Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a sweet looking grill.[cl[cl[P[P

Thanks kenny.:D
Here is the photo shopped one that DR Crank did a while(Like a year ago.:eek:) back.
This one has the center square removed. I'm not sure what the bars look like under that square yet as I was too tired to take it all the way out of the box. :p
Torchie

Attachments

• Torchie 1950-dodge-coronet Copy (2).jpg
    Torchie 1950-dodge-coronet Copy (2).jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 16
Thanks all.
Lets do some arm chair customizing......
Pic 1. Stock 1950 Dodge Coronet grill
Pic 2. Dr Cranks photoshopped version.
To achieve that look would take some serious stainless steel work as the 2 bars DO NOT meet behind that center piece.(See pics 3-6.)
Pic 7.
The proposed color combo for my Dodge Custom
It still uses the 1957 Johnson outboard colors. Plus you don't see many off white customs these days.
So at this point the 2 cheapest options is to use the grill stone stock OR use the grill and paint the center section to match the body or the roof.
Any and all opinions are welcomed as usual and if any one knows of any stainless steel people in the states that could modify the grill let me know.
Thanks.
Torchie

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Torchie 1950-dodge-coronet Copy (2).jpg
    Torchie 1950-dodge-coronet Copy (2).jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 19
  • s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 16
  • s-l500-1.jpg
    s-l500-1.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 16
  • s-l500-2.jpg
    s-l500-2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 16
  • s-l500-3.jpg
    s-l500-3.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 16
  • CCC-Overman-52-Lincoln-P2-02-602x406.jpg
    CCC-Overman-52-Lincoln-P2-02-602x406.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 18
What happens if you eliminate the square and butt the two halves together? I'd imagine you'd still have a little wedge to fill in the center, and a little problem with the eyebrow, and, and, and...

attachment.php

Attachments

• Torchie grille1 - Copy.jpg
    Torchie grille1 - Copy.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 33
What happens if you eliminate the square and butt the two halves together? I'd imagine you'd still have a little wedge to fill in the center, and a little problem with the eyebrow, and, and, and...

attachment.php

and..and... and.:eek::p
First pic shows the profile(Drawn by a crude artist. :rolleyes:) of the upper bar if you were looking down at it. This bar already has a seam and a trim piece to conceal it.
Pic 2. This is the length of the "Box" in the middle of the two lower bars. 8 inches.
Pic 3. Shows where the top bar lands in stock form. There is also a notch in the bar where it attaches.
Pic 4 shows where the end of that top bar would land if left untouched.
Pics 5-6 show that there are seams all over this grill as stock. It's made up of about 8 different pieces.
Pic 7. Stock on a car.
If I remove the square it would shorten the grill by approx. 8 inches. Moving the parking lights well inboard of the head lights. I would have to trim the top bar to match and that would most likely change the profile as well as how it fits with the hood.
If I could modify SS I would just leave it stock length and make pieces to extend the two lower bars to meet in the middle.
I suspect at this point it will either be left totally stock or the square painted to Match body/roof color.
It may be less noticeable if left shiny with the rest of the grill.
Thanks for the comment ,Crank.
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 7
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 2-8.jpg
    2-8.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 7
You might have let on already, but is it safe to assume that if the center piece were left off there would be a gap of about 6" between the two sides? If they came nearly together, I was going to ask what the width of the two affected 'bars' is/are. My 46 Plymouth has little center pieces which cover each of the separate 'bars' where they meet in the middle of the grill. IF something like that could be identified that fits, that might be an option, but the center space is probably still too big for anything like that.

There's only two things you can do now...

1) Make your own crest for the center
2) Send me that yardstick :p

attachment.php

Attachments

• torchie crest - Copy.jpg
    torchie crest - Copy.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 63
Torchie. Someone in the boat business may be able to point you in the direction of a welder that can tig or mig stainless. You may have too form the bars with a hammer in 4 separate pieces. When they are welded together add extra material at the joints so you can grind and shape it after. Hope this helps.[P[P

Neto
Removing the center piece leaves about. 8 inch gap.
Unfortunately not even close to each other.
Torchie

Torchie. Someone in the boat business may be able to point you in the direction of a welder that can tig or mig stainless. You may have too form the bars with a hammer in 4 separate pieces. When they are welded together add extra material at the joints so you can grind and shape it after. Hope this helps.[P[P
Thanks kenny.
If I have to go to all that I might as well just make a complete grill.:eek::p

There's only two things you can do now...

1) Make your own crest for the center
2) Send me that yardstick :p

attachment.php

Nice job on the crest, DR.:eek::p:cool:
It could be just one of the myriad of "Lost" Barris custom that show up for sale.:p :rolleyes:
You are down in my will for the yard stick.:)

On a bright note...
I scored this set of NOS rocker moldings for the Dodge.
I had a DS already and have been looking for a year for the PS.
I contacted about a dozen different sellers on ebay and none of them had the PS.
I found one at a vintage mopar parts place but they wanted more for the PS trim then I paid for the car.:eek::D
At some point I will have to go through all the parts I've picked up and put the best ones aside and list the others to generate more build funds.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 11
  • s-l500-4.jpg
    s-l500-4.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 10
3 hours out in the chilly shop welding today. Not sure how much different before and after look.:eek: [ddd [;) [;) [;)
Fully welded the PS trunk floor patches and fully welded the trunk lower lip.
This arrived as well.
NOS pair of rocker trim.[cl :D :cool:
On to the DS trunk floor area tomorrow.
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 22
PS side inner well sealed up and undercoated.
Same for the inner PS rear fender.
Didn't coat the spare tire well as that may or may not be going depending on what frame I end up with.[S
So tomorrow it's more.....[;) [;) [;) [;) [;)
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 16
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 2-1.jpg