Home away from home

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trailer tracking

I am interested to see how well it tows also. Right wrong or in different, I used mainly the same tongue length as my big trailer. Trailer tongues in usually all seem to be about the same length no matter how big the trailer, that is usually around 40" to the ball from the deck, which is about half the width of your car.

As for axle placement I wanted it to be heavier in the front than the rear. Most of your weight rides in the back on a teardrop because of the cooler, chairs, in my case battery and inverter, and what not. The front won't have much in it, maybe some clothes. For this reason I put the axle at 3/4 the length of the trailer. With all the junk in the back it should still have a decent amount of tongue weight, but not too much. Since this is mainly to be towed with the rat, and the hitch almost hits the back axle, it will not have much leverage on the rat.

That was my logic anyway. Thoughts?

If the distance between your trailer axle centerline and your rear axle centerline is the same as your wheelbase (front to rear centerline on your tow vehicle) then your trailer will track identically to the tow vehicle. Since trailers aren't normally designed for specific vehicles the tongues are the length to place the weight where it's 'pretty good' not to help with tracking.

Since you're building to suit and for a particular vehicle, you could (if you so choose) both balance and track the trailer to the rat.

Does that make sense?
-Chaz

is this a solid mount Axle or did I miss something ? oh, yea , what are your plans for the top ? by the way it looks grate .. I always thought Id love one of these too one day !!

The axle isn't solid mount. It is set up for air, or I could run some SHORT coils if I could find them the right size and weight.... The top is tonneau cover stuff.... Ordered it by the yard, all of it snaps on to the top. Under my snap on roof will be screen so you could roll it back if you wanted and sleep under the stars, or get some more air. Fun part about the top is I am going to have to drag out my old sewing machine (yes I can sew, no comments please LOL) and do some stitching for this.

If the distance between your trailer axle centerline and your rear axle centerline is the same as your wheelbase (front to rear centerline on your tow vehicle) then your trailer will track identically to the tow vehicle. Since trailers aren't normally designed for specific vehicles the tongues are the length to place the weight where it's 'pretty good' not to help with tracking.

Since you're building to suit and for a particular vehicle, you could (if you so choose) both balance and track the trailer to the rat.

Does that make sense?
-Chaz

Sure does. But I figure I will also tow it with my little Jetta so I don't want to set it up completely for one vehicle.

Friday I did get the rest of the urethane on. I must say, I am pretty happy with the finish. Mounted the taillights, and started pulling some wire around inside. Still need to get some marker lights for the sides. Mounted the window in on the other side. I like it.

IMG_20140627_212149_024_zpsuh9r4mhk.jpg

Somehow I have been missing this build......this thing is really cool ! [cl Funny thing is, I have been going on teardrop trailer sites for the past few weeks getting ideas because I am thinking about building one.

My plan is to build my 46 for long distance driving and then building a teardrop to tow behind it. I figure in a couple of years I will be ready to retire (again for the 3rd time) and my cat Lucky and I are going to hit the road for 6 months or so and see the country. I have a bucket list, Bonneville, Pacific Coast Highway, Route 66, etc.

I am going to be watching your build because it is a lot like what I am going to build and I am going to steal some of your ideas.

Don

Pluggin away last night little bit more done. Put the screen top on, but still need to put the trim strips on over the edges.
IMG_20140630_220047_969_zps0jsmq2xl.jpg

Spread out the vinyl stuff to have a look and picture the finished deal.
IMG_20140630_220017_207_zps1koo3nrl.jpg

Then of course had to lay down in it and picture sleeping in it. I think it will work out pretty nice. I think I am going to pick up some small rare earth magnets from the hobby shop tomorrow. Then when I sew up the edges I will put a couple stationary in the hem so that I can roll the top up and stick it to itself. Might be nice so that at night it would stay up if ya want it to.

Picked up some LED side marker lights, mounted the taillights, installed the window in the door (not real happy with that put some spray tint on the window and it looks like crap). Need to get a little more trim to finish the screen top then on to making the targa top.

I'm interested to see how it is going to seal, but still have the ability to roll up.
Can't wait to see this in person... however at the moment, I can't wait til the work on my camper is done... tired of working on it...

I don't see a reason the top wouldn't seal. It overhangs the sides by 1 1/2" then snaps down. As long as you keep it tight I would think that it wouldn't be an issue. I am making up a drip edge for over the door and window so nothing leaks in over those. But they have all been hit with silicone where they could be, the door is my concern.

Busted out the old Singer sewing machine (yes I can sew, please keep the laughter to a dull roar) and started stitching up the top. Also started doing some internal electrical, wired in a couple 110V outlets and started wiring in the 12V electrical system. Put on all the screen molding to cover the edge where the screen is fastened to the top. Still much to do but it is looking pretty cool.

I like the top idea a lot, will really open it up nicely. I see you mentioned the LED lights, you might want to check out some of the interior lights that are also LED. Marine stores sell them and they have a lot of benefits like better light, less power drain, and longer life. The marine industry is starting to really come alive with LED's in all kinds of shapes and sizes. The make them as reading lights all the way down to just soft accent lights for a little illumination. Just a suggestion.

Don

You can get most types of bulbs in an LED style. I figure once the bulbs burn out inside that I will swap them for LED lights...

So my old sewing machine seems to have given up the ghost last night. 2ft to go on the top. Not sure what I am going to do now to finish that up. I did lay it out on top the camper to have a look. I like it. Just now don't know how I am going to finish it. Too heavy of material to hand stitch soooo.....

Latest posts

Back