My instant classic!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Removed the mouse nest

To remove the mouse nest I had to strip the seat down to the bare metal frame the springs and shells are outside airing out some ( stunk of mouse urine). I also tore the drums off of the hubs and am taking them in to get machined tomorrow. I will be taking the heater apart so I can have the core and radiator checked and fixed if needed.Man I don't believe how simple it was to remove everything NOTHING was seized where removing bolts were concerned. This without anti-seize LOL The last pic shows the tools I found under the seat a jack, lug wrench, and the engine hand-crank.

Attachments

• IMG_4457.JPG
    IMG_4457.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4462.JPG
    IMG_4462.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4461.JPG
    IMG_4461.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4458.JPG
    IMG_4458.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4454.JPG
    IMG_4454.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4452.JPG
    IMG_4452.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4450.JPG
    IMG_4450.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4442.JPG
    IMG_4442.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4460.JPG
    IMG_4460.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I found my bottle jack and tools too! Is that a picture of your rear drum? Looks similar to mine but damn that's a small axle/hub! Haha

I'll try get some pictures of mine for you tomorrow, currently working on doing my front - I'm lowering my truck so I'm doing axle over leaf, hopefully it lowers it pretty good to give her a good stance.

I would love to see other pics of your truck Tecster as mine may wind up being set on 110 suspension after all, being that it has to go through an out of province inspection and the mechanic doing it won't sign it with the 3 piece rims! The engine is toast as well I had it filled with diesel for almost a week now and tonight I tried turning it over with a 3/4" breaker bar and a 4' long pipe on ... NOTHING !!!:( didn't even budge at all. I'll pull it for a rebuild later.

About the inspectin. Get a different mechanic. I happen to like split rims. Not fond of the three piece ones, but they are not the ones known as widow makers.

There is a lot of disinformation regarding split rims. The real nasty ones were two piece that joined together at the centre section. The ones you have just need to be cleaned, inspected for flaws and a stretched lock ring.

All tire rim combinations are inherently dangerous. My cousin was airing up a car tie on a tire machine once. When the tubeless tire popped up onto the bead, the rim broke in half. The resulting release of energy wrote off the tire machine, and embedded the upper half of the rim in the shop roof.

There was another subsequent release of energy that really smelled bad. :rolleyes: but no damage.

Gold03.

About the inspectin. Get a different mechanic. I happen to like split rims. Not fond of the three piece ones, but they are not the ones known as widow makers.

There is a lot of disinformation regarding split rims. The real nasty ones were two piece that joined together at the centre section. The ones you have just need to be cleaned, inspected for flaws and a stretched lock ring.

All tire rim combinations are inherently dangerous. My cousin was airing up a car tie on a tire machine once. When the tubeless tire popped up onto the bead, the rim broke in half. The resulting release of energy wrote off the tire machine, and embedded the upper half of the rim in the shop roof.

There was another subsequent release of energy that really smelled bad. :rolleyes: but no damage.

Gold03.

I'm actually a mechanic by trade myself and just think he was being a BIT anal as I explained to him these are no more dangerous than most farm implement tire/rim combos which he works on, go figure !

Seems like you might be on the road before me! Lucky you!

Today I put the front brakes back together, I was fortunate enough to have the ones froma 67 Dodge W300 fit perfectly! Now I'm just waiting for the new wheel bearings in the mail, then the brakes will be ALL brand new besides new shoes in the front. Also got the clutch master hooked up and finished cutting out the floor and started making me a new floor...lacking a welder I'm just trying to do alot of prep work for my welder who will come in and help.

I kinda think you might get yours up and running before I do there Tecster because I am still working out a few kinks in mine where designing is concerned. I'm ont sure as to which route mine is going to go quite yet.[S

Engine woes

Yup it's official; The engine is kinda toast so I have to go with the alternate plan until I can rebuild mine I have decided to hot rod the old girl with this engine. After all it does have the same horsepower rating !Ok so maybe it has more ?

Attachments

• IMG_4465.JPG
    IMG_4465.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 20
Gear ratio

I finally crawled under the truck long enough to clean up the diff and discovered that my gear ratio is actually a 7.39 : 1 , this means it'll climb walls but won't cross the road without running out of gas :eek: so looks like I'll be searching for a different rear end for her :( any suggestions out there?

here's a good site with lots of rear end widths.
I've used S10 rears and Ford 8.8 (Explorers) on a few trucks with good success
but all depends on the width you need.
http://www.carnut.com/specs/rear.html

Thanks Bob I was sort of thinking Ford Exploder as well considering the main ratio in them is somewhere around 3.73 or so ( besides I like the blue oval):D

A bit more done on the R130. Removed the windshield tonight in preparation for the new one coming in. Also pulled the driver's inner door panel off to get working on my window, it rolls down without a problem but balks all the way up . Turns out there is a channel broken loose at the back of the door.[S no big deal .I'll have to check into the passengers side later. BTW where the rust usually makes holes around the base of the windshield is not bad, pretty solid, no holes there at all!:D The passenger side fenders are a bit stoved in so I may do some massaging to get them less noticeable before I get it mobile.

Attachments

• IMG_4475.JPG
    IMG_4475.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4480.JPG
    IMG_4480.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4470.JPG
    IMG_4470.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4469.JPG
    IMG_4469.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4471.JPG
    IMG_4471.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4473.JPG
    IMG_4473.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4477.JPG
    IMG_4477.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4476.JPG
    IMG_4476.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4474.JPG
    IMG_4474.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4481.JPG
    IMG_4481.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 8
Hey, what's your carb look like? 1barrel or 2? do ya happen to have a model number?

I need a rebuild on mine and can't find crap for info!

Hey, what's your carb look like? 1barrel or 2? do ya happen to have a model number?

I need a rebuild on mine and can't find crap for info!

Mine is a 1 barrel Carter F Y that's about all the information I could find quickly as I'm heading back to my day job.:(

Attachments

• IMG_4488.JPG
    IMG_4488.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4489.JPG
    IMG_4489.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4490.JPG
    IMG_4490.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back