Life without wipers

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazarat

It was a beautiful afternoon for cruise, and I headed to the Friday night meet, Lakeland Florida, about 15 miles away. As the sun is going down, I notice this cloud forming to the west, where my home is. not to bad, looks like it will swing by to the north....or so I thought.

The sun is still mostly out, but the folks with the convertibles and top downs started bailing as a here and there drop hits out of nowhere. My bud with the 34 dodge rat rod, which has neither wipers or glass, except for the windshield, suggests we go south, then west, which is still sunny, maybe take the long way around and beat the storm which appears to be to the north, and heading east....and growing.

And grow it did. By time we got going and headed south, we were being hit by the big pellets, not too bad, the RainX appears to be doing its job...so i thought.

Now heading west and into the sun, the edge of the storm, and its big pellets are to my right, go that way for several miles. Heading north towards I 4, I am in a rainstorm, the RainX not doing too well, but I can still see, the main storm now still on my right.

As I get close to the interstate, beating out a semi to make the left on the ramp...I see it being sun full out to the west where i need to be. Great! The storm behind me....so I thought.

Now I am in a cloudless sky, completely blinded by a full sun...and a serious downpour! WTF???

With my visor down, and the windshield completely covered in a river of H2O, and the sun low and in my face, I am driving so completely blind, that I had to use my peep mirror to make sure i was still in my lane, and all I can see are cars racing up on me with their fancy windshield wipers. I was driving probably at 55, trying to stay out of the way, and yet slow enough while poking my head out to see what was in front of me, especially the slower peeps entering the interstate.

After about 10 minutes of this nonsense the onslaught stopped just as I found my exit, and made it home. All I can say about these afternoon storms are how strange and unpredictable they can be. This morning I redid the RainX, but next time if any, I will wait it out and not try to beat anything.

I'm bored, felt like telling my story, hope you enjoyed....EDIT: Added a couple pics to show my buds car, some weird yellow truck, and offending cloud forming.

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
great story... [cl

been there several times... had no fun... when possible turn right, into the grass, tune radio and wait till its gone :D

Sounds like a good time to me :D
We hit the same kinda storm going to Dewey Ok. Stray Katz show this year.
I have wipers on my 37 and still had a hard time seeing :eek:

Rainx works better on some vehicles than others. My Lincoln has a large flat windshield, you'd think it would work great, but no, it doesn't. It will bead water, but won't roll off. Terrible if you're in a light drizzle/fog.

I've used it for years on semi truck side glass and mirrors. On my current Freightliner Cascadia, I reckon the thing is so aerodynamic, air flows by the side glass and mirrors, instead of over them. Tried Rainx on it, it was no different than it was without it. Water beads up on it, swirls around a bit, but never runs off. Almost impossible to see out of the mirrors when it's raining.

I'm going to use a Newport electric wiper motor on the Lincoln one of these days. Kinda pricey, but supposed to be a bolt in.

Great story Lazarat. My plan was to use RainX on the Graham....I guess time will tell how much it works on that car. I use it on all my daily drivers and really like the stuff.

Wipers... we don't need no stinkin' wipers!!! [ddd[ddd[ddd

BoB

Attachments

• Daytripper.jpeg
    Daytripper.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Back