as trade and rolling the balance into the repo, so I agreed to it. That took time also, finally went to get the truck in TX Wed this week, got out there and it wasn't ready like they said it was, had to make them put 6 tires and a alternator on it. Carried it to the company I work for to lease it on, they denied it because it had a oil leak that I didn't see. I've been at a shop all day today waiting for them to fix it, and they drug around so it won't be ready until Mon. Then I get to sit at the office all day again to try and get it leased on. My a$$ is worn out, physically and mentally.

At best, I might get an hour or so after dark when the g son goes to sleep. The rest of the time is spent keeping up with him, not easy on this 58 yo body. I haven't touched my Lincoln in over a month, even though I was home. Not going to the big show in Tupelo this weekend either, just can't afford it.

Sorry for the long winded response, but you asked. I haven't said much about what was going on, just mostly kept it to myself. Things have been tough in Whoville, but they'll get better...

Dang dude, you've got a platefull for sure. No time for anything extra, which is a shame because it sounds like your life could use some garden Zen. It's very theraputic and calming.

Right now, a plate full would be an understatement! It will get better with time. As the boy gets older, I hope he grows out of some of his problems. Till then though, we have to watch him like a hawk every minute. Hard to get anything done when every five minutes you have to drag him back closer to where you're at!

My "me" time is best spent in the shop. Making things work and fit clears my mind. Missing that a lot right now.

You might already know this but a lot of that ADD is doctors throwing a label on something so they can medicate (which is what doctors do) There is a lot of information on dietary causes for those symptoms. One thing I just found out about is milk. There are genetic markers in milk. Most commercial dairys use Holstein because they are heavy producers. Their milk is A1-A1 which research is showing causes a lot of health issues, including ADD symptoms in kids. Other breeds of cows produce A2-A2 milk which is much easier to digest. You can find A2-A2 milk in the stores but it's expensive. Also any kind of sugar and processed foods should be avoided (by everyone actually)
Which brings me back to gardening and raising your own food. It's the only way you know what you are eating. Even eating "healthy" from the super market is all commercially grown varieties bred to make the shipment and still look like food. And farmers now do no-till which is basically farming with poison instead of plowing.
Commercially grown meat is ALL hormone induced and loaded with anti-biotics so animals can survive high population confinement.
I trade summer veggies to have local free range eggs and beef all year round.

I know all you guys can weld, and like me your getting older and wiser. A fellow I met in the small town we holiday in showed me his garden. He has a bad back and bending over is real problem. He has taken old 300 and 500 gal water/fuel tanks gut them in half, then made stand for them out of old pipe in the shape of an H with cultivator disc's welded to the bottom then weld on of these H's a third of the way in from each end. They are about 34-36 inches high to the top of the tank, he filled the bottom third of the tank with scrape styrofoam for drainage and the rest with soil. I built four of them for the wife is any one wants pictures I can post some..
This same fellow took 6" square concrete reinforcing mesh 5 feet high and made 12 inch circles. after he plants his cucumbers and tomatoes in the ground he places these mesh tubes over the plant and then trains the plant to grow up the mesh. The plant ends up almost to the top of the 5 foot tubes and all he has to do is stand there and pic the tomatoes and cukes off.

Hey Dozer... I'm kind of a visual sort of guy so yeah... pic's would
be great....

Here ya go, these old water/ fuel tanks are everywhere in rural area, as well as old discer disc's.

These are about 38 inches high and my 5'2"wife has no problem working on them from both sides. You can put plastic pvc conduit hoops in the support pipes as seen in the pics to put either netting over to keep the birds out or plastic to make a green house.

Latest posts

Back