My first build. 42-47 Ford truck.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking about keeping the clearance lights, I found some extra lenses under the old seat when cleaning out the cab, if they are the right size to repalce the broken one, I will get them running.

I'm also thinking about keeping the big round signals that are mounted on the cowl, what do you think?

I'm looking for a little input. I'm thinking about cutting about 4" off the bottom of the cab and channeling it back over the frame. If I do that I will have to cut down my z in the front so the heads don't stick over the cowl. I just got to looking at everything and I'm thinking that if I do a 6" chop the rest of the cab will look too tall and out of proportion. I'm not sure if I will cut the bottom of the cab but I've been toying with the idea. What is everyone else's opinion?

There's many alternatives. The most important thing is that you fit inside reasonably comfortably so you will want to drive it a lot. Next is that is pleasing to your eye. Then, the opinion of others comes into play, but only to the extent that you care. My attitude is, as a viewer of hot rods and rat rods, the more, different ways guys build their cars and trucks, the better.
Yours look good they way you now have it. It'll look good with the bottom trimmed off too.

Been a little while since I updated. The bottom will stay, and frame will stay with the same z it has. I remeasured everything and it will work great the way it is.

Progress has been slow as of late, new job has left me with little extra time to work on the truck.

I went to a big swap meet a couple weeks ago and picked up some more parts too. I got an old Weiand single carb tunnel ram for $130, a complete pair of stainless semi stacks for $125, a pair of chrome exhaust turnouts for $20 and an old front spring that ended up being 1" too long for $15.

I finally got my brackets made for the rear end so I can mount up my 4 bar and figure out the panhard bar mounts. I welded braces on the bottom of the wishbones for spring perches and welded up the bungs in the ends of them for the heim joints. I picked up some new pivots and shackles from speedway too, adding another $85 to my total investment. I started measuring for the front spring and just my luck, I need a size that nobody sells. I went to a local company that specializes in springs, and they are making me a custom spring for $175, which didn't sound too bad considering the closest one that posies listed was $180.

I started drilling a 2.5" hole in the front frame rails for my cross tube, but decided I better get a 1/2" corded drill to finish the job, my dewalt cordless didn't seem to like running that hole saw through 3/16 steel. Thats about where I am so far. Hopefully this weekend I can crank some work out on this, its starting to get nice and its nowhere near ready to go.

The rear end is ready, I finally got the 4-bar brackets made and welded on. I made a panhard bar mount and got it welded up too. I need to finish tapping my bars for heims and I can mount the rear under the frame. Then I will figure out a panhard bar mount for the frame. Still waiting on my front spring to be finished so I can finally have this thing rolling.

IMG_5154.jpg

IMG_5153.jpg

Slow going project. Work has been busy which is good for the pocketbook, but not so good for getting this project on the road.

Tally so far, I have about $750 into it.

I have the front end mounting figured out, just waiting on ubolts to show up, got the bungs welded in the wishbones for the heim joints, and made the brackets and welded them to the frame. I used 2.5" 3/16 wall tubing for the front cross bar and a scrap of the 2x4 3/16 tubing from the frame for the spring perch. I still have some cutting and grinding to do on the front of the frame to match the round cross bar.

I'm also waiting for some swedged bars to come in for my rear end, so I can finally have the axles mounted under it and not just sitting there.

Here are a few pictures of where it is now.

IMG_5748-1.jpg

IMG_5750-1.jpg

IMG_5749-1.jpg

IMG_5751-1.jpg

I don't think I'm going to be using that as the grill when done. I started making that from the original grill by cutting a v in the top and bottom and tweeking it in to that shape and welding it in place. I ended up picking up some model a and a t grill shell from a guy for a price I couldn't pass up so I will probably use those.

Here is the other one me and my dad are working on. I've been trying to talk him into letting me just put my cab on this and go cruising!

IMG_6649.jpg

IMG_6650.jpg

IMG_6651.jpg

IMG_6652.jpg

To each his own but that grille you made out of the original is WAY COOLER than any Model A or Model T grille shell..........JMO.

That chassis your working on with your Dad seems pretty nice but I can't really tell with all the glare :D:D

Glad to see you making progress on the truck.

I agree with Snake Farm - that grill you fab'd up looks way cooler. Really fits the build.

I need to watch better for updates on this. Good build.

Alright, I'll finish up the grill I started making from the original. More progress, I'll get some pics up tomorrow. Motor and tranny mounts are in. I got the firewall cut out to fit the tranny, and started cutting out the floor. Going to get the floor framed up and mounts made for the cab to frame this weekend. Then I can start chopping the top! I'm hoping to pull about 6" out of the pillars.

Didn't quite get as much done as I hoped for :( But progress is progress.

