what about us BIG guys ? cab fit.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You and I have about the same dimensions....... I fit fine with a 4" chop. But I have chopped seat risers, and squared off the front of my cab on the bottom for more room. Also I two foot drive the dodge because of leg room..... I also run the stock wheel for the 47 since no power steering. So it is doable.

Windshield chop

We have a 46 pickup behind the barn. A friend teaches Street Rod Fabrication classes at UVU. When I was taking a class there, the instructor, Cris Boggess brought in Picts of a chop he had done and guided one of the kids on a windshield chop. The 46 has shorter door glass, They cut out the interior roof panel then cut the roof skin loose. Next they slit the A posts and cut welds so the windshield header was loose, Next removed 2 or 3 inches from the windshield side of the slit A post and slide it down. They left the doors alone. They did a lot of pie cuts and hammering to take the bubble out of the roof. When it was done it looks right. I am thinking if I ever get to the 46 I will try to find another flatter roof skin to graft on.

I'M 6'5" AT 235 the secret is bad posture, I slouch when I drive, got lots of headroom, legroom sucks a bit but had a lotta years to get used to that.
I like the hunched forward, right hand on left side of big 18" wheel, right elbow on right side.

Man....you are a long drink of water.....

I'M 6'5" AT 235 the secret is bad posture, I slouch when I drive, got lots of headroom, legroom sucks a bit but had a lotta years to get used to that.
I like the hunched forward, right hand on left side of big 18" wheel, right elbow on right side.

Sounds uncomfortable but heck...who worries about that crap unless your planning a trip across country.... [cl

Hey buddy!!! I can relate!!!

I am 6'4" and push 290. My cab is stock length and 4" chop. I fit just fine. I have crown vic seats in mine and chopped the seat frames down a couple inches (can't remember how much) but they pretty well sit on the ground. None the less my head clears the top by 2" and I am pretty comfortable in it.

Don't be scared build it how you want it!

Check out my link at the bottom of my post! Plenty of pics you can see me in the truck and standing next to it, I am not lying!

Wow . read your thread ! Awesome truck .. And congrats on getting married !
And your a big guy too . you fit in there pretty good.
OK.. Yes I'll get test fitted . ok these answers ease my fears.
Thanks guys.

I'm 6' 2-1/2" tall and over 300 lbs.
My cab is chopped 4" and channeled 6". My seat will be just slightly off of the floor.
My biggest problem in any vehicle is getting my head in under the top of the door opening. On my truck Once inside there is plenty of head clearence due to the domed shape of the roof.
Making the cab an extended style is fine but it also can put your seat too far back in relationship to the door glass making your side visability limited.
The doubled Z frame that you posted is one way to get a lower look with out channeling the cab and losing verticle space.
The bigger problem in mine is the amount of space between the top of the seat bottom and the bottom edge of the steering wheel. A tilt coloumn would help with that issue. Or a smaller whell.
Dropping the floor plan in between the frame rails can help also but the you will have to deal with the trans tunnel taking up space as well.
I would strongly suggest that you make a point of getting to the shop that is building your truck for some mock up time with you in the cab. Steering wheel angle,pedal placement and seating are all tied in together.
Nothing is worse than a vehicle that is too uncomfortable to drive in. As you well know doing what you do for a living.
Good luck with your build and post some pics.
Torchie.

You and I have the exact same problem. Getting my long torso to bend enough to get my head under the door roof is what's hard. Like you . once I'm inside I'm ok.
I have a 32 inch inseam .. So legroom shouldn't be too big of a problem.
Thank guys.

well I'm 5'8" and 195 lbs so I strapped 2 cinder blocks to my feet and duct taped both my dogs to my torso for perspective...I'm not sure about cab fitment but after falling down several times I do know about twisted ankles, dog bites and the failure point of duct tape....I''l try again tomorrow and let you know! [cl

I am 6'5" and 300 lbs. I try not to shop too much off if any. You can get a lot of room by playing with the seat mounts. I usually put them almost on the ground. The harder thing for me on the 30's and older cars is foot room for my 15EEEE's!

No matter how you dice it, those cabs are small. The average man was maybe 5'8" back then. Any of you guys claiming to be 6'2" and rocking 300# are not driving much in a chopped channeled 40s pickup cab. If you take the seat riser down, then your knees are bent more and you are sitting on your tailbone, no comfortable for any serious cruising unless you are in your 20s and still invincible. Most of those cabs do have a little extra head room so a couple inches off the top isn't usually a problem but past 4 starts to get crowded. Anything you do to take away space means there's less room for you and you will needed to be folded and bent more to be in there.
Here is a thread with some great photoshop that I think is the ultimate solution.
http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32112&highlight=photoshop

Latest posts

Back