Father and son '35 hotrod project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you are right, gloss black (gasp! dare I say it on this board?) would look good. maybe nickel plate some stuff for just a little muted shine to set off the black. Still ooks good though either way. Looking at your truck in the bare metal state made me think of parkerizing on gun barrels. And then I was trying to think of how I could get that effect on a large piece such as a cab. Hummm....[S

It was nice to get to meet you and your son.

The truck looks even better in person, very well built, looking forward to seeing it finished.

BTW, your other cars are simply amazing, awesome work. [dr

It was nice to get to meet you and your son.

The truck looks even better in person, very well built, looking forward to seeing it finished.

BTW, your other cars are simply amazing, awesome work. [dr

Thanks. It's great to meet you face to face too, especially other guys doing a father n son project. I was glad you made the time to come down and chat awhile. Good luck on your project and let me know if I can ever help you on it. Those "other cars" are the are the only way I can keep going on our hot rod, so hopefully we'll keep building them too. They're not as much fun though!

Clay Phillips

Attachments

• IMG_1133.jpg
    IMG_1133.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1134.JPG
    IMG_1134.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1136.JPG
    IMG_1136.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 84
you are right, gloss black (gasp! dare I say it on this board?) would look good. maybe nickel plate some stuff for just a little muted shine to set off the black. Still looks good though either way. Looking at your truck in the bare metal state made me think of parkerizing on gun barrels. And then I was trying to think of how I could get that effect on a large piece such as a cab. Hummm....[S

Your on the same track as us. I kept getting asked at the show what kind of finish we had put on the frame and suspension parts? We played around alot with some gun bluing acid compounds, but couldn't get it right. So then we wire brushed the steel to make it somewhat uniform and put a home brew mix of POR 15 + Urethane Clear and thinned it with lacquer thinner. We brushed that on and wiped it off as needed to get the look we wanted. I was after a natural, pewter look. So far, it's sealed the bare steel nicely from rusting up but still looks natural. If I had come up with this in the beginning, I would have left the cab bare steel and sealed it up this way. It takes some playing around to get the darkness you want, but it's worth the time.

Attachments

• 2c (3).JPG
    2c (3).JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 4b (3).JPG
    4b (3).JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 72
I have seen some guys use heat from a torch to get "blued" effects but if you try it on sheet metal it will progably distort it. A friend did a chopper tank by hitting it with 36 grit on a 4" air sander. Once he had the swirls he added a little red tint to the clear. You could see the swirls under the redish tint.

nice!

Great little truck. Are you going to put glass in it? How does it drive...because it sure looks like fun to me!

Latest posts

Back