Doodlrodz Modified Build...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please give us a heads up!!!

I just want to keep building, so quite often I end up selling my projects before I ever drive 'em. This is my 3rd build and haven't had one on the road yet, maybe this time.

Doodl,
Great lookin' stuff & hopefully u'll give us a heads up if u decide to sell this 1 early!!!

BoB

Thanks guys, yeah I should have kept the last one, think I'm addicted to change. Had some bad news lately concerning my eyesight so I have been trying to figure out what to do, either sell everything and get a driver to enjoy while I still can, or just keep building and hope things work out for the best. I really enjoy the build process and creating something but I see how much fun these guys seem to be having going to the shows and cruise ins, think maybe I'd like to try that for a while. Can't really afford to do both right now, just finished 8 years of the kids college tuition. So if I have too much coffee in the morning everything goes up for sale, then later in the day I think what the heck did I do that for ? Sorry to ramble on, guess I had too much coffee today too.

Thanks guys, yeah I should have kept the last one, think I'm addicted to change. Had some bad news lately concerning my eyesight so I have been trying to figure out what to do, either sell everything and get a driver to enjoy while I still can, or just keep building and hope things work out for the best. I really enjoy the build process and creating something but I see how much fun these guys seem to be having going to the shows and cruise ins, think maybe I'd like to try that for a while. Can't really afford to do both right now, just finished 8 years of the kids college tuition. So if I have too much coffee in the morning everything goes up for sale, then later in the day I think what the heck did I do that for ? Sorry to ramble on, guess I had too much coffee today too.

Oh no sorry to hear about the eyesight problem. Please keep building your car.

Both cars are really good looking tho, I know the current on is not near done yet. I know the feeling of smiling when walking into the garage. I do that quite reguraly now that I'm making noticeable progress with my wife's truck.
Hope to see more of your progress as you go.

Coffee's kickin' in, here's a what would YOU do question. The 21" radiator is supposed to be here today for my modified, got the torque tube and driveshaft shortened, I'm real close to gettin' this puppy going. Here's the problem, I've got this '32 3 window project that I bought last fall, somebody made a scroadster out of it years ago, I bought it because a guy north of me sells the Dearborne Deuce 3 window and said he'd sell me the parts to put the roof back on. So I buy the car, and find out the Dearborne stuff won't work, so I try Brookville, well seems Kenny's always " out of town " so nobody else can help. So I bought an old '33 Chevy 3 window stock car body, looks really close and after it's chopped should even look closer. Now the problem, can't afford to build both cars, my heart is in the modified, I know I'm crazy everybody wants a '32 3 window, but I'd have to use the engine, trans, rearend, tires and wheels etc. to build the 3 window. From an investment standpoint of course it's much smarter to build the 3 window. So do you follow your heart, or your wallet ?

What a choice!?

From an investment standpoint of course it's much smarter to build the 3 window. So do you follow your heart, or your wallet ?

Dood,
Wow, tough choice!!! All I can say is... u're modified is really sweet but if $$$ is a concern... u know the answer! Personally, I would have a hard time tearin' the modified up to build the 3-window! Coin toss is always good!!! ; - >

BoB

Dood,
Wow, tough choice!!! All I can say is... u're modified is really sweet but if $$$ is a concern... u know the answer! Personally, I would have a hard time tearin' the modified up to build the 3-window! Coin toss is always good!!! ; - >

BoB
As a kid I always wanted a chopped and chaneled coupe, but somewhere along the way I got derailed by the modified bug.

Either way!

As a kid I always wanted a chopped and chaneled coupe, but somewhere along the way I got derailed by the modified bug.

Doodl,
I think either way you go will be fine! You do really nice work and I have to say, I really love your modifieds!

Rattler

Last edited:
Your decision, dude. Tho, I will say I prefer the modifieds to the '32's. (I know I ain't rite) Just too many done. Not many people do modifieds & your's look real good. My $.02.

Modified!

Here's my 2 pennies worth: Put the 32 up until you find the correct pieces to put the roof back on, save up some change and buy a few parts here and there and before you know it you'll be ready to do that 32 the right way. I think the modified would be way fun, at least drive it for a little while if ya got that much invested and see if ya like it or not.

Here's my 2 pennies worth: Put the 32 up until you find the correct pieces to put the roof back on, save up some change and buy a few parts here and there and before you know it you'll be ready to do that 32 the right way. I think the modified would be way fun, at least drive it for a little while if ya got that much invested and see if ya like it or not.
I much prefer the modifieds myself, problem is all my play money is tied up in the deuce, and with my recent health news I'm re-thinking which way I should go. I would really like to just dump everything and get a driver that I could enjoy now. I don't think I'm going to have the time to sit on the '32 and collect parts to finish it right, I have dragged the frame out of storage, and started cleaning it up figure I'll put all the expensive stuff in the Deuce and try to trade for something I can drive now.

Doodlrodz, really wish you well on the eyesight thing. I can relate, something is changing in my eyes too. Over the last six months it has gotten much worse, very quickly, and if I spent too much time on the computer my eyesight is blurry the rest of the day. I should go have it checked, but am chicken to find out, I guess.

I hope everything is ok for you.

Don

Don, Man get it checked out, there's a lot they can do now days if they catch it early, don't take any chances. I just thought it was age kickin' in, went for a yearly check up and found out it wasn't just age. Shouldn't be a surprise, my aunt who passed away last year was legaly blind for 20 yrs. Guess I was just unlucky enough to inherit that gene. I'm sure crossin' my fingers that mine will progress slowly, but it does give you a sense of urgency. To get off this topic, your project update is looking great you sure do nice work. Keep up the good work.

Doodlrodz, don't let the sight thing get you down. I know a man in a small town in my area that is a painter, has been for years, started when he could see, now he's legally blind and still lays down some awesome paint jobs. Don't know how he does it but he does.

Well the coffee kicked in yesterday and the Modified is no longer. Tore it all apart pulled the engine and trans. dragged the '32 frame into the garage and mocked up the engine mounts and got them tacked in. Gonna spend the whole weekend boxing the frame and finish welding. Hope to have it rolling by Monday. Gonna put the Oakey Adams front axle in it and the Halibrand quick change. Not sure which way I'm going on the body yet, see what happens when I get there. Wife's at a horse show with the camera today, daughter will be here on Sunday I'll try to get her to help me out with the picture thing. Gonna put the '53 Merc. in the modified frame and a '40 pickup rear with 4.11s found a '32 cowl, she's gonna be the '32 doodlebug I've been wanting to build. I'll keep you guys posted, and hope to have pix. soon.

Tripper, Been thrashin' hard, that's why I haven't been on here much. I tore the modified all apart, dragged the '32 up to the garage finished cleaning and boxing the frame, got it all mocked up and decided it sat too high, tore it back apart and put in a Model A rear cross, and a reverse eye spring in the front. Got it all done except the drive shaft and torque tube. Spent the last two days strippin' the old paint off the body, finished it up just before the rains came today. Still can't do the pic. thing, been too busy to deal with it. I'll try to get my daughter here to help me out soon, I promise.

Latest posts

Back