I started framing up a new floor structure for it. Still have alot to do, but I have the outside framing made up and tacked in place. I need to cut out the middle along the back of the cab and notch it for the driveshaft, but that will wait until I have the rest of the subfloor made up. I'm doing this to help keep the cab squared off while getting this all mounted.

It's finally starting to look like something now that it has the engine sitting in it.

IMG_6744.jpg

IMG_6745.jpg

IMG_6746.jpg

IMG_6747.jpg

IMG_6748.jpg

IMG_6749.jpg

IMG_6750.jpg

IMG_6751.jpg

I finally got the chance to get some more work done on this. I pretty much finished up building the subfloor structure and tacked the cab mounts in place on the frame. I didn't get any good pics of that yet as the inside quickly filled with scrap pieces.

After that I tacked some metal in place to brace the top of the cab for some cutting. I ended up taking about 5 1/2" out of the top all around. I got a few pics of it after the cut with the top sitting back down. I'm going to have to stretch it about 3 inches to get everything lined up. I haven't split the top yet as I'm debating what to do there. With the rear window opening lined up on top and bottom, the sides on the top are about 3/8" too narrow to line up with the bottom of the cab. Where do you suggest I make my relief cuts, in the bottom of the cab and narrow it, or on the top and spread it to fit?

Also I've been toying with the idea of cutting out the center of the roof and leaving it open with maybe one bow running across, similar to the Model A style. I haven't seen a cab this style done like that before so not sure how it would look. I'm leaning towards doing it though. What do you all think?

IMG_8432.jpg

IMG_8429.jpg

IMG_8428.jpg

IMG_8431.jpg

IMG_8430.jpg

I had a few hours today to work on this a little more. I got the rear of the cab all lined up and fit. I had to make a few relief cuts to widen the rear of the roof so everything would line up. So I have the rear all tacked up, have some finish welding to do on the rear seam and weld up the relief cuts.

Once the rear was solidly in place, I cut a big hole out of the middle of the roof. Im going to end up running it open, will brace it with 1" strap all around the opening, and probably run one bow across the middle. I did this for 2 reasons, one is because I haven't seen anyone running a cab of this vintage like this, and the second is to save the time of filling the gap across the entire roof.

After that I halved the roof so the front section was loose. I did a little grinding to get it lined up to where I liked it, and tacked the windshield posts. I used a short piece of strap and some vise grips on both sides to keep the front and rear in line, then I finished up welding the posts. I started cutting scraps from the drip rail to fit the gap. I only had enough time today to get one side burned in.

I think it's gonna look pretty good with the open roof, what do you think?

IMG_8932.jpg

IMG_8933.jpg

IMG_8934.jpg

IMG_8935.jpg

IMG_8936.jpg

IMG_8937.jpg

IMG_8938.jpg

Another day to work on the truck. I had a few hours today and did alittle more burning on the top. It doesn't look like much got done, but I guess thats what happens when you have to fight the steel to fit like I want it to.

I finished burning in the drip rails and got the fill panels made and welded in where I had to split the top to stretch it. The rest of the top lined up so nicely when putting it back on that I knew something was going to give me a fit and today I found it.

The front and rear roof lined up almost perfect for the fill panel on the pass side, so close I could probably grind the weld, prime and paint it with no filler. The drivers side....not so much. It was off by almost an inch, I had to twist, hammer, grind, etc just to get the drip rail to line up. The cab had a big dent on the drivers side rear corner of the cab so I'm sure thats what caused the problem, After some "negotiation" with the roof, I was able to get the drip rail welded in and at least be acceptable, more body work than I was hoping for in that area, but oh well, cant win them all. So after that I put on the fill panel and finished connecting the cab back together.

After that I took out my 1" strap and made the 4 pieces to support my skylight opening. Cut them to length and clamped them in place, I lined them up with 1/2" overlap to give me room to weld to and smooth it out. I think it turned out pretty good. I couldnt get the strap to quite hold the arc I needed on the front so I ended up making a small relief cut in the very center of the roof to get it to lay down evenly. I think it turned out pretty nice.

What do you think about keeping the clearance lights on there with the open roof? If I don't keep them I am thinking about making a visor for the front out of an old semi heat shield that I have laying around, its all stainless and has holes about every inch.

I threw one of my seats inside to climb in and get a feel for it as well. The seats are out of an old boat. I will end up just using the fiberglass shell they are in and having some flush cushions made up for them instead of the bulky old pads in it now.

The windshield opening is about 6.5" now, I ended up taking about 6 inches in the rear and about 7 in the front to get everything lined up.

Now for the pics.....

IMG_9092.jpg

IMG_9093.jpg

IMG_9094.jpg

IMG_9095.jpg

IMG_9096.jpg

Latest posts

Back