Sectioning a body?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddog

Here he comes to save the day!
I am wondering what you guys know about sectioning a body.
More specificly, the bottom of the body (at the doors) and the bottom of the doors need significant repair. Could I just shorten things up a bit?
Is this called sectioning?

Thanks.

I took two inches off the bottom of the Bonehead truck because it was rusted away. Now the bottom of my doors are the bottom of the truck.
Alot of the really good sectioning is to lower the whole vehicle, and is taken out of the middle of the car. Much like a chop, the two parts are then welded back together with an inch or two, ( or more) removed.

Here are a couple that are way sectioned. You can see the seams.

Attachments

• datsun.jpg
    datsun.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 104
  • cool vebud3.jpg
    cool vebud3.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Bonehead, I went to your website and looked at your truck. (cool videos BTW). What you did is an good look for a truck hotrod like yours. I will keep that in mind for the next one. I would want to keep the rocker below the door for the proper look on the Topolino. I guess this would be a more traditional section.

I have the desire to make it very radical but not so radical that it screws it up. I have seen that and that wont work for this one. Finding that line is tricky.

On one hand I agree with 35 master, keep it somewhat original.
On the othre I want to chop, chanel and section it while stretching it by pushing the front end out forward.

Very long, low, loud with a bad a** motor and drive train.
Engineered well with some original ideas.
Safe, roll cage and good brakes.
All done without high dollar bolt on parts.

An original. Almost a cartoon. No, definatly a cartoon. A drivable cartoon.:cool:

Thats what I want. Now how far to go without going too far.:eek:

Please feel free to comment everyone. I promise to do what ever I want anyway.:D

Well, if I had that body, I would leave it alone, and build around what you have. No section, no chop. But you better do what you want!

Why would you leave it alone?
Does it have a traditional appeal to you?
Is it too valuable to irreversably cut up?

Whats your thinking?

Yes, and yes. I think it is going to be hard to improve on the shape of the body for a hot rod. I suppose I could go for a mild chop, but I would not go crazy. I mean it is one thing to cut up a Datsun pickup, or an old beatle.
I just know that when I see a car like yours done up as a hot rod it draws a crowd, and has some kind of appeal to my generation. It may be a curse for you, by not letting you express yourself like you want to. Or maybe you will come up with the new blueprint that future builders will look to.:)

I do know what you mean. Too much of a good thing can be bad.

Its my lack of experience that gives me very wide boarders to romp in. That could also be enough rope to hang the poor little car.:eek: I dont want to do that.

I am trying to avoid building "just another hotrod Topolino"

Attachments

• 6627ix8krp0ig0.gif
    6627ix8krp0ig0.gif
    76.8 KB · Views: 30
  • sheeprodder (Medium).jpg
    sheeprodder (Medium).jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 31
Dog.If I was going to do anything to it I would just do a little chop.But probably wouldnt do that either.Those cars are so rare that they draw the crowds on there own.But its your car and do what makes you happy.
Just my .02

About the only thing I would do with that car as far as body mods would be to add maybe 6 or 8 inches to the length of the hood where it meets the cowl. With a suicide front end I feel it adds just enough length to make the proportions just right, and give you a little more engine space without invading the passenger compartment. ;)

About the only thing I would do with that car as far as body mods would be to add maybe 6 or 8 inches to the length of the hood where it meets the cowl. With a suicide front end I feel it adds just enough length to make the proportions just right, and give you a little more engine space without invading the passenger compartment. ;)

Sounds like you are right on the money by stretching the body a bit to be in proportion with the chassis.

I think your all on the money.
I am just testing you.:D

Not gona section it.
Will do a mild chop.

I like the idea of adding a few inches of legnth to the nose.

Thanks for all your input.

Latest posts

Back