Smallfoot's AA

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finish grinding on the cowl before you right it. [cl
You know you old guy need to be careful, bones crack much easier than before. :D
On the positive side, the cab is looking good [;)

Don't tell anyone Smallfoot but I did the same thing with my cab the other day and the roofs not flat.:eek:
And you are right about being on the water......
Torchie.

The doddering ol fool thanks ya'll! I might be a touch sore tomorrow. Thunderstorm came up and cut my outside work off. But I'll be back on it tomorrow. Still just smoothing up seams and filling holes up for the last time I think before setting the cab back on. Seems like everything moves slower the closer you get.

Did you ride it down too Torchie and are ya ok man? I layed a flap open on my palm where I grabbed something and a small scrape on my leg where I think the door hit it. I've been skinned worse shaving...thus the beard...

ooops, just caught up on your thread,,,,nevermind..heheh!

Last edited:
Did you ride it down too Torchie and are ya ok man? I layed a flap open on my palm where I grabbed something and a small scrape on my leg where I think the door hit it. I've been skinned worse shaving...thus the beard...

ooops, just caught up on your thread,,,,nevermind..heheh!

Todays little incident was not the roll over. That was last week Smallfoot. Cab was on it's firewall on a pallet so that I can drag it around if I need to.[S
I was draggin it outside to finish up some sandblasting and it started to rock and then it did the roll.:mad: I couldn't even begin to stop it.
Wanged up the roof somewhat. Glad I didn't have the body work done yet.
Wife was out watering her plants and the noise scared the**** out of her.
Not as high off the ground as yours, but mine is rounder so it rolled farther.....:D
Torchie.

Haven't been recording many pix lately. Still welding holes...did get a chance to place my "STOP" lights. I also succumbed to a new fuel tank. Didn't get all the rust out on the first two tries at cleanup so I wound up clogging filters and carb the last time running it. I also chopped the reese hitch to use a regular ball. It's not done yet but all it needs is one piece of metal to finish what I'm doing with bracing.
I've been on the cab with it outside to see my work better and have been getting my work hours on that part cut short with rain, but I'll not bitch about that...we need it. It did prove that I'm pretty close on the pinholes. We had a good rain the other night and the cab was still holding water the next day!

HEYYYY Smallfoot. I have a 2 pound coffee can full of rust particles I've swept up off the floor! I wonder if you would make me one of those too? Seriously, I wouldn't have given 10 cents for that junk you brought home, but now???? I'd give you a little more!!!!!!!
Best Regards, Perley

Thanks a bunch ya'll! I do want to ride it for a while in rusty but it will get some paint eventually. No worries CC, I don't think I can hide my seams. Oldrodder, I had people shaking their heads that I paid for hauling off the junk too...heheh! And thanks for the offer on the rust particles, but I produce my own. This may be called fauxtina to some, but I assure everyone, it's real rust, just speeded up some with my process...

Spent a week or so trying to fab an answer to matching pinion yoke to driveshaft. Seems that this dana 44 rear in the jeep frame is so hosed up in the transition years with oddball parts that it will take mixing and matching parts so much that I don't want to do it. I'm still going for simple. I have measured and re-measured, tried available conversion ujoints that none made the grade and tried to mix and match caps with different crosses. You find some right in one direction and failing in the other. Then you find ones in the right size but wrong configuration on clips...jeesh! spent more time with this than any other single issue. I know from past history that once in a while you'll spin a ujoint and that's one of the issues that will slow your trip down for a few minutes anyway. I always carry a spare and it doesn't take long to swap one out even on the side of the road. I'd rather be able to hit the parts store and get a spare at anytime rather than jury-rig one every time. So, in with s10 from my exdd. It fits width wise a little better. I'll need adapters to get back to large ford bolt pattern on my wheels. Now the clean up and update on parts will be done. My pics are lacking because I'm trying to upgrade some system issues on my pc right now and if any of ya'll remember how slow dial-up is, think twice as slow....
First pic is of the new tank I got and it's intended position along with battery and tool box.
Second pic is of the s10 rear when I set it up to start up grading. Thanks for stopping by. Don't know how much will get done in the next few days but came down with a flu bug night before last and haven't shook it off yet...

Bummer about having to switch out the rear end but as you said it will work better in the long run smallfoot.
Shake that bug and get well......:)
Torchie.

Got a few hours in the barn today after 8 days of flu. Rebuilt the brakes on the s10 rearend. The drums were out of spec so I got new drums, new wheel cylinders and news shoes too. Cleaned it up real good and put all that together. Brakes done and saddles removed to get ready to match the other springs. Not much for pix.

Snatched the bed yesterday in preparation for easier working on the rearend issues. Brake lines can be matched up ok. E-brake cable will be a fab job to change it, but easy I hope. According to pre measurements I may have to change length on the drive shaft some but will wait till I get the other rearend in...from c/l of axle tube to c/l of yoke strap they are 1" different. I'll look into ways of going around the problem as I go, but may have to make another shaft. The s10 rear will be short 1" which means the shaft will have to be lengthened if there is a change. I have several more shafts to play with. It's so minimal i can probably figure another way...still feel like crap but out in the barn is better than cooped up inside...thanks for stopping by!

Lots of bugs going around here as well smallfoot and I can relate to the "Cooped up" feeling as well. You have the driveshaft thing down to a science so you won't have any problem with that.[;)
Get better.
Torchie.

Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to seeing it assembled too, just have to side step, do an about face and carry on once in a while. Worked on it today for several hours before friends stopped by to make a visor for a Bronco. We got that done, sorry no pix on my camera but another guy took some and I'll see if I can get them. Visor came out great for him and when they left I just about got the s10 rear in place. I need a little bigger bit for opening the reference holes on the saddles. I placed new holes about 3/4" from originals which moves the axle that much. The s10 saddles are much beefier than what was on the Jeep Dana. I've got everything set in place to weld the saddles on tomorrow. Swapped all the brake stuff around and got that all fitted. Centered and lined up, then triangulated the rear axle and everything looks good. My yoke seal marks are only about 1/4" off from where they sat with the other axle. Still need to do the e-brake. The only other adjustment I might have to do is correct the notch in the bed by that 3/4". Tomorrow's a new day.

inch by inch...step by step...slowly he creeps!!!
Got the shock brackets, saddles, and brake line brackets put on and the flat black to all the parts. Then I got sidetracked by fishing...

Latest posts

Back