York 210 compressor

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmlcolorado

Hey folks!
I've been looking into converting a York 210 AC compressor to utilize as an engine mount air compressor.
I wanted to see if anyone has done this and if so, how did you like it?
It seems to push quite a bit of air. I'm thinking of running a 10 gallon tank so I'll need a bit of push.

Any tips or tricks to convert one? I read up on the oil mod, but wondering if there's anything else I should be aware of.

I know oil depleation is a major factor and has to be replaced, So a seperator may need to be used.Use a pressure switch and it will cut on and off automaticaly.Never actually run one but did a little reading on them.

I know oil depleation is a major factor and has to be replaced, So a seperator may need to be used.Use a pressure switch and it will cut on and off automaticaly.Never actually run one but did a little reading on them.

This was going to be another post for once someone who has experience in them posts, but:
My understanding is that there is an oil passage that you can tap and install a screw into to block off the oil. This is to the right on of the cylinders. Supposedly, this helps about 90% of the oil blow by.
I was going to see if I could weld this hole rather then add a screw.

I was planning on running a air/oil seperater, or two, to keep oil from getting into my valves and other pneumatic things.

I a,so heard if you modify the plug at the bottom of the air/oil separator by adding a hose from the bottom and have it tie into the suction side of the pump, then add a ball valve so you can crack it open every now and then for a second or two, you could keep the oil contained in the system.

I imagine the oil recycled would be milky from moisture.If there is a way to restrict the oil from being sucked out of the comp that would help a lot.I may have to do some more reading.LOL

I imagine the oil recycled would be milky from moisture.If there is a way to restrict the oil from being sucked out of the comp that would help a lot.I may have to do some more reading.LOL

Mayb, and I'm just thinking out loud here, if you build a fitting for the output on top of the compressor, and make a large (1" x 3") chamber filled with steel wool? Install it at a verticle angle so the oil naturally wants to drop back down under zero pressure conditions.

Dunno. Just tossing ideas out there.

An inline filter/dryer could work for that.

Suction-Line-Filter-Drier-SSF.jpg

Yorks work great as engine driven compressors. All my Jeep buddies have them for on board air for 4wheeling. They run air tools and fill tires very well. I do remember my friend does turn a valve every couple uses to put the oil back in the pump. I used to work in a shop installing air bag suspensions. We installed a couple Yorks in some trucks. They worked a lot better than the loud electric compressors that always failed.

I have one with a leader hose and it had a slandered air compressor air filter on it. I got it from a guy who built it and was using it on his jeep. I had the line made never did put it on the truck and I have no interest in doing it. If you would be interested in it make me an offer and pay shipping and it is yours.

I don't know if he did the block off screw, he did tell me to get an oil/water separator.

Haven't tried it myself, but a friend has it on his jeep.
Works good, not only for airing up tires, but some tools also.

Here are a couple links:

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/project-cj7/project-cj7-onboard-air.htm

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/yorkair.html

Nice first post! :)
Thanks for the info! I think I will be doing this on the rod for the air suspension.
Now.....get your butt over to the intro forum and introduce yourself :D
And post pics of any projects you might have....... We love pictures.

I am currently assembling one for my jeep actually. You could run an in line oiler on the intake and a dryer on the back end. You should do just fine getting a 10 gallon tank up to pressure within a few minutes. My buddy (jeep guy) has a 2.5 gallon on his jeep and its at pressure in under 2 minutes. I found a few at a swap meet for about 20 bucks each just make sure you get one with a clutch that works.

Also you dont necessarily need a 210 - the other one will work equally as well. Here is a link to a company that specializes in that setup and you can gain some insite there as well:

http://www.onboardair.com/

Hope that helps.

Oil leak

The older York compressors have an oil sump and don't push oil through the lines like the newer vane stile (mid 80's). The newer vane stile require all the fancy oil separators. Keep the old hard lines and use a brass compression fitting on the outlet to an air compressor relay then to your tanks. When the manual relay (pressure regulator) kicks the clutch off it will drain the pressure off your compressor and make it last a lot longer.

Pm me for my # and I'll talk you through it if you get stuck

Kurt

Latest posts

Back