1936 Packard

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working away on the wiring still, putting the dash together, also sorting out the air system plumbing and mounting the compressor, tank and valves.
Unwrapped the newly chromed rear bumper and mounted it - it looks pretty sharp with the Packard script in it - they had to do a lot of sanding on it as it was heavily pitted plus all the scars I put on it when shortening it 6".

Attachments

• DSC00635.jpg
    DSC00635.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC00636.jpg
    DSC00636.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC00634.jpg
    DSC00634.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 70
Today I got the fixed windows glued in with urethane glass adhesive, tomorrow I'll shave the excess off the glass and pull the off the green masking tape that kept it off the paint. Garnish mouldings still need finishing and paint. Dash is mostly put together except for the glovebox and speaker panels in the center stack.
Put in the gas tank and finished up the air system install, mounted the battery also.

Attachments

• DSC00638 z.jpg
    DSC00638 z.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC00640 z.jpg
    DSC00640 z.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC00641.jpg
    DSC00641.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC00643.jpg
    DSC00643.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC00645.jpg
    DSC00645.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 82
That looks amazing! I like how tightly packed the trunk area is, that's using up real-estate very nicely!

Tightly packed, yes - a challenge getting all that stuff to fit between the tank and the trunk floor while still being accessible for service...

Got the trunk lid mounted after much fiddling, shimming and tweaking of the hinges and latch. Mounted my rechromed 40 Packard trunk emblem - you can't see the detail in my fuzzy pic but it looks like a miniature 32 Packard shovelnose grille. More fiddling mounting the Hagans gas door - this diddly stuff makes me nuts :(
Finished up the wiring to the console and mounted it - almost 2 dozen wires going to it since it has switches for the windows, air ride and exhaust dumps in it - old GM window switches pirated from Pick n Pull.
Doors go on tomorrow!! :):)

Attachments

• DSC00649.jpg
    DSC00649.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC00650.jpg
    DSC00650.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC00648.jpg
    DSC00648.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC00646.jpg
    DSC00646.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 60
Got the doors on today, handles, window motors and installed the glass and felt channels. I only use tempered glass in the doors, laminated is too easy to crack when the door is slammed, especially with such a long narrow window. To hold the felt channel in I use PL construction adhesive.
I hate to backtrack but an annoying tranny drip needs to be fixed while it's up on jackstands - the tranny guy warned me that it is hard to get a chrome pan to seal :mad: - it has to come off and I'll grind the sealing surface to give it a less slippery surface with some 'tooth'.

Attachments

• DSC00652.jpg
    DSC00652.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC00653.jpg
    DSC00653.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC00655.jpg
    DSC00655.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC00657.jpg
    DSC00657.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 94
Got the doors on today, handles, window motors and installed the glass and felt channels. I only use tempered glass in the doors, laminated is too easy to crack when the door is slammed, especially with such a long narrow window. To hold the felt channel in I use PL construction adhesive.
I hate to backtrack but an annoying tranny drip needs to be fixed while it's up on jackstands - the tranny guy warned me that it is hard to get a chrome pan to seal :mad: - it has to come off and I'll grind the sealing surface to give it a less slippery surface with some 'tooth'.

Same thing happens with chrome Oil Pans.
What did you use for the felt window channels? I am looking for some to purchase by the foot.
The car looks better and better all the time ZZ.
Torchie

Beautiful work as always zz. (Contrary to popular belief, black is the new black. [ddd)

What are you using for insulation/sound deadener? It looks like a product I used in "The Foil Palace". I've found other practical uses and wonder if it would serve this purpose.

Attachments

• IMG_0310.jpg
    IMG_0310.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 51
Same thing happens with chrome Oil Pans.
What did you use for the felt window channels? I am looking for some to purchase by the foot.
The car looks better and better all the time ZZ.
Torchie

I don't really know who the main supplier is, I just buy it from The Old Car Centre (a parts store in Langley B.C. Canada), it comes in 8' lengths. It comes in several styles, for framed or unframed glass, with or without a chrome edge bead. Maybe Speedway carries it??

Beautiful work as always zz. (Contrary to popular belief, black is the new black. [ddd)

What are you using for insulation/sound deadener? It looks like a product I used in "The Foil Palace". I've found other practical uses and wonder if it would serve this purpose.

After finding out how much Dynamat would be ($600 - $1000 !!) I went to Rona and got a big roll of foil backed bubble stuff for $50.00 It works pretty good for heat, if you double it up, it does deaden sound some too. No good on floors, it will squish flat. My upholstery guy has some jute backed stuff for that.

Up and running again, heading off to the upholstery shop tomorrow. :D Still a bunch of little things to fiddle with but when he has an opening to do the interior, I won't pass it up.
While it's getting threads, I'll start doing the bodywork and paint on the front end tin.

Attachments

• DSC00660.jpg
    DSC00660.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC00663.jpg
    DSC00663.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC00665.jpg
    DSC00665.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC00667.jpg
    DSC00667.jpg