My first build. 42-47 Ford truck.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kouki

Like it says, this is my first build of this type. This is going to be a complete budget job so I will keep track of how much everything adds up in this thread. This isn't going to be your usual pick-up though, I have something a little different in mind, I'll show you when I get that far. [ddd

It started with a 42-47 Ford 2-ton truck that I bought off a guy for $350. It used to be a grain truck and during the 40 years it was sitting someone cut the frame off behind the cab, so I bought everything from the cab forward. It will be powered by a SBC with a TH350 behind it. I already have the engine basically complete sitting in the corner. I want it to sit low, be loud, and unique. Here are some pics when I first got it about a month ago.

IMG_4103.jpg

IMG_4104.jpg

IMG_4105.jpg

IMG_4146.jpg

Started taking it apart about 2 weeks ago. I sold the locked up flathead v8 to a guy for $250 so that brings my current cost down to $100. Then I scrapped the old frame for another $80 which makes my costs come down to only $20 into the cab, not too bad.

Overall the cab is pretty nice. It is very solid, with only a small amount of rust through on the right rear cab corner, and the floor of course, but that part doesn't matter much. There is one dent in the roof but it should pop out pretty easy. The door hinges have been modified at some point in time with a brace welded from the hinge to the door on the outside, I'll have to fix that. I'm planning on chopping the top about 5 inches, and changing over to suicide doors as well. Here are some pics from the strip down.

IMG_4144.jpg

IMG_4145.jpg

IMG_4107.jpg

Cab is now sitting on the ground. I picked up a complete 46 Ford car wishbone front end setup for $100, so I'm back to $120 invested. I'm debating if I should run it suicide style or not. I bought 40ft of 2x4 3/16 tubing to start on the frame. That ran me $180, so $300 total investment to date.

I started measuring out the cab length and figured out how long I need the center sections to be. Then I started cutting. Then I laid it on the floor and took the chalk and tape measure and started going from there. I marked out where I wanted my ride height, took some old tires about the sizes I wanted to run, figured out my centerline of the axles and should have pretty good frame measurements. I got almost everything cut for the frame rails yesterday except for the rear upper rails. I'm not sure how everyone measures how high their "z" is, but between the top of the lower rail and the bottom of the upper rail is 4" in the front and 12" in the rear. I did this yesterday, I haven't started welding so if you see something that doesn't look right let me know so I can adjust before hand.

I do have a couple frame questions though. As for the width, I see alot of people stick with around 24" inside the rails for the width. I also see alot of people run straight rails the whole lenght, while others have the frames taper in rear to front. Does it make much difference if it is straight or tapers?

Here are some pics from yesterday.

IMG_4207.jpg

IMG_4210.jpg

IMG_4208.jpg

IMG_4209.jpg

Here is the frame laid out on the floor.

IMG_4203.jpg

IMG_4205.jpg

I do have a couple frame questions though. As for the width, I see alot of people stick with around 24" inside the rails for the width. I also see alot of people run straight rails the whole lenght, while others have the frames taper in rear to front. Does it make much difference if it is straight or tapers?

I think the biggest thing there is the type of rear suspension you plan on running. And if you will have a bed. The thing is the rear axle is usually much wider and sticks out from the frame. Rear leaf spring pads are usually wider on an existing rear axle. On alot of old trucks the spring pack is outboard of the frame, adding to the width. The only other issue is body mounts. But a 24 inch ID frame will hold a cab just fine.
The build looks great so far, keep up the good work.

Looks like a really solid cab you have there, didnt see alot of rust. Should help make the build go faster without alot of repairs.
Keep us posted with plenty of pics as you progress.

great look n iron to start with. looks like they could nt make up there mind on what color they wanted it. great old paint, whats the plan wet sand and wax or just leave as is?

The rear suspension will be a coil-over 3 link set-up. I will be running box sides and something a little different out back as well.

It looks like it was originally red, then went green, then the tan color, and each one is flaking off! It will probably get painted, either flat black, or maybe a flat red, not for sure yet. I have some work to do before I get that far.

looks like a really solid start on a cool build...

i'm wanting to know what you did with that grille!?!?!?![dr

i'd make a "charitable donation" for your ratrod in exchange for those grille bars...;) ....seriously lemme know:eek::D

Not a ton of progress lately, been really busy with work and the family this time of year. I did get the frame rails welded up and tacked some angle across the rails to square and level them up. I need to set the cab on to see exactly where I need to weld in the motor mounts. Once I get that done, I can add the tranny mount and start welding in the real braces for the chassis. Here are a couple pics.

IMG_4253.jpg

IMG_4254.jpg

Good looking old cab you got there. It looks like a good build. Did you throw the pedals away with the frame? I usually get at least $50 out of those when I junk one of those trucks out. That cab has great patina, I would be tempted to leave it just like it is, except for the chop of course.

I have been getting a little more done on this project. I picked up a 8.8" rear from an explorer, 3.73 lsd and disc brakes for free. I changed my plans for rear suspension. I will be going with coil springs and 4-bar.

I set the cab on the frame, added a few braces underneath. I welded up some upper mounts for the coils to ride in and welded cups on the rear end. I made some combo frame plates/4-bar mount points and welded them up. I still need to make the 4-bar brackets for the rear end and finish making the bars. Then I will make up a panhard bar set-up for it.

It's going to be pretty long, looking like 144" wheel base. I need to figure out exactly how I'm going to do the front end. I really wanted to go suicide with the 47 ford wishbone axle I have, but I may have z'd it too much up front for that to work, may have to go spring over. I'll have to wait until I pick up some front wheels to figure that out for sure. My dilemma there is what to do with brakes though. I cant decide which way to go, disc front conversion or rebuild the drums. I figure it will probably end up close to the same price either way. I just don't know if it would be weird to have disc rears and the old drums up front.

I have several pics to post and will get them up tomorrow. I would like any opinions and input/advise.

Is drum front/disc rear even safe? Personally, I'd go disc fronts anyhow since I like to be able to stop fast.

Here are some pics of the progress. The first ones are while it was still in the shop, it is blocked to about where I want the ride height. The last ones I had to pull it outside to make room for other things in the shop for the day.

IMG_4521.jpg

IMG_4522.jpg

IMG_4523.jpg

IMG_4524.jpg

IMG_4525.jpg

IMG_4526.jpg

IMG_4527.jpg

IMG_4528.jpg

Latest posts

Back