31 chevy chop cuttin question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rat truck 41

i just bought a coupe and im havin a hard time figuring the chop out ....i want to do a 5" chop but the back window is only about 7.5" so i really only can cut it 4" in the back window so that i will be cutting through were the window comes down straigh (you guy's know what im talking about )...ok now when i go to the side of the car the windows are like 12" so thier is a ton of room for cutting ........what i need to know is how do i chop the sides 5" and blend in the rear window at 4" .........thanks

Attachments

• 1e83_12.jpg
    1e83_12.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 1025_12.jpg
    1025_12.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 32
Sorry, I went too fast, and didn't say it right. In the standard chop, you would pick the horizontal line and remove what you don't want to make chop.
In the chop you want, the horizontal cut comes around to a vertical line on both sides of the rear window. The metal lost on the sides has to be taken above the window or below the window, or both, on the back part of the cab.

Sorry, I went too fast, and didn't say it right. In the standard chop, you would pick the horizontal line and remove what you don't want to make chop.
In the chop you want, the horizontal cut comes around to a vertical line on both sides of the rear window. The metal lost on the sides has to be taken above the window or below the window, or both, on the back part of the cab.

ok but how does that allow me to chop out 4" in the back window also if i do that that will allow me to leave the rear window stock correct and give me a 5" chop on the side's with no cut in the rear window

IMO,Five is going to be alot for that car.I would go 3 1/2 maybe 4.Put the visor back on it then put a 5 inch board on the winshield and sit in a make shift seat and see if you are gonna be able to see.Even in my 29 with visor on there isnt alot of visibility with it stock.You may end up looking at the red lights sideways.

I recomend getting hold of a tex smiths' ''how to chop tops'' book and do some reserch ,and take your time planing your top chop [especially if your a first timmer.] the back window is easy to figure out ,i would take it out and put it back after the chop is done and you can tell how much 4'' will efect the rest of the chop .
5'' is a radical chop on that car[i love radical myself] but if this is your first time chopping ,maybe take out 3 or for first and see how it fills[or looks ] and then take out the 5or 6 more if you like.
Measure twice and cut once!!!!! but five sounds good to me.

here is a pic of my current project that i just chopped 7''!
Picture036.jpg

Picture039.jpg

this isnt the first one but it is the first coup chop ive done them on trucks and a tudor they came out great ......i think to make it simple i might just chop out 4" all the way around

Attachments

• IMG_1625.jpg
    IMG_1625.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 39
Sorry i didnt notice the profile pic. I been following your build on that truck.
I love blowers !but never got to ride in a vehicle that had one,i bet its a real blast ? how does it do for ya?? Is it real bad on gas?Has it been rough on head gaskets ?
i hate to see you give up on the 5'' chop if thats what you really want ,then go for it!the back window is really no big deal to do 4'' or less if you want[If i cuold use the scanner better i would draw you a picture for it] .Some people even lowwer the whole window down so they can turn and look out it easyer ,because they have to lower the seat down so much .

well i chopped it today it came out very well i went with a 4" chop i think it worked great the back window looks good i think any more and it would have not looked so good because of the shape of the chevy rear window .....oh i forgot to ad i did catch fire from hot slag rollin down the body and hittin my jeans they had some freyed holes in them ....its a bitch when ya have the mask on and your busy welding then ya smell something and whaaa laaa

Attachments

• IMG_1683.JPG
    IMG_1683.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1684.JPG
    IMG_1684.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1685.JPG
    IMG_1685.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1687.JPG
    IMG_1687.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1690.JPG
    IMG_1690.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
lookin good man!
Now if you can do something about that ride hight?
Fire is always fun!

i due time im pullin it off the frame and going over evrything also pullin the fenders cuttin the frt frame horns off flush and removin the rear leaf im going 4 link ill set the ride height then low and mean ........:eek:

Latest posts

Back