1939 Plymouth Rat (snake)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kenny c,

Here is a pic of a firewall with the booster mounted inside. The small hole is for the vacuum hose.

Attachments

• IMG_3746.jpg
    IMG_3746.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 61
Some really nice work you have done Charlie bob, can't wait to see
how that little engine works out... love what you've done so far...
by the way what's the status on the 56 Dodge?

Some really nice work you have done Charlie bob, can't wait to see
how that little engine works out... love what you've done so far...
by the way what's the status on the 56 Dodge?

Thanks, Big Picture.

The 56 Dodge keeps rattling along. Low & Slow & Noisy. It serves as a "shop truck" that I am not afraid of scratching or denting! Friends as well as my wife tell me that I cannot sell it ... because "is so much like me." I guess that means old and rusty :D

Finally got the rear body panel formed, although I will need to refine once it is welded in. Definitely challenging because of the body line/bead and curvature.

The inner panel, which is sticking down, will be cut to appropriate size.

I'm not looking forward to all of the hammer welding on the rear panel and 4 smaller patch panels. But it is necessary.

Attachments

• panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 37
Thanks, guys.

Put the frame and body back together to mark the location of the new body mounts. Body is now back on the rotisserie for welding of the floor and patch panels.

Frame moved to storage for a while. My "frame removal tool" is easier to "steer" than 4 buddies with a case of beer. But not nearly as much fun!

Attachments

• IMG_3614.jpg
    IMG_3614.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3620.jpg
    IMG_3620.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 40
Finished patch panels and new flooring. Rather than bead roll the trunk floor, I made underneath supports that will also serve as mounting points for a fuel tank.

Next up is finishing the body mounts.

Attachments

• IMG_3628.jpg
    IMG_3628.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 28
I'm getting way ahead of myself and made a trunk latch from an old Volvo hood latch. I need to be sandblasting the body, but we have had constant rain or drizzle for sometime. Better that the severe cold and snow some of you have had; nevertheless the weather is hindering my build.

Volvos had dual hood latches like this in the 80s and early 90s (unsure of exact years and models). They also make reasonably clean hood latches for many of the old cars. Some of the old Volvo door latches also have potential.

Attachments

• IMG_3643.jpg
    IMG_3643.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3644.jpg
    IMG_3644.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3645.jpg
    IMG_3645.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 31
I like the looks of that Volvo latch. I need something like that for my car, the factory latch is a joke. I want something when I latch it will stay latched, not pull up and still be latched on the open trunk lid.....:eek:

I like the looks of that Volvo latch. I need something like that for my car, the factory latch is a joke. I want something when I latch it will stay latched, not pull up and still be latched on the open trunk lid.....:eek:

Bama,

Hey from the other side of the State!

I've used the Volvo hood latch for a dual hood latch on a 36 Dodge, and a single latch on a hinged El Camino smugglers box. Pleased with both. They are only a few bucks at Pull-A-Part. Price depends on the person at checkout!

Volvo has the dual latched connected to a single cable, with lever mounted under the dash. Not too difficult to remove and adapt all of it.

NICE !!! good info on the latch too.....years ago (when you could find them)
I used to use the power self closing latches from mid 70's Caddy's ,
think I still have a couple.....;) somewhere...

Great info, now if I had a Pull-apart closer than 4 hours[P[P

I can sympathize with you, DozerII. Lived in MT for 5 years. There are places in the northern Plains where it is a long way to nowhere! Sometimes that is good .... but not when you need parts. :)

Lots of work left, but it is a good feeling to get the body shell in epoxy primer. Painting the frame is next on the agenda, weather permitting.

Attachments

• IMG_3696.jpg
    IMG_3696.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3698.jpg
    IMG_3698.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Back