Wiring and fuse help please

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazarat

Hi all. At this point electrically speaking this car is probably one step above a riding mower. Horn, turn signals, dimmer switch, dash gauges disconnected. I have just the basics, starts, lights, brake lights and under dash gauge set.

The wiring that was done to introduce a SBC and 12 volt was questionable and suddenly I was with a non charging system. I bench tested alternator twice, still good, it was new several months ago.

So I spent a few days under the dash and through convenient access panel at firewall and cleared out the rats nest of hanging dash bulbs, frayed original wires, and things capped off going nowhere. I went back and forth on the net looking at basic wiring diagrams for single wire alternator, with the two terminals on the side.

I drew up a quick diagram of what I now have, which is now charging and got me to the pizza joint car meet last night and my free two slices and a coke.

Note: I have original light switch, original brake light switch, mostly original wiring, and original ignition switch.

My question is: am I on the right path, (see hastily drawn diagram) and can I just run in line fuses to the light switch, volt gauge, fuel pump switch/gauge/sender, (which as you can see is hooked up to ACC) and what amp fuses to use for each if so?

Battery is both grounded to fender and cable at engine block mount of alternator. #2 terminal is jumped to output on alternator. #1 goes nowhere. Alternator output goes to light switch and original two fuse panel, both fuses go nowhere. Hot wire goes from positive cable connection on starter to B on ignition switch. I have volt gauge joined up with distributor on I. S of course is solenoid.

Yes it is all scary, I am still tracing things out, any input as far as just keeping this thing from turning into a toaster, would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1588.jpg
    IMG_1588.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 28
I never trust any old wiring and always rewire the entire car! Ain't worth burning a good car up with sketchy wiring! Just my opinion!

Toad

I am no electrician. I have fought issues much like yours, and have come to the point where I just rewire the whole thing if I'm going to be the one keeping it and driving it. The peace of mind is a consideration, as is the fact that, if something fails on the road, I can trace the wiring easily. Basically, I hate wiring and would rather do it once, wire everything new and forget about it than chase gremlins every time something stops working or, even worse, starts smoking. Hopefully someone can tell you the answer to your question, but I heartily suggest replacing all the old, sketchy wiring if you can afford it. JMHO.

I used the Rebel Wire 9+3 kit for my last few builds, and am very happy with it.

Rebel Wire 9+3 pic

I never trust any old wiring and always rewire the entire car! Ain't worth burning a good car up with sketchy wiring! Just my opinion!

Toad

I am no electrician. I have fought issues much like yours, and have come to the point where I just rewire the whole thing if I'm going to be the one keeping it and driving it. The peace of mind is a consideration, as is the fact that, if something fails on the road, I can trace the wiring easily. Basically, I hate wiring and would rather do it once, wire everything new and forget about it than chase gremlins every time something stops working or, even worse, starts smoking. Hopefully someone can tell you the answer to your question, but I heartily suggest replacing all the old, sketchy wiring if you can afford it. JMHO.

I agree... harnesses are cheap now & I absolutely hate to break down on the road due to a wiring issue! Seen cars burn up from it too! Never had any electrical issue once I've rewired one other than replacing an old battery or dead alternator!

BoB

I will look into the Rebel harness. I can do the PayPal zero percent and play while I pay.

I was given a complete truck harness from front to back, came with car, and I have cannibalized some of it. My initial idea was to use it but it is overkill. That Rebel harness fits the bill, Thanks.

I will look into the Rebel harness. I can do the PayPal zero percent and play while I pay.

I was given a complete truck harness from front to back, came with car, and I have cannibalized some of it. My initial idea was to use it but it is overkill. That Rebel harness fits the bill, Thanks.

Rebel Wire is my fav & am using a 9+3 in my current build. Bob & Jeremy are very knowledgeable, available & will help you through any issue you may have.

BoB

Glad to see everyone suggesting a new harness. Sage advice!

Better to spend some money and have a reliable car you don't have to worry about getting you home, or worse yet winding up as a car-B-Q. :eek:

Glad to see everyone suggesting a new harness. Sage advice!

Better to spend some money and have a reliable car you don't have to worry about getting you home, or worse yet winding up as a car-B-Q. :eek:

When I bought the first car I rebuilt, I looked under the dash & nearly died at the sight of that rat's nest so I rewired the whole thing. It wasn't as hard as I imagined and never had an issue with it after that. Worth every dime and the time I spent doing it and learned a lot about car wiring!

Zipper

And don't forget... Rebel Wire gives UDS members a 10% discount!

BoB

Nice incentive.

Actually a lot of the original wire is in decent shape, which was why the PO did what was done, bass ackwards as it was, its cloth covered over plastic coated something.

The coding sucks though, its on the cloth, which is turning into dust, along with its color stripes, harder to trace. I have actually had worse, but now I'm more quality minded. So a new basic harness is something I can do.

Latest posts

Back