My instant classic!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in day 5 since getting the truck home I've discovered that yes the brakes definitely need attention but little needs to be done body wise or for that matter floor wise they are solid so I'm even more stoked about this build![;) The funny thing is I bought a lincoln welder expecting to put it to use on a daily basis but alas I have found a rose in a field of thorns.[cl The dirt pile in the last picture is about half of the crud that was sitting on the floor, under the seat. You might notice a hole in the windshield ... The only one not designed by the manufacturer!

Attachments

• IMG_4408.JPG
    IMG_4408.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4426.JPG
    IMG_4426.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4438.JPG
    IMG_4438.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4441.JPG
    IMG_4441.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4443.JPG
    IMG_4443.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4432.JPG
    IMG_4432.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4427.JPG
    IMG_4427.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4423.JPG
    IMG_4423.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4421.JPG
    IMG_4421.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4375.jpg
    IMG_4375.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 24
Is that your front drum setup? Looks so different :-(

I wish I had 2 pistons! I got one...its so weird!

Yup that's my front drums, do your drums have ball bearings or roller ? I'd like to see your set up to compare with this one if possible.

Mine are these -

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1841348

My setup is almost identical to yours, the only difference would be the wheel cylinders. Any chance you can take a picture for me of how they mount?

Mine are these -

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=314086

One piston setup which I don't understand...

Mine are these -

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1841348

My setup is almost identical to yours, the only difference would be the wheel cylinders. Any chance you can take a picture for me of how they mount?

Mine are these -

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=314086

One piston setup which I don't understand...

here are a few pics of the front and back of the way the brake cylinders attach. Kind of hard tio see but they attach by 2 bolts on either side of the line.

Attachments

• IMG_4445.JPG
    IMG_4445.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4446.JPG
    IMG_4446.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4447.JPG
    IMG_4447.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4449.JPG
    IMG_4449.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4450.JPG
    IMG_4450.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 7
here are a few pics of the front and back of the way the brake cylinders attach. Kind of hard tio see but they attach by 2 bolts on either side of the line.

Yeah, that's how my rears are - directly in line with the other horizontally, my fronts are single piston with a diagonal style bolt pattern unfortunately. Weird.

I ordered some fronts off a dodge...hope they're right!

Hope they work for you, I will be searching for the parts to restore the old girl I also know when I get the mill running I can take the starter and generator to the local hutterite Colony and have Jonathan check them out and rebuild if needed, He did my old Ford generator for $40.00.[cl

Nice truck you've got there!:cool: Sounds like you're making some good progress... Keep up the good work![cl[P

You Prairie Provence guys are SSOOOO lucky when it comes to old vehicles... We never find them that solid in Ontario.:(

Hope everything works out as you're planning.:cool:

Regards,
Shea:)

Nice truck you've got there!:cool: Sounds like you're making some good progress... Keep up the good work![cl[P

You Prairie Provence guys are SSOOOO lucky when it comes to old vehicles... We never find them that solid in Ontario.:(

Regards,
I know I lived in Ontario for quite a few years and built one rat rod there ( trouble was there wasn't much tin on the old car)

Last edited:
you planning on leaving the original engine in it? I recently sold a 54 IH with the straight six and a 3 speed, pretty darned gutless..but to me too much power is just enough:D:D

you planning on leaving the original engine in it? I recently sold a 54 IH with the straight six and a 3 speed, pretty darned gutless..but to me too much power is just enough:D:D
My wife thinks I should keep the original as I have had 5 speeding tickets in the last year. I haven't really decided yet on the engine. However if it does come about yanking it, I will be considering either a Flathead Ford or a diesel. I have access to both.

Last edited:
I really got lucky with this truck even the dash has not been molested.:D I just wish I could say the same for the seat ( I found a huge mouse nest there)

Attachments

• IMG_4458.JPG
    IMG_4458.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4451.JPG
    IMG_4451.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 19

Regards,

Here's my first rat rod it is a 1960 Envoy given to me by a guy that was thinking about restoring it (he was 70 years old then) The old girl had 16000 documented miles but the time spent in his fields did a real number on her. There were no floors left in the front and even the seat bracing was rotting. Got it just north of Kingston Ontario, and it is still in Kingston

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back