Cool diesel rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
14.80 quarter mile is not fast and no way it's building 40 plus pounds of boost. They would picking the heads up off the track if so lol. Interesting truck non the less tho.

40 lbs boost is not really that radical anymore, lots of hi-po diesels are running way more than that reliably. Lots of power and torque does not always translate into a low ET, taking your ride to the track is often a real eye opener - lots of seemingly awesome cars can be real turds in the quarter mile. Traction, optimized rear end gearing and transmission gearing, aerodynamics, and a hundred other factors all have to come together for a killer ET and MPH.
What I really don't understand about high performing diesels is the big clouds of hideous black soot - unburnt fuel?? If they are so much more efficient, why do they produce so much , isn't that just power going out the tailpipe?? [S:confused:

I didn't say I liked it because it was fast, it isn't. I have a friend with a 01 Dodge 4x4 24 valve that runs mid 11s. And I'm not sure why they all smoke when you jack up the horsepower but they do. Even back in the 70s when I was running D9 cats, the ones that pushed the hardest were the ones that made the most smoke.
I like the truck because it's unique, has great stance and is just overall a well thought out looking build, not goofy laying on the ground truck, even though it is bagged.

40 lbs boost is not really that radical anymore, lots of hi-po diesels are running way more than that reliably. Lots of power and torque does not always translate into a low ET, taking your ride to the track is often a real eye opener - lots of seemingly awesome cars can be real turds in the quarter mile. Traction, optimized rear end gearing and transmission gearing, aerodynamics, and a hundred other factors all have to come together for a killer ET and MPH.
What I really don't understand about high performing diesels is the big clouds of hideous black soot - unburnt fuel?? If they are so much more efficient, why do they produce so much , isn't that just power going out the tailpipe?? [S:confused:

The ford power stroke has a lot of compression from the get go and without a lot of work it won't handle that much boost. If it had the work done to it to handle 40 psi and had that kind of boost it be faster then a high 14. My 03 cummins builds 40 psi stock but don't have the compression that a ford has.

The smoke is unburnt fuel. The really efficient ones don't poor smoke. The trucks that poor smoke are modified usually. Not to many stock ones "roll coal". You dump the extra fuel in a diesel for a couple reasons but if the rest of the formula isn't met it don't do anything but poor smoke and kill your mileage.

My 96 has the timing and other things tuned for fuel mileage and gets mid twenties mpg with no smoke at all. My 03 is tuned for power more so then mpg. I can make day turn to night and break the tires loose at 40+mph but it don't get near the mpg when turned up.

I didn't say I liked it because it was fast, it isn't. I have a friend with a 01 Dodge 4x4 24 valve that runs mid 11s. And I'm not sure why they all smoke when you jack up the horsepower but they do. Even back in the 70s when I was running D9 cats, the ones that pushed the hardest were the ones that made the most smoke.
I like the truck because it's unique, has great stance and is just overall a well thought out looking build, not goofy laying on the ground truck, even though it is bagged.

Ya I agree. I wasn't meaning to bash the truck any. It's cool and has a lot work in it. Just the 14.80 and 40 psi stuck in my head as "huh? moments".

Diesel owner here. Have had several Cummins and presently have a 5.9 Cummins project and a couple of Isuzu 4BD1t's. I also drive a big truck for a living.

I don't know about the rest of you but I DO NOT LIKE in my face diesel smoke. Seems the idiot rage around here is to turn up the diesels and see how much black smoke you can squirt out on people.

I used to go to the Branson Missouri annual cruise in until it was pretty much taken over by the Ya-Hoo bunch. The 76 strip is lined with people sitting in lawn chairs watching the cars go up and down the strip. I watch a punk with a turned up Cummins watch out his back glass and mirrors and on purpose position his exhaust until it was about 3 feet from a lady in her 80's sitting in her wheel chair watching the cars and then "smoked her." He quickly exited on a side street and cleared out before several of up could get to him. 2 of the ladies son's were standing with her and if they had been able to jerk the jerk out of his truck I don't think he would have had a good rest of his life...

Just sayin'

Rick

Diesel owner here. Have had several Cummins and presently have a 5.9 Cummins project and a couple of Isuzu 4BD1t's. I also drive a big truck for a living.

I don't know about the rest of you but I DO NOT LIKE in my face diesel smoke. Seems the idiot rage around here is to turn up the diesels and see how much black smoke you can squirt out on people.

I used to go to the Branson Missouri annual cruise in until it was pretty much taken over by the Ya-Hoo bunch. The 76 strip is lined with people sitting in lawn chairs watching the cars go up and down the strip. I watch a punk with a turned up Cummins watch out his back glass and mirrors and on purpose position his exhaust until it was about 3 feet from a lady in her 80's sitting in her wheel chair watching the cars and then "smoked her." He quickly exited on a side street and cleared out before several of up could get to him. 2 of the ladies son's were standing with her and if they had been able to jerk the jerk out of his truck I don't think he would have had a good rest of his life...

Just sayin'

Rick

Unfortunately their is punks in every culture. I'm a diesel lover with my truck cranked up but would of helped chased the kid down and gave him a education in respect.
It's kind of like rat rods, they all have a bad rep of being unsafe junk when most aren't.

Yeah, I had a doosh do that to me in traffic a few years ago. Nice spring day and setting at a light in my old Subaru with the window down, light changes and the guy nails it, exhaust pipe level with my window.
Don't get me wrong, I love my diesel dually and the work it can do but the jacked up smokers are just guys compensating for some penile deficiency, little men trying to be big.

Latest posts

Back