Starting to build the '39 Dodge truck again.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

Now that the T is at least running, and the bodywork is pretty far along, I've decided to try to get the Dodge truck done in time for Daytona. My Son's '29 will not be done in time as he is planning some major items to do to it :)(), and I want him to have something to drive to the Turkey Run. I think I can do it in the 98 remaining days, especially since it is not going to be anything special cosmetically.......just sort of a bobber in flat paint.

Yesterday I cleaned all the stuff from on and around it to appraise what I had to do to it, and blew off a year and a halfs worth of dust. Made a list of things to do, and surprisingly it isn't a really long list. We already built the 30 over 394 Olds, the rear suspension is done, the chop is pretty far along (still have to do the doors, no biggie) and it needs some tinwork like the bed being built, and a floor in the cab.

Luckily I didn't steal too many parts off of it to build my T, so I have all the big stuff like radiator, front end, etc. stored away. I went to a local spring shop yesterday and they are making me a custom front spring main leaf that should be done today. Last night I sandblasted all the front end parts and plan to shoot some primer and black paint tonight on those.

Dan doesn't know I am planning this yet, and I won't tell him till its up on wheels. That way he will be able to envision that we have a shot at getting it done in time.

Here are some shots of the body after I cleaned it off, and what I got done yesterday sandblasting.

Don

Attachments

• dodge sandblasting parts 004.jpg
    dodge sandblasting parts 004.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 217
  • dodge sandblasting parts 005.jpg
    dodge sandblasting parts 005.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 142
  • dodge sandblasting parts 006.jpg
    dodge sandblasting parts 006.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 119
  • dodge sandblasting parts 008.jpg
    dodge sandblasting parts 008.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 131
This mockup shows how it should end up looking when we build a hood, etc.

Don

Attachments

• dodge hood mock up.jpg
    dodge hood mock up.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 114
  • dodge hood mock up 2.jpg
    dodge hood mock up 2.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 148
Wooo Hooo.... another one of Dons projects to watch. I always like to see what your up to. You do great work. :D

Yipppeeee!!!!!

Don,
I'm really glad u're back on the truck!!! I *always* learn something from what u & the boys r doin'! Since I'm close behind u on my PU build I'll definitely b following with great interest! Thanks again for sharing with all of us!!!

BoB

Thanks guys. Hope I don't fall short on this thing schedule-wise, but I sure am going to give it my best shot. Plus, when Dan gets involved with the bed building and tinwork it should move ahead pretty well.

We'll see !!!:D:D

Don

truck is coming along well. You should be able to meet your deadline, with time to spare. This will be good to watch.

Thank you guys. I'm a little tired this morning, was up till about 3 priming front end parts last night. Have axles and stuff hanging up all over the place. :D If the spring shop gets my main leaf done today I can get it primed and hang the front end. They "lost" the mandrel to form the eye at the ends of the spring, and are trying to make one to do the job !:confused:

If that happens I'll shoot some pictures tonight.

Don

I'm gonna hold you to that LFE. :D I went to pick up the main leaf I was having made 3 inches shorter than the stock one today. First shock was it cost $ 108.87 which is NUTS. The whole spring cost $ 45 new. Second shock was that the new leaf was EXACTLY the same length as the old one I took it. I used some language I couldn't use on RRR (they didn't have a zapper :D) and told the guy my weekend plans to get the front end installed were now not gonna happen. He said they are open till noon tomorrow and will bust his tail and have it ready by then. We'll see.:mad:

Anyway, all the parts that I epoxy primed were dry, so I laid them out in preparation to mount them, if and when I ever get the main leaf. Here are some pictures of the parts I am using.

BTW, this axle is designed to use Chevy '49-54 spindles, and since I am a drum brake kind of guy, I am using '54 Chevy drum brakes on the front. As I get into putting things together I'll post more pictures in case anyone else uses a similar set up.

Don

Whoops, hit wrong button.........here are the pictures.

Don

Attachments

• dodge front end parts primed 001.jpg
    dodge front end parts primed 001.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 79
  • dodge front end parts primed 003.jpg
    dodge front end parts primed 003.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 106
Sure Bob. My Son built the interior subframe for me for a Xmas gift a couple of years ago. He used (I think) Jeep 4 x 4 body round rubber body mounts to support it. They are under those 6 bolts you see in the pictures.

Here are a couple shots of the interior.

Don

Attachments

• dodge floor dan built for me.jpg
    dodge floor dan built for me.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 94
  • dodge sandblasting parts 005.jpg
    dodge sandblasting parts 005.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 86
Many thanks!

Sure Bob. My Son built the interior subframe for me for a Xmas gift a couple of years ago. He used (I think) Jeep 4 x 4 body round rubber body mounts to support it. They are under those 6 bolts you see in the pictures.

Here are a couple shots of the interior.

Don

Many thanks Don!!!

BoB

Ok, here is a little update. It's 5 am and Dan and I just got in from spending 17 hours working on the Dodge. I hung the front end and he built a bed. Both seemed to come out fine, especially the nice bed he is building.

We've decided to make this a sort of "A/Altered " drag car........a lot like Boneheads. We slipped the slicks from my T on it, and that is what we are going to go with.

Here are some pictures of what we got done today. I'm so tired I can't even see straight. Time for a shower, some dinner, and BED !

Don

Attachments

• dodge more work on front end and bed 004.jpg
    dodge more work on front end and bed 004.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 97
  • dodge more work on front end and bed 006.jpg
    dodge more work on front end and bed 006.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 94
  • dodge more work on front end and bed 008.jpg
    dodge more work on front end and bed 008.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 121

Latest posts