Older Than Dirt Quiz...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In '63, when I was 12, I would ride my Schwinn sky blue J38-6 Sting-Ray bike to where the teenagers and hot rodders hung out (useually Fisher's High Boy or the town square).
They Would holler for me to do wheelies across the lot for them. I would do this until 10:00 or 11:00 and had a freakin ball.

December, 1941. I was 6 months old. My mother put me in front of the radio so I would hear the President declare war on Japan. Now THAT'S old!

Anyone remember the green and red plastic coins called mils left over from the war years? I do remember penny postcards and 3 cent stamps. I just now remembered my Dad hiring an old guy to drive his team of horses across town to plow the garden.

They saved a lot of trees when they stopped printing the yellow pages....but zip code?

50813592_1401846849951823_411026957182959616_n_zpsxg1snn5q.jpg

They saved a lot of trees when they stopped printing the yellow pages....but zip code?

50813592_1401846849951823_411026957182959616_n_zpsxg1snn5q.jpg

I dunno about that list Eman? I still have a land line, still get a phone book with yellow pages, still use zip codes, still use a road map atlas, still have a stereo, and still wear a wrist watch! And I prefer knobs over buttons, and I'm way over being underage! :eek::D

My family has said I'm living in the past. So what's the problem.

Attachments

• 20190126_135913.jpg
    20190126_135913.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20190126_140527.jpg
    20190126_140527.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20190126_141454.jpg
    20190126_141454.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 15
Here's one... the little 5 cent glass bottle cokes from the vending machine with the lift up lid ?

Glass bottles? What? Are you in the stone age? Just kidding e-man, I remember little bottles and vending machines of many designs... first to mind is a chest type cooler with bottles mostly immersed in chilled water... work your choice through the channels and up the gate, pull it by the cap and hope the gate is open. One shot and only one shot...

Glass bottles? What? Are you in the stone age? Just kidding e-man, I remember little bottles and vending machines of many designs... first to mind is a chest type cooler with bottles mostly immersed in chilled water... work your choice through the channels and up the gate, pull it by the cap and hope the gate is open. One shot and only one shot...

So Doc remember how we figured out that if you pulled hard and quick on the bottle the chance of success get'n the bottle out was much greater.

Was devastating for a kid to fail and not get the soda. :(
Never did the straw technique EMan.

Yep that chest type cooler.
So you are probably familiar with the bottle opener and straw technique as well then :rolleyes:
That's what got me kicked out of Boy Scouts.:eek:[ddd[ddd
And please. No retorts that have to do anything with the Brownies.....;)
I still remember going to the empty lot at the end of our street to look for the pop bottles dropped there. Got 2 cents apiece for em, I did.:D
Torchie

Yep that chest type cooler.
So you are probably familiar with the bottle opener and straw technique as well then :rolleyes:

Yea, we didn't have much money so the bottle opener and straw turned us into little thieves :rolleyes:
Man, if I had gotten caught, my dad would have worn my azz out :eek:

Yea, we didn't have much money so the bottle opener and straw turned us into little thieves :rolleyes:
Man, if I had gotten caught, my dad would have worn my azz out :eek:

My dad had a belt Iron us boys feared. I remember now the orange soda was the most likely bottle to defeat ya with the odd shape.

So Doc remember how we figured out that if you pulled hard and quick on the bottle the chance of success get'n the bottle out was much greater.

Yes, I do.

If memory serves me, my delinquent younger brother found a way to jimmy/cheat the gate and take a few more. (I was an innocent bystander. :rolleyes:) My father would have tanned our hides if he knew, but I figured those damn machines owed us a few.

Never did the cap and straw trick, though I later learned to "shotgun" beer with a straw "vent" in the bottle.

Dad wore a belt most of the time. He also kept a spare in a kitchen drawer for quick access when he wasn't wearing one. Matt Dillon had nothing on my Dad... he could tear that belt off and whip snap it before you made a step for the door!

Latest posts

Back