Willy's Wild Ride

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronFreak

When I was very young I got an infection, you know the one I'm talking about. The smell of gas and exhaust gets you excited, turbos, superchargers loud exhaust makes your heart beat to the point of explosion. It's incurable; once you have it it'll NEVER go away.

I got this disease from my grandpa "Willy", he had been around cars forever, was a judge for the world of wheels for longer than I have been alive. Grandpa was always off the beaten path though, when the popular cars to hotrod were the Chevy’s and Fords, grandpa was knee deep in Chrysler, Olds, Buick and Studebakers. And man was he good at it. Grandpa could look into these cars and pull out the true potential, which usually took more than a nice paint job and sweet wheels......more like several years or re-shaping it into what he saw in his mind’s eye.

I was exposed to more creativity.....or madness depending on your view point then any young child should have been. Maybe I don't have a disease, maybe a better turn is an epidemic......Hotrods, road racing, drag racing, rat rods choppers custom fabrication and welding all melded into one sick little disease......implanted in my brain, yup epidemic. Grandpa went to be with the Lord a few months back, yeah it’s just a car, but I'm building it for him for all the memories, lessons and skill he gave me while here on earth.

Thank you Grandpa.

Now to give you an idea for what is in store. I am married and a full-time college student so money isn't a free flowing commodity. That being said I have a lot of connections, and I work for a steel company, I have been a fabricator professionally for over 5 years and a garage professional way before that.

Body is going to be a 52' Chevy cab, fenderless with a custom mini truck box (for now). Love it of hate it, it's going to be a challenge for sure. It will be chopped......sectioned and channeled to some degree or another (don't you just love surprises ;) ).

Frame will be custom, why?......because I can. I have a lot of ideas I have seen and liked, some not original and I'll make sure I give credit to whomever its due if need be. Front suspension will be a mustang II front end........shoot me now I know "What is he thinking, those look like crap on rat rods!!".........Challenge accepted!

Power plant and drive train........this is where grandpa starts to creep in. He "disliked" Chevy.......so, in his honor this Chevy truck will be powered and moved by a complete Ford drivetrain.........DUN DUN DUUUN! I have a H.O. 302 roller motor, still searching for a T5 tranny and a fully built 9" from a Jeep project; it's going to be nasty!

The rest, well it’s a surprise to keep you coming back. To put all silliness aside, there are many of you on here I highly respect for your ability to build some very sick rides. I am very opened minded and love taking in your thoughts and considerations........so please don't hold them back.

SO........ON WITH THE BUILD!!!!

Here is what I got done Saturday. I had a lot to get done that day so I started pretty late.

20121110_144852.jpg

20121110_144950.jpg

I was going to get the doors bolted on first and all lined up but I went through every bolt I had, and no 3/8x1x24 were found. So I moved on to putting other parts on so I can cut it apart later..........[S

The guy I bought it from was in the process of restoring it so he had all the patch panels for replacing the front cowls. I figured this was a good place to start, not sure yet how I'm going to clean up the front but these were part of it so I put them on.

20121110_144940.jpg

20121110_151850.jpg

20121110_161759.jpg

I was able to get both sides put together and all tacked up, I know I'll be cutting the crap out of this in the near future so that’s where I left it. I then decided to go out and about to find bolts for my doors...........HA! RAPE AND MURDER I TELL YA! I looked at 3 places, second stop had 5 bolts, at .90 cents each, FOR 1" BOLTS!!! REALLY??.........Then I had a brainfart and thought.....well its a truck, I bet O'Reilly's has some. they did.....for a $1.19 each!. Needless to say, I have my purchasing guy at work ordering them for me today, and the doors were never installed.

Thats what I got so far, stay tunes, hopefully here by Christmas we will all really get to see Willy's Wild Ride take shape.

Well, for one it'll all be tubular control arms, I plan on pushing the front axle center line out away from the cab a little and pull the grill back so the front plane of the vehicle is inline with each other.

Thats my technical reasoning.....in all honesty I have no idea, I want to be able to drive the crap out of this, in a fast manner, and I want it to handle well, so that is my intent.

On a side note, I was able to get my door bolts for .15 each at work, that put a smile on my face. I'm going to see, if I get all my homework finished(sound like I'm in high school again) I'll bolt them up Wednesday night.

Wait a minute

Are you guys telling me IFS can't look good on an open wheeled car [S I don't have a fancy Mustang II, just an ole Pinto but it looks ok to my eye and handles quit well.
Ironfreak go for it :cool:
[cl[cl

Attachments

• Build 082.jpg
    Build 082.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 35
Thanks for the replies guys, thats one nice little ride man!

I guess the other reason I am using the MII front end is I have a lot of parts for it, and no parts for a beam axle. Remember I'm not highly funded in the hobby area right now. My uncle and I went through my grandpa's shop over the summer and we found spindles and upper and lower control arms for an MII. I'm going to jig the control arms up and make tubular ones. Hopefully the spindles will work.....what I have planned for wheels might end up needing drop spindles. I also have done a ton of research and designed my own MII cross member based on information I was able to compile.

MUSTANG+2+CROSS+MEMBER+CONCEPT+Model+%281%29.jpg

I cleaned up the dimensions so you could see it a little better, but it'll have dimple die holes to lighten it up and all the other good stuff. I also have a drawing of the upper shock mount. I think I want to go coilover as I might have more luck finding something I can afford.

I just got my bolts for the doors, convenient that I also have school tonight......depending on how late class goes I might sneak home and put them on. Stay tuned more pictures will be coming this weekend!

Darn hinges

Well I made a little more progress on it this week.......very little. Had a lot of homework to finish up before the holiday, but I'll have a lot of free-time now to work on it this weekend.

As you know I finally found my bolts for the door hinges, I went to bolt them all on the other night, as I grabs the lower passenger hinge, it fell apart.......

20121119_171146.jpg

As you can see the hinge wasn't in great shape. the lower tab had been either broke off or cut off, but the repair process someone was intending to use wasn't working. So I went to work........

20121119_172337.jpg

I had some old door pins from an S-10 laying around so I bored the bracket hole out a little more to fit.

20121119_173557.jpg

I welded up the top and bottom of the tab and cleaned it up.

20121119_174918.jpg

Since I didn't have any of the factory pin spacers I had to make my own, I had some 1/8" plate laying around. I cut a few of these little squares, welded them in and the cleaned those up.

20121119_180116.jpg

And BOOM, a functioning door hinge. I need to trim up the pin, and you can see there is a little slop in the spacing. I did that to make sure my holes line up in the door. Once I know where it has to sit, I'll drop a small spacer in to tighten it up a bit.

Hopefully these get bolted on this weekend and I get the chop marked out, that's my goal anyways.

Latest posts

Back