out of my comfort zone (again)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy

Motor mouth ratchet jaw!
seems like about once a week i take on something i haven't the foggiest of how it works etc.
but i am successful just often enough to blind me to the fact i have no business doing it ;)
this box went bad on my cummins and i loved what it did. so i am going to look for any obvious loose wires etc. i got nuthin to lose

i think i found one inside one of those fat connectors. the wires have this black rubber stuff holding the wire ends inside the plug and one of them has a tiny crack and seems loose.

the equivalent replacement starts at $650 so i dont think i am gonna be beating on this thing with a hammer anytime soon. ;)
i did contact the manufacturer in the UK via email
i doubt anything will come of it but it is worth a try.

If they are like MSD ignitions they will repair it for a minimal fee
Nothing to play around with.
I had a Diablo Puck box installed on my 01 with less than 500 miles on the truck, with in the first weekend it knocked the VP44 pump out and the pump had to be replaced.
Just sayin
I had a BD box installed and I've not had on minutes trouble since.

here is the email i got from vanaaken, Hi William
Many thanks for your message.
Regretfully we did not make the older units and the Company that did no longer exists.
Sorry we can’t help.
Kind regards

A lot of things have happened in the last 14 years.
Me and that controller both have gotten old and outdated.
Sounds like it's time to look a new one for the ole Cummins.
I'd look at Bully Dog system if it was still mine and I still felt the need.

I miss that old truck.
Good Luck!

If it's just a wire it shouldn't be a problem on trying the repair to see if it will work.
Before you plug it up, put dielectric grease on the connectors.

I have a edge juice with attitude. It's amazing and has all kinds of fail safes. It can read trans slippage/clutch slippage, traction loss, engine/trans/egt temps and several other things. You can set it at what temp that you want the motor to defuel to protect your drivetrain. This is the main reason I bought it. But the 5 levels of performance are nice also.

I have a edge juice with attitude. It's amazing and has all kinds of fail safes. It can read trans slippage/clutch slippage, traction loss, engine/trans/egt temps and several other things. You can set it at what temp that you want the motor to defuel to protect your drivetrain. This is the main reason I bought it. But the 5 levels of performance are nice also.

if i had an extra $525 i would have gotten a smarty jr
but for a buck an a quarter i will take a replacement box for what i had and liked

plugged in the replacement van aaken box last night.
took it for a short spin and everything seems in order[cl
but i will go on the freeway and make sure today

Latest posts

Back