"New" fuel sending units

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franktiregod

If you have or know anyone who has a 61-71 Dodge truck please tell them do NOT buy a repro fuel sending unit. Get a good used one and clean it up.

Heres why.

I bought one for my 68 Dode truck, installed it, and it seemed to work great, at first. Then about 2 days later (sitting in garage and not being driven) both the fuel and temp gauge went to full right when I turned the switch on.

I asked what could be causing it on a site specific to these trucks. Someone from the site who is a used parts seller and knows these trucks upside down asked for my number and he called me.

He asked if I put a new sneding unit in before this happened. I saod yes. he asked, brand new? I said yes. He said, "Throw it away. They are junk"

At first I was skeptical but he had me run a couple of tests and I was sure he knew what he was talking about. I ordered a clean used unit from him, installed it, and boom, gauges working correctly again.

He said the temp gauge gets power from the sending unit and when the unit it bad it causes the problem I had.

Well I contacted the company I got the repro from and they said they would have their "tech guy" call me Monday since he was off last week. Today is Thursday and I still havent heard from them. So they screwed me out of 100 bucks not to mention time to order a replacement and install it.

The man who told me these repros were bad said it has to do with the way the wiring inside is wound.

So hopefully someone can learn from my 100 dollar mistake.

The pictures are of the new one and the good used one I used to replace the new one.

I dont know if this affects other makes/models but this company sells many different new units so before you order one for ANY car I would have a clear understanding of their return policy and proceed carefully.

Attachments

• 72.jpg
    72.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 70.jpg
    70.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 11
Not that I am aware. I dont see any Dorman numbers or markings on it. I was told they are made in Taiwan by the guy who sold me the used one.

Been a Auto=zone customer for years because of convenience. Have noticed it seems the only parts that I've got there that I have problems with were Dorman electrical items, so much so that if it's a dorman part they hand me, I'll elect any other available...

Been a Auto=zone customer for years because of convenience. Have noticed it seems the only parts that I've got there that I have problems with were Dorman electrical items, so much so that if it's a dorman part they hand me, I'll elect any other available...

I will keep that in mind too. I just hate when people make junk. I dont mind spending a little more to get quality. I would rather have paid another 20 bucks and not have the problem with this.

Latest posts

Back